Garuda Indonesia PVG-CGK, Feast In The Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: GarudaMiles (most active), Asia Miles (most active), Kris Flyer, Flying Blue, Royal Orchid Plus

This report covers my flight back from Shanghai to Jakarta during business trip last February. I decided to try Garuda Indonesia business class since this is my first time trying their business class product in medium-haul flight after several trips in C class only for their domestic short-haul/regional South East Asia routes.

It was to me a tremendous and solid business class product, and I could tell that this is probably one of the best products out there. The report will tell the detail.

At Shanghai Pudong Airport
I quickly found the check-in desk location for GA flight and managed to take some sneak peaks of its Sky Priority check-in lane. When I checked-in, there was a long queue at economy class and only a handful in business class. But apparently during the flight, I found out that the load in business class was around 80% which was very good.

As complimentary for C class passengers, the agent handed over lounge invitation besides boarding pass. Garuda uses Lounge #69.

He also handed me a Fast Track card that can be used in Jakarta airport. This is very useful for me to save time during immigration check at CGK which is quite famous for its long queues during peak hours in the early morning or at night. Sadly though, Garuda is known to offer Immigration On Board service few years back. But now, they have axed that service so even for business class passengers, they have to clear immigration at airport counter.

This is how the Fast Track card looks like.

And my boarding pass.

I walked pass immigration check, custom, and security screening to head to Lounge 69.
This lounge is intended for several airlines, including Garuda Indonesia. Right after entry door, there are ways heading to Business Class Lounge on the left and First Class Lounge on the right.

This is probably the weakest part of this flight. I could tell that Lounge 69 is a very basic lounge with basic offerings, considering this is intended for premium service. But maybe, it's because all lounges in Pudong Airport are probably this way. There is also a special lounge for China Eastern, but I couldn't tell why Garuda does not just use this lounge since they are all in Skyteam. The pictures say for themselves.

Standard offerings of instant cup noodles and two main for breakfast: fried noodle and Shao Mai.

There is also a small bar section where they put some liquors.

Here's what I took for small nibble, beef porridge.

And some shots of the lounge and waiting hall under the lounge.

I just spent 15 minutes inside the lounge since nothing to do other than eating breakfast and then proceeded to departure gate.
It was time for boarding when I got there.

The metal bird that would fly me back home that day. A330-300 PK-GHC which is new and equipped with Diamond business class seats.

Turn left for C-class.

On Board
The purser smiles and greets me with a typical Garuda clasp in front of the door. And as soon as I enter, the gorgeous Maitre d'Cabin in her burgundy kebaya uniform shows me the way to my seat. She and her team of 2 are in charge for business class today. It's going to be a busy day for them since the load in business cabin is 20 out of 24 seats.

This is how the new Diamond business class seat looks like.

A bottle of Aqua water and amenity bag are already on each seat.

As soon as we're seated, the Maitre d'Cabin came over and introduced her name personally to each passenger. Her name is Rosma. From the way she talks and her elegant body language, she certainly is very professional and also senior. From this, we know that she and her team will surely take a good care of this cabin in her lead.

She then offered me a welcome drink, for which I chose Billecart Salmon Rose Champagne.

It was a delicate champagne and I finished it in a second.

Some pictures of the seat and compartment.
AVOD control unit inside left armrest console.

USB port, power point, and small storage besides it.

Magazines, bottled water and reading light.

Noise cancelling headphones which function quite good.

This is the content of the amenity bag after I unwrap it home. It has a pair of slippers, eye shade, ear plugs, body lotion, lip balm, tooth brush and tooth paste, and a handy comb. Garuda no longer uses L'Occitane brand for its amenity kit which is quite a drawback, but I still think this is quite sufficient.

Several minutes after take-off and reaching cruising altitude, it was time to start the feast in the air as Garuda is very well known of.
To start it up, amuse bouche of smoked beef with some other things I couldn't remember. I opted Martebe Juice or passion fruit with soursop juice for the drink. It was delicious and refreshing as well.

Rosma came to my seat and kneel down just next to me to ask if I already look at the menu and make my choice for lunch. This kind of warm approach from the crew just what makes every flight so exciting and different, and I can find this detail in Garuda Indonesia.

After this, I asked for some peanuts to nibble. And I was given a bowl full of cashews, almonds, and macadamia nuts.

There are menu for food, they call it "Dine" and also for the drinks, called "The Cellar". They both have extensive menu and drinks for this 6-hour route.

And this is what they offer in The Cellar.

Rosma took my lunch choice, starting from smoked salmon as appetizer, then grilled lamb cutlet for main. I asked if I could combine the Balinese chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and also have the cheese course as well. Rosma took this request as delighted as she could, and of course with a very wide smile. She even compliments me for picking up the grilled lamb because she knew this is one of their signature dishes in the sky.

