Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Old May 25, 2017, 5:24 am
Aman Contributor Badge

+1 on takkyubin.

While it is next day delivery, a smaller weekender type bag worked fine for us having a change of clothes, toiletries etc.

You simply call the front desk, they send bell staff to measure the luggage, and give you the receipt , and the luggage should be waiting for you in your next hotel room the following day. Took all of 5 minutes and saved a ton of hassle on the transfer!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
+1 on takkyubin.

While it is next day delivery, a smaller weekender type bag worked fine for us having a change of clothes, toiletries etc.

You simply call the front desk, they send bell staff to measure the luggage, and give you the receipt , and the luggage should be waiting for you in your next hotel room the following day. Took all of 5 minutes and saved a ton of hassle on the transfer!
Thanks for this additional bit of information, Cityflyer10, I hadn't thought about the carry-on luggage option as I usually like to travel very light (ie I check most everything).
Old May 25, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

The next morning I explored the St Regis a bit and really liked what I saw: the property is in immaculate condition and has a fresh, modern and luxurious feel to it. I like it when hotels have their own, signature scent and St Regis is definitely part of that category as the lobby smelled exactly like all the other St Regis properties I've recently been to.

The terrace and Japanese garden on the Lobby level (12th floor).

The St Regis bar.

La Veduta (the hotel's Italian restaurant) also serves as breakfast room.

The breakfast spread was good (not as expansive as at the StR Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi but still good.)

The Eggs Benedict were pretty good, but paled in comparison to the ones served at the Shangri-La Tokyo Horizon Club.

We left the hotel at 8AM and met with our driver whom we had booked for the whole day to drive us around a carefully selected itinerary in Kyoto.
First stop, Kinkaku-Ji, also known as the Golden Temple...

...followed by Ryoan-Ji...

Straight out of a Marvel comic book.

...and finally Ninna-Ji...

...where we were fortunate enough to be able to listen to a monk choir.

Up Next: Kyoto Part II
Old May 25, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Thanks for this additional bit of information, Cityflyer10, I hadn't thought about the carry-on luggage option as I usually like to travel very light (ie I check most everything).
Same! Always check as much as possible.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Very tempting to leave for Japan right now.

Thanks again for the effort you put in your TR's.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Same! Always check as much as possible.
Indeed, offerendum.
I don't understand why some people avoid checking luggage, especially when flying in J/F and on a leisure trip.
The bags usually come off the belt pretty quickly and the fact that you're traveling with nothing to schlep around is really convenient.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Very tempting to leave for Japan right now.

Thanks again for the effort you put in your TR's.
Oh I could go to Japan every weekend if it wasn't so far away from home...
Thanks for your kind comment, miamiflyer8!
Old May 26, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: FT
I like the reports of the flights and hotels.

I enjoyed the Shangri La in Tokyo when I stayed there a few years ago. I was astonished at the size of our room which was just the basic one with our el cheapo corporate rate but wow, it was huge.

The pool is also nice although I don’t get how the Japanese don’t view pools as “fun” per se and more of something to exercise in. Having them provide the proper caps is funny and the powerful shower in the pool area at the Shangri La is actually pretty awesome. I do love the perk of the Horizon’s Club. That seems outstanding. Wow, does Kyoto Tsuruya look average. Almost something you could get in the department floor take out area. BTW thanks for the heads up… https://www.ago.net/ago-to-be-only-c...ama-exhibition

I will be sure to check this out.

I went with the IC in Osaka but damn, should have went with the St. Regis.

I might be a voice of decent but I just don’t get the cherry blossoms. Perhaps growing up in YVR and the annoyance of pulling them off your car etc. I see that was the purpose of the trip so I appreciate the number of photos that show essentially the same thing. I just would find the crowds overwhelming. Granted, I recently returned from Italy and would probably never go back unless it was in the middle of winter and snow storm…so perhaps I just don’t like people and don’t harbor any ill will towards cherry blossoms… ;-)
Old May 29, 2017, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
I like the reports of the flights and hotels.

I enjoyed the Shangri La in Tokyo when I stayed there a few years ago. I was astonished at the size of our room which was just the basic one with our el cheapo corporate rate but wow, it was huge.

The pool is also nice although I don’t get how the Japanese don’t view pools as “fun” per se and more of something to exercise in. Having them provide the proper caps is funny and the powerful shower in the pool area at the Shangri La is actually pretty awesome. I do love the perk of the Horizon’s Club. That seems outstanding. Wow, does Kyoto Tsuruya look average. Almost something you could get in the department floor take out area. BTW thanks for the heads up… https://www.ago.net/ago-to-be-only-c...ama-exhibition

I will be sure to check this out.

I went with the IC in Osaka but damn, should have went with the St. Regis.

