Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Slummin' it to Spain - BCN, PMI for some Park Hyatt, and MAD

Slummin' it to Spain - BCN, PMI for some Park Hyatt, and MAD

Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:16 pm

Any specific restaurants you'd recommend in Barcelona?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
This TR has really brought my memories of Barcelona flooding back from the food to the wonderful architecture. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mitellic
Great report!

What's with the place mats though? Did you go to restaurants that were part of the same chain three times in a row?
Yeah...2 difference places, twice each. What can I say, they were good and close to the hotel!

Originally Posted by offerendum
a very nice trip
Thank you, offerendum

Originally Posted by andy2016
Any specific restaurants you'd recommend in Barcelona?
I was happy with the tapas places I went to. Ciudad Condal and Cerveseria Catalana were the two that I frequented as mentioned above

Originally Posted by Spymon
This TR has really brought my memories of Barcelona flooding back from the food to the wonderful architecture. Looking forward to the rest.
Trying to get the next post up, but been busy with work! Hopefully this weekend I can scrounge together the Mallorcan installment
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:51 am

I really enjoyed my time in BCN and this is bringing back nice memories. Great pictures and a great narrative! Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Absolutely awesome photos! Thank you for sharing ^
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
The next morning, it was a quick taxi ride to the airport and we were through security in no time. Since we were slumming it, sitting at the gate was the pasttime.

We were at the very far end of the concourse, and the gates were a floor above the rest...interesting setup

Skipping the pictures of regional economy, cause nobody cares, right? That's ok if you disagree, since this is the only picture I took of the flight

We landed in Mallorca where I picked up my rental from Sixt. It was a facelifted A3 wagon, diesel with 6MT so I could row my own gears as I prefer. First stop before driving across the island was Bellver Castle

A view towards Palma Cathedral

A door to nowhere

Continuing into the heart of the fortification

At least the view isn't too bad if you were trapped in here

The view from the top

Oh, I WAS planning to go to Rome this summer, but that all changed recently. Looking like back to Tokyo, then a separate trip to Maldives and London instead.

Afterwards, the next stop was Palma Cathedral, which took us longer than we would have liked. Using navigation, it routed us through some narrow streets with lots of foot traffic. It's a bit unnerving in an unfamiliar area. It took us around a few times before I spotted the underground parking meant for people like us

It was about 2PM by now, so we immediately sat down to get ripped off at Guiness House for a sandwich. But, at least this was our view for the time we spent there...

A forgettable sandwich

Heading towards the cathedral

Again, just simply stunning architecture

A cannon on display

Looking back towards the Med

More cathedral

Not sure why I took this...it ended up looking a lot worse than I was thinking. Maybe I just wanted to capture the bird?

Anyhow, we hopped in the car and drove for roughly an hour to Park Hyatt Mallorca. Now, it's not THAT far away, but the endless roundabouts that span every few miles of road meant lots of slowing down, speeding up, and repeating that made the trip much less fluid than I wanted. All those thoughts disappeared as soon as we arrived at this beautiful property.

We were checked in immediately. We were low on cash, so we exchanged some USD for Euros. However, they screwed up the exchange, significantly in my favor (they did an inverse). When I tried to tell them, the agent brought someone else over who confirmed that I was getting the right amount and thanked me for my honesty. I wasn't going to push it to make the situation uncomfortable, but I knew I shouldn't have received 110 Euro for my single Benjamin.

On to the room...we were driven by buggy and shown the amenities.

Front entrance is on the far left

2nd bathroom in the distance, where the entrance is

The far end of the room, with a dining table and exit to a patio

Bedroom with a rise up TV

Bathroom with heated floor

Outside on the patio

And looking towards some of the other rooms

A sign

Me snapping some pictures

Looking over the pool and dining areas

Down in the pool area where it was too cold for any kind of water activity

Dinner was at Tapas Bar, one of the restaurants on site

Cheese plate. I think we tried the blue bufala (not a cheese person but the guy said it wasn't kill you strong so we said ok), Manchego cured dehesa de los llano which was world's best cheese in 2012, and the last one was the cured organic cheese washed in beer. Pretty good all in all. Just need to taste more and develop my palate going forward

Then a ham tasting plate...lighter one is aged 14 months whereas the darker, leaner one is aged 48 months

Starter was the grilled scallop with smoked butter

Main was the ribeye with padron peppers and some potatoes. Unfortunately, the steak was a let down. It looks delicious, but it was rather tough. I've had plenty of USDA choice steaks that were juicier and more tender. Even worse was that I was really looking forward to a big slab of meat after a few days of small tapas dishes too

Full menu here for those interested: https://mallorca.park.hyatt.com/cont...nu-English.pdf

A bonus walk around video of the room

Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benjahman
I really enjoyed my time in BCN and this is bringing back nice memories. Great pictures and a great narrative! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for reading, benjahman

Originally Posted by Madone59
Absolutely awesome photos! Thank you for sharing ^
Not quite as epic as your RTW, Madone59, but it'll do
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
Thanks for reading, benjahman

Not quite as epic as your RTW, Madone59, but it'll do
The quality of the pictures are amazing!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Enjoyed my trip to Mallorca. Next time I think I will try the PH.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:17 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Nice report and pictures! We head to Barcelona in a few weeks, looking forward to seeing the same sites.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:18 pm

Nice trip report! What time of year did you visit? I'm thinking about a visit around Thanksgiving, but not sure if there will be anything to do since it will probably be cold? I know you rented a car. Is a car rental a must?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

With a good night of rest, we walked just a few minutes to the breakfast area. Starting with the buffet selection, where a local sausage is the specialty.

