Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland in economy – a very good trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Great pics, Iceland is a lovely place but you need to suspend all notions of value for money

Great to see another outstation with no lounge access. I guess they'll all be Cruzified eventually.
He will have looked at the costs of providing facilities and quickly concluded that's an expense we can do without........let my high-paying CE pax and BAEC status members fend for themselves .....
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is it possible to actually enjoy londonsean69's TR rather than picking apart the point about no lounge access in KEF or discussing the BA CEO?

There are plenty of other threads to do both of these things already
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Is it possible to actually enjoy londonsean69's TR rather than picking apart the point about no lounge access in KEF or discussing the BA CEO?

There are plenty of other threads to do both of these things already
KARFA - I do understand the point you make ; and I myself already commented yesterday, upthread, on the core content of Iceland as a destination, with much praise for the OP's excellent photos.

But the TR understandably also included BA-related specifics, and so I don't consider it especially OT to make comment on those, within this very thread ; unless perhaps we're looking to restrict such comments, with shades of censorship.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:23 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by subject2load
But the TR understandably also included BA-related specifics, and so I don't consider it especially OT to make comment on those, within this very thread ; unless perhaps we're looking to restrict such comments, with shades of censorship.
There is no attempt to censor anything here. However, there is also a rule about remaining on-topic, that being Iceland, which is a matter of common courtesy towards the OP if nothing else. @:-)

The convention here, given the report contains a section about the BA experience but the substantive content is about a country, is to allow it to live in the BA forum for a short period to gain traction before it's transferred across to Trip Reports.

Given the beauty and quality of the photographs (for which I'm truly envious of the OP), it seems only fair that they be shared with a wider audience, and there are certainly those who view and contribute greatly to Trip Reports who would gain great value from them.

/mod
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: British Airways
Wonderful Photos.

Many Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:08 am

Fantastic photos. Can you tell us which camera you took these on?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by highlandguy
Fantastic photos. Can you tell us which camera you took these on?
Thank you very much.

They were all taken on either Nikon D7200 or D7100 (I had both with me).

Lenses were;
16mm f/2 (manual focus)
17-50mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/4

Thanks everyone for the nice comments regarding the photos, its a hobby of mine (which on the very rare occasion pays a couple of ££ into the travel fund).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:54 pm

Lovely photos londonsean69, and thank you for the Trip Report – it really is a stunning country. I've been once with Icelandair and can't wait to visit again. Different regions are very different from each other, and in summer it's totally different again.

It is expensive (perhaps even more so than 4 years ago when I went), but one tip offered to me by a local was that almost every restaurant, even the roadside cafes at petrol stations, does a soup of the day with bread. This is not only slightly cheaper than other meals, but usually is "free refills" too – just what you need when wandering about in the winter! The ones I had were also very tasty.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Great photos! Thanks for sharing londonsean69, now you made me want to go to Iceland
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:45 pm

If you enjoy photography in jagged and desolate landscapes, then you should definitely do an Arctic or Antarctic cruise expedition. It's photography heaven.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Great pix.
Going to Iceland again next Summer for mid Summer. Less snow, but these photos make Spring look almost appealing.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:28 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this has received a decent airing here now, we'll move it over into Trip Reports, with a little bump to make sure it's visible near the top of the forum when it arrives.

/mod
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:39 pm

I thought the crowds are around the Golden Triangle? As you head out on Hwy 1 the roads get deserted, don't they?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by hkskyline
I thought the crowds are around the Golden Triangle? As you head out on Hwy 1 the roads get deserted, don't they?
The Golden Triangle route is very busy, given it's proximity to Reykjavik - lots of super jeeps, coaches, hire cars.

Whilst the road is quieter as you head away from the city, the 'named' spots were all quite busy, particularly when the light was getting good.

There were a lot of coach tours, and at places like Jokulsarlon the car parks were pretty full.

I think the big snow at the start of the trip 'compressed' everybody, as tours were rescheduled.

O the roads, there was generally very light traffic, but at the sites it was very crowded. One evening at Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach, we actually turned around and decided to come back the next day, as we couldn't get into the car park. Jostling with a couple of hundred people for a good spot is not conducive to a nice photo

We found Iceland to be much busier than our trips to Scandinavia (Northern Norway and Sweden in winter, Stavanger in Summer).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:12 am

Great photos.

We visited Iceland as part of a cruise ship tour some years back (sailing out of Southampton) and we definitely enjoyed it, though yes, we found the prices on land very expensive indeed.

The cruise ship docked at Akureyri, and I remember renting a car and driving ourselves to Godafoss. It was very impressive. You could go very close to the Falls, at your own risk of course.

Sailing out of Akureyri and admiring the Icelandic fjords was also very memorable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.