Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cherry Blossoms in Seoul and Round the World in Lufthansa, Asiana & JAL First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cherry Blossoms in Seoul and Round the World in Lufthansa, Asiana & JAL First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

I always enjoy flying new airlines and inaugural flights, so when Austrian released saver Business Class seats on it's inaugural LAX-VIE flight, I was all in. With another 72 hour hall pass, I toyed with various options for getting back to LAX. In the end, American's Seoul-JFK crazy mistake fare made the decision easy. So with Mrs. SFO777's lukewarm blessing, I'm off to LAX and another 72 hour round the world trek.

In the end, the lure of First Class won out over a new Business Class experience. So when Lufthansa released O class seats, I made the switch. Lufthansa continues to struggle with PreCheck although they are making progress as I was able to OLCI at home and print a Lufthansa Boarding Pass with TSA PRE-CHECK.

Since the Bradley Terminal doesn't have full PreCheck and lines can be annoyingly long and slow even for Business and First, I headed for Level 4 of the T4 garage and AA Pre-Check. Level 4 was pretty empty and I found a parking spot close to the T4 entrance.

Amazingly, there wasn't a single person at Pre-Check security.

Alas, despite PRE-CHECK on both my mobile or paper LH boarding pass, the TSA computer didn't recognize either and the PreCheck agent wouldn't let me in. So it was off to TBIT and the LH counter, to try again.

With a new official boarding pass, I headed outside and downstairs to try the "secret" TBIT security checkpoint.

Wow, talk about a find. Only one person ahead of me and Pre-Check lite worked perfectly.

From security, it was up an elevator to the TBIT-T4 connector.

Oh yeah, good choice as regular TBIT security was packed.

LMAO. Someone has a sense of humor.

I stopped at the Star Alliance First Class Lounge where I met fellow FTer Levi Maeshan who was also in First Class on today's Lufthansa flight.

Some pics of this underwhelming lounge from my December visit with Mrs. SFO777. Qantas has this place beat by a mile.

Same weak selection of serve yourself food as a couple of months ago.

Austrian Airlines Inaugural LAX-VIE Flight, or maybe not...

Since the inaugural Austrian flight departs 15 minutes before Lufthansa, I had time to walk down to Gate 134 to see if there were any inaugural festivities.

Bunch of suits making the usual inaugural flight speeches.

And some Austrian themed goodies...

... including the famous Sacher torte.

Then back to the Star Alliance Lounge.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 14, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR but weird about the tsa pre not recognizing your BP. Ugh.
Looking forward to the rest of tr.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: points traveller
yep i'm in
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Alright another SFO777 report! My work week will be unproductive...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR but weird about the tsa pre not recognizing your BP. Ugh. Looking forward to the rest of tr.
Thank you gaobest. I just don't get what the problem is with LH and the BP thing.

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
yep i'm in
Thanks diningdecadence.

Originally Posted by phranktzi
Alright another SFO777 report! My work week will be unproductive...
LOL. Thanks very much phranktzi.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:57 am

I always enjoy the presentation of your trip reports. Looking forward to reading the rest!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Nice! I've read the next couple of chapters on your site....

Given you cleared security at TBIT and your flight was from TBIT was there a reason to head onto the TBIT-T4 connector? Just for the view/extra pics?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Fraser
Nice! I've read the next couple of chapters on your site....

Given you cleared security at TBIT and your flight was from TBIT was there a reason to head onto the TBIT-T4 connector? Just for the view/extra pics?
The "secret" TBIT security checkpoint deposits you at an escalator/staircase/(presumably) elevator that leads you up to the TBIT-T4 connector.

SFO777 your views of OZ F line up almost exactly with mine from about 2 years ago, I'm almost surprised I flew it before you did . The 32" TV screen is quite nice though , and the caviar service is one the best I've had on a plane. Two good flights so far for you on this one. Their ICN F lounge is not bad though, but seems you're going to miss it on this trip.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Apr 13, 2017 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great starter to your latest trip report and looking forward to reading the rest!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Nice report! I'm flying out of TBIT on Swiss next month. I think I will try the secret security
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
So is the "Hall pass" like one of those gas station bathroom key chains and Mrs.SFO777 put's a block of wood around your neck that you have to give back when you get home??

Originally Posted by SFO777
In the end, the lure of First Class won out over a new Business Class experience. So when Lufthansa released O class seats, I made the switch.
That a boy!! As always thanks for sharing, and I am looking forward to the rest!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Everytime you start a TR, I am going to leave this here:
Attached Images  
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Oh wow, thank you! It is Trip Reports like this that keep me sane while doing trips like a humble JNB - OUA next weekend - and the client only springs for Y - and either TK or ET have the strangest layover options.

Looking forward to the rest as usual.
Safe travels.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The cherry blossoms this time
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Good Read as always SFO777! I went ahead on .com. Do you still shoot with your 60D or have you upgraded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.