On to the other buffet offerings. Of course there were also eggs and bacon and potatoes on offer, but I seem to have skipped those items in the photo op

Lots of cured meats, but not quite PH Vienna selection overall

There was something amazingly delicious about the apple pie crumble

We were also able to order off of the menu. I went with the Mallorcan toast as suggested by our server, whereas the wife went with the spicy avocado eggs

With stomachs full, we got changed and called down to the front desk to bring our car out front. About 1-2 km from the resort was Claper des Gegants, which have the remains of a prehistoric site from about 3000 years ago. You make short hike next to one of the golf courses before you arrive at the ruins.

I think this is the right way

Finally some more signage

Just a bunch of rocks, but you can see some dividing walls of the settlement. Pretty cool stuff

The next stop I had on my list was Cuevas de Art. This was much cooler than I had expected, and pictures simply don't do the cave justice. Countless stalactites and stalagmites line each chamber, and some are given names based on their shapes. We ended up having a private tour since we were the only ones that were there at the particular time slot. I'll just let the pictures do the talking here.

Giant stairway is actually the exit

Looking towards the sea

There is a small locked gate to the left of the giant stairway that is the entrance. This hallway leads to the first main area

And the first chamber in all its glory. We were stunned and motionless as our eyes took it all in

The tallest formation more than 60 feet high, but not quite reaching the ceiling yet. It grows at a rate of approximately 2cm every 100 years

This area was dubbed the Gates of Hell

Some lighting effects

The upside down sheep on the upper left

This one was the mammoth or elephant?

A new formation beginning

Some close ups

One last shot exiting

Surprisingly, we had more places to see on our agenda. The initial thought of just relaxing at the resort went out the window somehow and we were back in the car driving towards another castle

Might as well advertise!

Entrance was just a few Euros

The outer fortification walls

Juxtaposition of past and present

Defensive tower

Water tank

Another vantage of the tower

A bell

More walls

A church was onsite

Church on the left

More of the perimeter

Archaeological excavations are still ongoing

You can see more dividing walls similar to Claper des Gegants

And walking back to the car

Flowers

And back to paradise

I'll pickup the next post with dinner at Tapas Bar again
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Enjoyed my trip to Mallorca. Next time I think I will try the PH.
You won't be disappointed, @offerendum PH was a fantastic property. I hardly saw anyone wandering the grounds, but I'm sure I was there during low season. Many of the restaurants weren't open, which is why we ended up sticking to the resort both nights

Originally Posted by Steve_19
Nice report and pictures! We head to Barcelona in a few weeks, looking forward to seeing the same sites.
Thank you, @Steve_19 Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Nice trip report! What time of year did you visit? I'm thinking about a visit around Thanksgiving, but not sure if there will be anything to do since it will probably be cold? I know you rented a car. Is a car rental a must?
@cruisingmickey we were there the last week of February. It wasn't too cold...50s to 60s during the daytime when we were there. For Mallorca, you would want to rent a car if you're staying on the east side of the island, where PH is, in my opinion.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Yeah, there is so much to see..... Brings back memories^
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

That night, we called around for reservations but found out many restaurants were closed as it was low season. Rather than deal with driving and finding parking, we just went to Tapas Bar again for dinner.

Some of the ham we had the previous night, as well as some sausage

We had a pick of the sobrasada de porc negre, camaiot, and chorizo, and all were delicious

Steak tartare

Tuna tartare

Oxtail cannelloni made with cheese cream and foie gras. We forgot to disclose a peanut allergy, but the chef was awesome enough to fire up a second serving just for my wife. We were completely content with the original dish since it was our fault for not being upfront, but like I said, the staff were more than accommodating

Farm egg with potato cream and Iberian ham

Lastly, some croquettes to finish it off

Dessert of creamy chocolate with coffee foam

We retired to our room afterwards for the last night at this beautiful resort. I do hope we have time during a better season to come back and explore some more.

The next morning, we checked out and hopped in the car back towards PMI. We had to do a little luggage rearranging since one of the bags was overweight. Once we were within 1 kilo, the desk agent was content and handed us our boarding passes.

At one of the run down Priority Pass lounges, but still better than waiting at the gate

At the gate waiting for the flight to Madrid

Another hour or so of flight later, we landed in Madrid and took a taxi to the AC Carlton Madrid. It was a barebones room in contrast to the PH, but comfy enough to kick back and relax in.

I still don't get why so many bathrooms have partial glass that lets water splash all over the floor

Not having eaten lunch, we found a local spot to fill our stomachs

Steak medallions

Time to explore!

Plaza Mayor

Chocolateria San Gines for some churros

And then back to Plaza Mayor for some people watching.

A disgusting costume

Some more wandering

A band

Taking a roundabout way back to our hotel

Thru Parque del Retiro

Sun setting

And we called it a night!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.