Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:35 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
PH PVG and PH SYD are two of my favorite PH's in the world.

If PH PVG's service can elevate to the level of PH SYD then I would have no issue staying there anytime I'm in PVG.

People dislike staying on the Pudong side but getting around Shanghai isn't difficult and the view from PH PVG is unmatched by another in the city. The hard product may be a bit too cold for someone but I love it!

I hope you tried the duck, JR! The conecpt isnt' all that different from Duck Confit
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The view is indeed very good as you csn expect in this heights. The design is minimalistic. Only this terrible PH shower concept
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Gion, Kyoto's most famous Geisha district.

Sorry ma'am, are you a geisha? No? Ok nevermind.

But you sure look like one. No? Oh I'm sorry, I'm just a stupid European tourist who thinks that every girl in a kimono must be a geisha.

The geisha episode left me a bit confused...

I've learned my lesson, I won't ask you if are, well, you know what.
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Brilliant again JohnRain. I really must visit Kyoto again, it's been a while (more than 15 years I think!) and each time has only been for a day or two, there's too much to see for such quick visits.

My then wife was disappointed that we didn't see any Geisha. Well, she didn't but I did! I told her many times that they're not out and about until between 5 and 7pm and when it came to time to wander round Gion she decided to chill out in the hotel instead because we'd spent the day climbing hills. I went out and came across 2 or 3 pairs of Geisha on their way to "clients" - I thought it politic to not mention this to the mrs when I got back
Thanks so much for your compliment, rosensfole!
I also felt I only scratched the surface as Kyoto has indeed so much to offer it takes several trips to get a grasp of it.
Funny that you mention the geishas as in my case Mrs JohnRain was just as curious as me to see them...

Thanks a lot for your comment, 747FC!
That's good to know...

But, but, I thought that... what?
This is like saying the tooth fairy doesn't exist either!
Thanks for bursting my bubble, NewbieRunner...
Actually it was the concierge of the St Regis Osaka who enlightened me about the Chinese tourists posing as geishas.
Originally Posted by rosensfole
You're welcome - always look out for your reports.

Thankfully I know that Geisha have a particular design on their necks and so are simple to spot once you know...
Thank you for the report, JohnRain. First time responding to your post. I always enjoy your trip report. The arrangement and flow of your trip report is very easy to read and comprehensive, appreciate taking time to post detailed trip report. Your trip report communicates the impression of the places to be once in life time places and make people (least me) wanting to visit those places.

However, as a native of Japan I have to mention one thing, since this is too often confused and miss used term by non-Japanese. Those ladies in Gion (祇園) area of Kyoto works as an entertainer at high class private Chaya (茶屋, dining place) are called Maiko (舞妓) and not Geisha (芸者). Maiko (舞妓) and Geisha (芸者) have very different training background and often Geisha (芸者) is considered lower form of Maiko (舞妓).

One should not talk directly to Maiko (舞妓) when walking on a street. Today, there are many services at Kyoto which will dress tourists in Japanese Kimono (着物) which may look like Maiko (舞妓) in eye of non-Japanese but those tourists are wearing very cheap Kinomo (着物), nothing like high quality Kimono (着物) Maiko (舞妓) wears. Also there are places which has no relation with Maiko Okiya (舞妓置屋, where Maiko live and train) who will dress up like Maiko and take pictures with tourists. Actually, there is an unwritten rule that when you see real Maiko (舞妓) on a street you are not to take a picture. It is like Japanese tourists visiting London see local ladies wearing a cheap dress and a cheap dress hat from a discount store on a street and Japanese tourists asking if she is a Royal.

Also, Maiko (舞妓) in Kyoto is considered more higher class proper form than Geisha (芸者), it is usually an insult to ask Maiko (舞妓), “Are you Geisha?”

Ohayo Gozaimasu (おはようございます) = Good Morning
Konnichiwa (今日は) = Good Afternoon
Konnbanwa (こんばんわ) = Good Evening

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:26 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Thank you for the report, JohnRain. First time responding to your post. I always enjoy your trip report. The arrangement and flow of your trip report is very easy to read and comprehensive, appreciate taking time to post detailed trip report. Your trip report communicates the impression of the places to be once in life time places and make people (least me) wanting to visit those places.

However, as a native of Japan I have to mention one thing, since this is too often confused and miss used term by non-Japanese. Those ladies in Gion (祇園) area of Kyoto works as an entertainer at high class private Chaya (茶屋, dining place) are called Maiko (舞妓) and not Geisha (芸者). Maiko (舞妓) and Geisha (芸者) have very different training background and often Geisha (芸者) is considered lower form of Maiko (舞妓).

