Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cherry Blossoms in Seoul and Round the World in Lufthansa, Asiana & JAL First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cherry Blossoms in Seoul and Round the World in Lufthansa, Asiana & JAL First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane
Love reading this one - thanks for posting it up. And continued safe travels!
Question: Have you been thru the JAL Haneda F lounge; and if so, what are your thoughts on that location? I ask because it's one of my favorites (although it too is nothing super-exceptional) with it's made-to-order chef station, champagne and chocolate room, John Lobb shoe room, etc.
Thank you very much Moving Chicane. I have not been to the Haneda lounge but I hear that nicer including that hidden area.

Originally Posted by island82
Opportunity presented itself with AA schedule change, I switched to the non-stop NRT-JFK on JL instead of NRT-LAX(JL) and then LAX-JFK(AA) to get some more time in JL F. Depending when in July is your return, my return from another exICN is during the 4th of July week.
Thanks island82. I'll miss you by a week My LAX-NRT return in on July 11th and then ex-ICN on July 13th.

Originally Posted by snabbu
Another fabulous trip report SFO777, thank you!
Thank you snabbu.

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks again for another good TR.
Where is your next adventure in the sky going to be to?
Thanks nequine. Next trip is LAX-LHR on Monday and then back from Paris on AF on Wednesday.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks much for the review of the Seoul FS, SFO777! For an FS property, anything under $500 is pretty much a bargain and the FS Seoul really looks like it delivers. Park Hyatt was nice, but not great, the last time we were over there a few months ago.

I miss JAL's F service, but with n/s 787 service from BOS, it's hard to push for F for travel when there's a n/s J available.

Thanks as always!
Old May 7, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for a good report, SFO777.

I love that you managed to steal some goodies from the LX gate.

The LH F cabins don't seem to be wearing too well - the fabric seats and headrests in particular look a little worn. What is that rather odd mood lighting colour above the forward staircase on pushback?

LH's F lounges and their ground experience in general at FRA and MUC never seem to disappoint. The OZ cabins look quite dated IMO, and that menu is indeed very limited.

Nice photos from Seoul. I really like the styling of the FS; I'll have to add the city and the hotel to my list!

You could've accessed the CX lounge at ICN based on your J class of travel anyway under oneworld rules. It's the old style interior design, which these days is dated and is being replaced by the excellent concept aligned to The Pier at HKG. The JL agent holding up the boarding sign is a novel approach to not bothering with a roll away sign.

It seems a shame you didn't have any time in Tokyo on this trip, particularly in cherry blossom season. I think the JL F lounge still looks good although it's been a good few years since it opened in the current concept. What is with the brown tablecloth on board though - dreadful and very AA domestic F-ish!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Askartus
Ahhh ... this brings back memories, since we have been to South Korea and Japan last October for 3 weeks in total.

We went with Asiana from NRT to ICN and back in a quite large (and almost fully booked) 747, which was impressive for a 2 1/2 hour flight.

Food-wise, although we are fond of "haute cuisine" as well, we also liked our local Gangnam-based Korean BBQ ...

(Saemaeul Sikdang Nonhyeon)

And: Very enjoyable report, as always! ^
That's Mrs. Pathfinder's favorite place to eat in Korea... it's a chain from one of the more popular chefs in Korea. There's one close to the FS too!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Awesome trip report! My wife and I stayed at the FS for a week last year and it was a fantastic experience. The service was awesome and it's now our top hotel choice, beating out the PH Seoul. FS actually has a secret hotel car, a Mercedes S-Class, that will take you a few kilometers from the hotel. We only discovered it on our last day and they took us to Seoul Station.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks much for the review of the Seoul FS, SFO777! For an FS property, anything under $500 is pretty much a bargain and the FS Seoul really looks like it delivers. Park Hyatt was nice, but not great, the last time we were over there a few months ago. I miss JAL's F service, but with n/s 787 service from BOS, it's hard to push for F for travel when there's a n/s J available. Thanks as always!
Thank you CHOPCHOP767. Dunno about your thoughts on nonstop J or one stop F. I'd make that connection in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Thanks for a good report, SFO777.
I love that you managed to steal some goodies from the LX gate.
The LH F cabins don't seem to be wearing too well - the fabric seats and headrests in particular look a little worn. What is that rather odd mood lighting colour above the forward staircase on pushback?
LH's F lounges and their ground experience in general at FRA and MUC never seem to disappoint. The OZ cabins look quite dated IMO, and that menu is indeed very limited.
Nice photos from Seoul. I really like the styling of the FS; I'll have to add the city and the hotel to my list!
You could've accessed the CX lounge at ICN based on your J class of travel anyway under one world rules. It's the old style interior design, which these days is dated and is being replaced by the excellent concept aligned to The Pier at HKG. The JL agent holding up the boarding sign is a novel approach to not bothering with a roll away sign.
It seems a shame you didn't have any time in Tokyo on this trip, particularly in cherry blossom season. I think the JL F lounge still looks good although it's been a good few years since it opened in the current concept. What is with the brown tablecloth on board though - dreadful and very AA domestic F-ish!
Thanks very much Genius1 for reading and for your comments. Yeah, the basic colour palate for all three airlines seems to be from that dated brown/beige family. Agree with you on the wonderful Pier concept in HKG. I really like it.

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Awesome trip report! My wife and I stayed at the FS for a week last year and it was a fantastic experience. The service was awesome and it's now our top hotel choice, beating out the PH Seoul. FS actually has a secret hotel car, a Mercedes S-Class, that will take you a few kilometers from the hotel. We only discovered it on our last day and they took us to Seoul Station.
Thank you Pathfinder813. Glad to hear that you had a great stay at the FS Seoul. I really enjoyed my brief stay and look forward to return. Thanks for the tip about the secret S-Class.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
As Always a great report for Mister SFO777.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesaddict
As Always a great report for Mister SFO777.
Thank you very much milesaddict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.