The food came course by course and Rosma personally sets up the table with white linen and hands down the cutlery one by one. This is such a five star service.
First came the appetizer, smoked salmon with pickled beetroot and mango relish.

It came with choice of breads and butter in flowery shape. Salt and pepper are served separately in small bowls.

A closer look at the appetizer.

I always want to have Bailey's on flight. So here comes the Bailey's.

After I finished my salmon, Rosma came to clear the table and set it up again with new tableware. She then asked one of her team to bring me the grilled lamb.
And this is how the main looks like: grilled lamb cutlet with mashed pea coquette and baby carrot.

It was exceptional. The lamb was tender and juicy, the coquette was flavorful and the carrots were crunchy and soft at the same time, and the sauce itself gave a perfect taste to the lamb. I would give it 5 stars, both for the taste and presentation.
Rosma did say it right. It surely is the right choice to accompany what has been a wonderful flight in the first place.

Several minutes after I finished the grilled lamb, Rosma delivered the cheese course of Camembert and cheddar with prune, date and olive and also some crackers.

And then, she reminded me that I still had one more dessert to go which is the Balinese chocolate cake. I found it exciting and funny that she reminded me this way, but I think this is what they call a personal touch that makes one regular flight turns into a wonderful experience.
The cake came with shredded orange skins on top with crushed peanuts as garnish and then vanilla ice cream. It was phenomenal.

What a feast in the sky and Garuda manages to deliver every course of the meal perfectly. This is the best business class offering so far.

Rosma asked if I wanted some tea or coffee, and I chose peppermint tea to sum it up. Several minutes later, the purser itself brought me a mug of peppermint tea and one chocolate praline. I didn't take picture of that peppermint tea but this is how the praline looks like.

Apparently, I found out that there is one chef on board responsible for taking care all meals in business class. I should thank him for providing such a feast to my taste bud.

Meal service is completed and the crew shut down all window shades to darken the cabin and let passengers rest.
I spent this time by laying down on my seat which is now turned into a flat bed. I didn't browse the entertainment system, but from my quick snap, it has movies, musics, games, TV shows, kids shows. I just turned on the moving map all the time.

A snapshot of the cabin after meal service.

Some hours later, I felt a little bit hungry and decided to try mid-snack offering by Garuda. It has a lot of choices as we can see on the menu above. I chose satay course this time. It comes with three different types of satay which are uniquely Indonesian style: one chicken satay on peanut sauce, one Balinese Sate Lilit with special herbs topping, and one Padang style beef satay.
It was mouthwatering, delicious and fulfilling at the same time.

There is one galley at back side of business cabin that has self service bar. It is well stocked with beverages, soft drinks, cup noodles, crackers, bananas.

One hour before landing, I asked for a Suggestion Form. I would like to thank all crews on board officially, including the purser, Rosma and her team and also the chef for making this flight an enjoyable one. I was stunt by all hard product offered in this flight, but most of all, it is the soft product that makes Garuda well ahead of other competitors in the region, and Garuda should be proud of their solid team.

This time around, another surprise from the chef. He offers all of us for pre-arrival drink. He recommends me to take freshly squeezed orange juice. How can I say no to this? When it came, it did have orange pulps inside the juice and the taste was not artificial like prepacked orange juice sold out there. This was a genuine orange juice. Thumbs up for Garuda!!

Post Flight
Garuda Indonesia is well known for its thorough and tremendous service, not only on board, but also post flight.
I walked to a special immigration lane and handed over the Fast Track card to the officer. In just a matter of seconds, I completed immigration procedure and headed to again another special feature from Garuda in its homebase, a Premium Arrival Service as what they call it. So you just give your boarding pass to the agent at front desk and wait in a cozy room with sofas and free flowing tea and coffee while they will grab your luggage and hand it over to you. This is a special service for First Class, Business Class, and Garuda Miles Platinum passengers.

One more exceptional flight from Garuda Indonesia has come to an end. But I certainly look forward to flying with them again domestically and internationally as they keep expanding their network route and Skyteam cooperation.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
OMG, I had no idea GA Business was this amazing!! I had read several reviews of their First Class but never Business. I also did not realize they had reverse herringbone B/E Super Diamond seats on the A330. I believe the 77W has staggered forward-facing seats in J, like on OZ, EK, NH.