One should not talk directly to Maiko (舞妓) when walking on a street. Today, there are many services at Kyoto which will dress tourists in Japanese Kimono (着物) which may look like Maiko (舞妓) in eye of non-Japanese but those tourists are wearing very cheap Kinomo (着物), nothing like high quality Kimono (着物) Maiko (舞妓) wears. Also there are places which has no relation with Maiko Okiya (舞妓置屋, where Maiko live and train) who will dress up like Maiko and take pictures with tourists. Actually, there is an unwritten rule that when you see real Maiko (舞妓) on a street you are not to take a picture. It is like Japanese tourists visiting London see local ladies wearing a cheap dress and a cheap dress hat from a discount store on a street and Japanese tourists asking if she is a Royal.

Also, Maiko (舞妓) in Kyoto is considered more higher class proper form than Geisha (芸者), it is usually an insult to ask Maiko (舞妓), “Are you Geisha?”

Ohayo Gozaimasu (おはようございます) = Good Morning
Konnichiwa (今日は) = Good Afternoon
Konnbanwa (こんばんわ) = Good Evening

I just learned a lot over my morning coffee
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I don't usually log onto this forum, but when I do, I urge JohnRain to hurry up and finish the damn report.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
PH PVG and PH SYD are two of my favorite PH's in the world.

If PH PVG's service can elevate to the level of PH SYD then I would have no issue staying there anytime I'm in PVG.

People dislike staying on the Pudong side but getting around Shanghai isn't difficult and the view from PH PVG is unmatched by another in the city. The hard product may be a bit too cold for someone but I love it!

I hope you tried the duck, JR! The concept isnt' all that different from Duck Confit
PH PVG is indeed a great property BESVISOR. It has room for improvement on some levels but I certainly enjoyed my stay. I didn't have duck believe it or not, another reason to go back to China...

Originally Posted by offerendum
The view is indeed very good as you can expect in this heights. The design is minimalistic. Only this terrible PH shower concept
The shower concept didn't disturb me as much as the fact that the room didn't have sufficient lighting in my opinion, offerendum. Even with all lights turned on it was still too dark.

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Thanks so much for your kind and very informative post, AlwaysAisle.
I never addressed a Geisha, let alone a Maiko and I'm pretty sure that all the pictures I took were of Chinese tourists posing as Geishas, which means I shouldn't have made too terrible a cultural faux pas...

I just learned a lot over my morning coffee
So did I, BESVISOR...

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I don't usually log onto this forum, but when I do, I urge JohnRain to hurry up and finish the damn report.
LOL TOMFORD, I'm considering starting an Instagram account so that you don't have to wait so long between every installment...

Update: the next installment will be online tomorrow.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The shower concept didn't disturb me as much as the fact that the room didn't have sufficient lighting in my opinion, offerendum. Even with all lights turned on it was still too dark.
Common problem, don´t understand why it´s so hard to install proper lights.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The designers never had to shower in their own bathrooms!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Indeed, offerendum. Or maybe I'm just too old to appreciate the coolness factor of dimly-lit rooms

Originally Posted by Aventine
The designers never had to shower in their own bathrooms!
You might just have hit the nail on the head, Aventine!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

The windows of our room weren't the cleanest, but the view spectacular nonetheless.

Time to explore the breakfast spread.

Now, the following is a bit embarrassing. I had heard so many horror stories about the air quality in China that I bought an FFP3 mask (the highest protective class) and intended to use it during the whole stay. I expected everybody else to wear one too but to my surprise I quickly found out that I was the only one. I mean, most people wear a surgical mask in Japan (although for different reasons), so I thought they would be even more popular in China. There you go, I just outed myself as a total China noob. If you want to make fun of me please go ahead, I deserve it.

Shanghai's skyline is pretty impressive.

The Shanghai French concession. I had to read about it to find out why it's called like that as it sure doesn't look like Paris.

Xintiandi, a fashionable car-free district.

I resisted the temptation to have lunch there...

... but this guy clearly didn't. As German food is known to be light and mostly served in small portions it's understandable that he went with two mains.

Cova, one of the best pastry shops in Milan, looked like a classier option.

After a short nap back home...

...we went to Mr & Mrs Bund for dinner.

Great food...

...and impressive views that justify the name of the place.

Up Next: Black swans do exist after all.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jun 16, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The breakfast spread looks delectable and the made to order dishes!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:09 pm
formerly htang333

The PH spread is very decent and I like the Asian stations. However, service has always been very slow during my visits...regardless of the amount of staff to guest ratio. But overall, not much to complain about and the views on a clear morning is insane!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Indeed Aventine, it is safe to assume that I took a healthy break from my usual little sugar no gluten diet during this trip...

The PH spread is very decent and I like the Asian stations. However, service has always been very slow during my visits...regardless of the amount of staff to guest ratio. But overall, not much to complain about and the views on a clear morning is insane!
Agree with your take of the PH PVG, BESVISOR. Service could be improved (especially the english language skills), rooms a little brighter and it also wouldn't hurt if the hotel used a signature scent to perfume the pubilc areas but other than that it's a very good property.

Update: the next installment will be online tomorrow.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looking forward to it JohnRain
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:49 am
Original Poster

looking forward to it JohnRain
Thanks for your enthusiasm Aventine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.