Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Djibouti

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MA330
Thanks for yet another trip report - I always love reading them! Djibouti is also on my list of places I want to see; any idea about the price of catching the train to Addis instead of flying?
Regards from Podgorica
Thank you, MA330. Hope you’re having a great time in Balkans. Not sure about the train. I know it was recently inaugurated but not sure if there is regular passenger services yet.
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Interesting trip report. I've never heard of that country before.
Thanks, Annalisa12. Yes, quite a new country too, with independence from France in 1977.
Originally Posted by mcwobby
I wish I lived in Dubai so much - just for the ease of access to cool places on the weekend
But great trip report, looks like you had a lot of fun. I went swimming with whale sharks on the Ningaloo Reef, it is truly something awe inspiring.
Many thanks, mcwobby. Yes, Dubai is a great place to travel, with Europe, Africa and Asia all relatively closeby. Swimming with the Whale sharks in Australia must have been great, although I hope there weren’t any carnivorous sharks about though.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Another great trip report ^^. Can't believe you got so close to that whale shark - very cool!!
Cheers, Madone59. At one point we dropped into the water and the Whale shark was right beside us, and we just floated there in a kind of awe and amazement!
Originally Posted by 757
Another great report, Daniel! I always look forward to reading your report and seeing your photos. It looks like you had a really good trip. Sorry to hear about the cancellation, but glad you were able to get home ok!
All best,
Matthew (757)
Thanks, 757. These travel hiccups are all part of the experience!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DanielW
Thanks, 757. These travel hiccups are all part of the experience!
Reminds me of Liberia *grumble*
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thanks for another awesome TR!!
One question though: after you went into the lake was there fresh water where you could rinse off all that salt? It does not look as touristy as the Dead Sea where you could shower and wash off the salt, so if not, then the drive back to Djibouti must have been a bit uncomfortable?

And again, many thanks for sharing the unique photos. My one and only trip to Djibouti was nothing like yours.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks for the wonderful report, DanielW! Brings me back to my Navy days when I spent a not infrequent amount of time in Djibouti. If you find yourself back down there, the Kempinski is very nice and Cafe de La Gare is superb. The Cafe reminded me of what a Rick's Cafe in the movie Casablanca was like back in the day; as opposed to the current Rick's in Casablanca which was a disappointment to say the least. Thanks again for sharing.

PS. I see from your report that Ethiopian hasn't changed a bit! LOL
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Reminds me of Liberia *grumble*
But how often does the opportunity to try an (almost bankrupt) Nigerian airline come your way.
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Thanks for another awesome TR!!
One question though: after you went into the lake was there fresh water where you could rinse off all that salt? It does not look as touristy as the Dead Sea where you could shower and wash off the salt, so if not, then the drive back to Djibouti must have been a bit uncomfortable?

And again, many thanks for sharing the unique photos. My one and only trip to Djibouti was nothing like yours.
Thank you, roadwarrier. Luckily Ken brought along a few things for the swim, with rubber sandals for the feet, some 1.5 litre bottles filled with tapwater to help rinse off the salt and a towel to dry off with after.
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks for the wonderful report, DanielW! Brings me back to my Navy days when I spent a not infrequent amount of time in Djibouti. If you find yourself back down there, the Kempinski is very nice and Cafe de La Gare is superb. The Cafe reminded me of what a Rick's Cafe in the movie Casablanca was like back in the day; as opposed to the current Rick's in Casablanca which was a disappointment to say the least. Thanks again for sharing.

PS. I see from your report that Ethiopian hasn't changed a bit! LOL
Many thanks, CHOPCHOP767. The Kempinski definitely seems to be the place to be in town. I've got another trip on ET coming up late this year too, all the way to South America!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Another great trip report from you.

Love the photos from your scuba diving.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Another great trip report from you.

Love the photos from your scuba diving.
Thank you, nequine. Just planning my next African Adventure now, hopefully with plenty of scuba diving too.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Many thanks for another fascinating TR, and to a country not as accessible for a New Year weekend for many of us living in other parts of the world.
^^^
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DanielW, loved this report with your usual wonderful pics. What a fascinating trip. Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
This would have been another very cool DanielW TR regardless, but with the whale shark sighting, it goes into an extra special category. They are high on my list also as one of the most wonderful creatures to get to see up close. So glad she let you meet her
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:48 pm

Thanks for sharing DanielW, always love reading your reports. I had an opportunity to swim with the whale sharks in Cebu, Philippines and it is truly one of the most memorable experiences in my lifetime. Looking forward to your future adventures.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
Many thanks for another fascinating TR, and to a country not as accessible for a New Year weekend for many of us living in other parts of the world.
^^^
Thank you, onobond. I'm running out of nearby countries for quick getaways, so are having to saviour the last few remaining.
Originally Posted by SFO777
DanielW, loved this report with your usual wonderful pics. What a fascinating trip. Thanks for posting.
Many thanks, SFO777. I didn't plan to go until a few weeks beforehand and was great to fit in one last adventure for 2016.
Originally Posted by lb8001
This would have been another very cool DanielW TR regardless, but with the whale shark sighting, it goes into an extra special category. They are high on my list also as one of the most wonderful creatures to get to see up close. So glad she let you meet her
Thanks, lb8001. I was a bit nervous about not seeing the Whale sharks, given that in nature these things are not guaranteed. Ken said that the previous Whale shark season had ended abruptly on Jan 1st with no more sightings thereafter, so was great to see them when we did.
Originally Posted by benjahman
Thanks for sharing DanielW, always love reading your reports. I had an opportunity to swim with the whale sharks in Cebu, Philippines and it is truly one of the most memorable experiences in my lifetime. Looking forward to your future adventures.
Cheers, benjahman. Seeing them in the beautiful blue waters of the Philippines must have been unforgettable.
My next TR will be back to Asia also, to Bangladesh.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Always love your trip reports. Can't wait for the next one.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Great report! For some reason Djibouti has been on my list of a while. I bumped into a US Army Vet in Svalbard a few years ago who was posted there and had some interesting stories. It all seems fairly safe and accessible? Loved the scuba photos. I swam with whale sharks a few years ago in Mexico.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spymon
Always love your trip reports. Can't wait for the next one.
Thank you, Spymon. Just writing up the next one now. No Whale sharks but a big fat crocodile though.
Originally Posted by shefgab
Great report! For some reason Djibouti has been on my list of a while. I bumped into a US Army Vet in Svalbard a few years ago who was posted there and had some interesting stories. It all seems fairly safe and accessible? Loved the scuba photos. I swam with whale sharks a few years ago in Mexico.
Many thanks, shefgab. Djibouti was quite safe. Al Shabab had a suicide bomber at one of the local restaurants a few years ago, so it was quite common for a security check before entering the restaurants and the supermarket when I was there.
Seeing Whales sharks in Mexico must have been amazing, hopefully some tasty local food afterwards too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.