All I can say is wow to that service and menu! Billecart Salmon rose in J? Fabulous! The way they set your table with the individual bread basket and the classy tableware really looks like F. I also can't believe the premium arrival service with waiting in a lounge while your luggage is brought to you!!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Very nice report, and a great first post! GA looks pretty good, i'll have to put it on my to fly list!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:31 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Thanks MRTY, nice report for your first FT post! ^ My debut trip on GA in J can't get here soon enough (LHR-CGK-MEL rt in June/July). I too had read several reviews in F but not many in J to this level of detail.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Oh my goodness this TR shocked me. The presentation of the food puts SQ to shame, seriously! I hope all the food tasted as good as they looked. The cellar list may not be the best but you can tell that they're trying very hard to match up to the competition in the region, what with dessert wines, port wine, and extensive choice of coffee and tea as well.

If only they would start selling cheaper tickets ex-SIN. Maybe it'll entice people to make a detour to CGK just to fly their product, a bit like how MH tickets ex-SIN are very cheap.

Thanks for the report! It was a great insight.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:42 am

nice debut post on FT, thanks for sharing MRTY

I was booked on this seat on my upcoming HND flight but unfortunately was changed into the staggered seat in 777 though.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by blueferrari
nice debut post on FT, thanks for sharing MRTY

I was booked on this seat on my upcoming HND flight but unfortunately was changed into the staggered seat in 777 though.
Staggered seat on the 777 still looks very nice!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I hope you got Rosina's number!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
OMG, I had no idea GA Business was this amazing!! I had read several reviews of their First Class but never Business....!!
+1.
What a superb combination of hard products and in-flight service for J cabin for a 6 hour flight!

Look forward to try Garuda Indonesia sometime soon.

Thanks OP for this well written report.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GarudaMiles (most active), Asia Miles (most active), Kris Flyer, Flying Blue, Royal Orchid Plus
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
OMG, I had no idea GA Business was this amazing!! I had read several reviews of their First Class but never Business. I also did not realize they had reverse herringbone B/E Super Diamond seats on the A330. I believe the 77W has staggered forward-facing seats in J, like on OZ, EK, NH.

All I can say is wow to that service and menu! Billecart Salmon rose in J? Fabulous! The way they set your table with the individual bread basket and the classy tableware really looks like F. I also can't believe the premium arrival service with waiting in a lounge while your luggage is brought to you!!
Yes, I agree with you. Those services set GA apart from other competitors, way far ahead.

Originally Posted by dsf
Thanks MRTY, nice report for your first FT post! ^ My debut trip on GA in J can't get here soon enough (LHR-CGK-MEL rt in June/July). I too had read several reviews in F but not many in J to this level of detail.
Thank you and I hope to post some more here soon. I hope you'll have wonderful flights with them same like I did.

Originally Posted by pokfur
Oh my goodness this TR shocked me. The presentation of the food puts SQ to shame, seriously! I hope all the food tasted as good as they looked. The cellar list may not be the best but you can tell that they're trying very hard to match up to the competition in the region, what with dessert wines, port wine, and extensive choice of coffee and tea as well.

If only they would start selling cheaper tickets ex-SIN. Maybe it'll entice people to make a detour to CGK just to fly their product, a bit like how MH tickets ex-SIN are very cheap.

Thanks for the report! It was a great insight.
Yes, Pokfur. All foods taste as good as they look, never disappointed with GA catering.

Originally Posted by Lewis42
I hope you got Rosina's number!
Unfortunately not

Originally Posted by allset2travel
+1.
What a superb combination of hard products and in-flight service for J cabin for a 6 hour flight!

Look forward to try Garuda Indonesia sometime soon.

Thanks OP for this well written report.
Thanks. You really must try their product anytime soon.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Fantastic report. GA is tremendously underrated. I often have better crews on my weekly flights from SUB to CGK in J than on my long haul SQ F/J flights.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent report. Amazing service for Business Class.
I had the pleasure of flying GA First from LHR-CGK last year but Business is really impressive.
Looking forward to GA starting LAX service later this year.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@MRTY

Thanks for your TR.
Great report, excellent details of service, menus and food presentation.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Fantastic report. GA is tremendously underrated. I often have better crews on my weekly flights from SUB to CGK in J than on my long haul SQ F/J flights.
Well, probably they are still underrated for now, but hopefully the more people post TR on them, the more people would know their amazing service. I agree with you that their crews are among the best globally.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Excellent report. Amazing service for Business Class.
I had the pleasure of flying GA First from LHR-CGK last year but Business is really impressive.
Looking forward to GA starting LAX service later this year.
Thanks SFO777. Hopefully it's going to be a really nice flight when you try them for LAX.

Originally Posted by 24left
@MRTY

Thanks for your TR.
Great report, excellent details of service, menus and food presentation.
Thanks 24left. As a newbie, I still have a lot of things to learn from seniors here.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
They serve a hot snack on a 6ish hour flight? That's amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.