I might be a voice of decent but I just don’t get the cherry blossoms. Perhaps growing up in YVR and the annoyance of pulling them off your car etc. I see that was the purpose of the trip so I appreciate the number of photos that show essentially the same thing. I just would find the crowds overwhelming. Granted, I recently returned from Italy and would probably never go back unless it was in the middle of winter and snow storm…so perhaps I just don’t like people and don’t harbor any ill will towards cherry blossoms… ;-)
Thanks a lot for your detailed comment, mkjr!
I do agree that the crowds can be overwhelming at times but the trick is to focus on the beauty of nature and just forget about the rest.
I've quickly become a huge Japan fan and cannot wait to go back to this amazing country, probably the most civilised in the world.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:43 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
JR's report has been teasing me the past 7 pages and I gave in. Just booked a quick 2 night stop over in Tokyo for July enroute to Phillipines...(will either return to Aman or RC Club level)

But agree with JR that it's one of the most civilized and unqiue countries in the world...and I say this as a Chinese American

Hope to live in Tokyo for a year at some point to truly soak up the culture and ramen!
Old May 29, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
[QUOTE=Justin Case;28240314]
Originally Posted by JohnRain

On the positive side, the car was brand new (it had less than 300 km on the clock).

Only 288km. Don't the have a " break-in the engine" procedure at Porsche? Or is this just a problem for the owner in 10 years time?
Not any more - at least according to my dealer when I picked one up recently, "drive it like you stole it - it's all run-in on the testbench nowadays so you are good to go."

When I got my last in 2006 there was a keep under 4K revs for 2K miles or similar which I (mostly) paid careful attention to...
Old May 29, 2017, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
JR's report has been teasing me the past 7 pages and I gave in. Just booked a quick 2 night stop over in Tokyo for July enroute to Phillipines...(will either return to Aman or RC Club level)

But agree with JR that it's one of the most civilized and unique countries in the world...and I say this as a Chinese American

Hope to live in Tokyo for a year at some point to truly soak up the culture and ramen!
Well done, BESVISOR... ^
Looking forward to hearing about your stay (especially if you end up staying at the Aman as I'm considering it for next year).

Originally Posted by catharsis
Not any more - at least according to my dealer when I picked one up recently, "drive it like you stole it - it's all run-in on the testbench nowadays so you are good to go."

When I got my last in 2006 there was a keep under 4K revs for 2K miles or similar which I (mostly) paid careful attention to...
Interesting, catharsis.
Good to know that I did everything right then, even if it wasn't my intention...

Update: the next installment will be online later today.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Nishiki market (a traditional food market in central Kyoto) was next on our list. There were many interesting types of food on display and I tried exactly one. Take a guess...

It wasn't this...

... it wasn't that...

...neither this...

...nor that...

Certainly not this...

...but this!

I bet Abe misses this guy.

A temple, a shrine or simply a small spot for meditation is never far away in Kyoto.

Gion, Kyoto's most famous Geisha district.

But, where are they hiding?

This place looks deserted.

Hmmmmmm.

Sorry ma'am, are you a geisha? No? Ok nevermind.

But you sure look like one. No? Oh I'm sorry, I'm just a stupid European tourist who thinks that every girl in a kimono must be a geisha.

Mazel tov, sorry don't know how to say that in Japanese.

Aaaah finally. The Geisha 2.0: follow me on Instagram.

The geisha episode left me a bit confused, which is why I can't remember the name of the temples I visited afterwards.

This one I remember (well actually I didn't but it is easy to find on google). Fushimi Inari, famous for its thousands of vermilion torii gates.

I've learned my lesson, I won't ask you if are, well, you know what.

Back at the St Regis...

...for a tasty bowl of Ramen...

...some sweets...

...and some well-deserved zzzzzz...

... before heading out for dinner to Hanagatami at the Ritz Carlton.

Sushi master hard at work.

And finally some dessert in the Lobby Lounge.

Up Next: One monkey rarely comes alone.

Last edited by JohnRain; May 30, 2017 at 3:22 am
Old May 30, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Thumbs up

Brilliant again JohnRain. I really must visit Kyoto again, it's been a while (more than 15 years I think!) and each time has only been for a day or two, there's too much to see for such quick visits.

My then wife was disappointed that we didn't see any Geisha. Well, she didn't but I did! I told her many times that they're not out and about until between 5 and 7pm and when it came to time to wander round Gion she decided to chill out in the hotel instead because we'd spent the day climbing hills. I went out and came across 2 or 3 pairs of Geisha on their way to "clients" - I thought it politic to not mention this to the mrs when I got back
Old May 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
JR: Great pix, once again!

Next time you run across a Japanese wedding (at least those in Hawaii with Japanese-Americans), you might want to raise a glass and say:

“Shinro shimpu, banzai!” which means “Long life and happiness to the bride and groom.”

Old May 30, 2017, 2:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'm sorry to disappoint you but many of them are Chinese tourists and not geisha.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 30, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.