Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Havana and Varadero, Cuba via Westjet Holidays from Canada.

Havana and Varadero, Cuba via Westjet Holidays from Canada.

Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Excellent!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Your judgement about the reef shows, that you must have seen many great places. I love underwater exploring!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Excellent!
Thank you Miamifliyer8.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Your judgement about the reef shows, that you must have seen many great places. I love underwater exploring!
Yeah offerendum - it's a sad (or great) thing to have had the ability to have experienced many underwater coral reefs. Unfortunately, this one wasn't anywhere near the top ten list. We've had the best luck at the house reef at Park Hyatt Maldives at Hadahaa on both our trips, Makena Beach in Maui, followed by Le Morne at St Regis Mauritius; all based on snorkeling from shore. We'd give the east coast of Bali a miss and although there are great fish in the Red Sea by Dahab in Egypt, they were pretty sparse in quantity.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Westjet
Economy Class
YYC-YXX (Calgary International Airport – Abbotsford International Airport)
WJ 105
November 12, 2016
Booked: Bombardier Q400
Flown:
Departure: 8:55 PM
Arrival: 9:20 PM

At this late hour, we wandered over to the domestic westjet terminal. It was quite a walk and it seemed Westjet wasn’t really set up to deal with this many passengers late at night

After we collected our next boarding cards, we dropped the bags and headed through the mostly deserted departure halls.

We passed through Calgary’s officious CASTA security check points and into a surprisingly busy departure hall for 8 PM in the evening (on the secure side). It’s been a while since I’d been into the Westjet Terminal Wing since I’m usually flying from the smaller Air Canada wing.

There was prompt and on time boarding tonight. Since we were unable to get a seat assignment in Varadero (or via online check in from Cuba) we were related to the last row of the aircraft in the seats that don’t recline. Ugh!

It was a pretty straight forward flight with the usual older in flight entertainment system. We had a easy after dark departure and a short flight down to Abbotsford.

We landed at quiet Abbotsford airport and parked next to one of the Flair Air charter aircraft that is operating as New Leaf.

And collected the bags from a quiet baggage claim area.

Overall, Westjet is a fun quirky airline that still seems to appeal to a lot of leisure travelers. Like Alaska Airlines, the staff have lots of heart and soul in what they do. They would be a reasonable alternative from Air Canada if they had a proper alliance affiliation and frequent flier program.

Cuba overall was a great place to visit. It’s an experience best savored and like cooking or a wine wine- it can’t be rushed otherwise you’d spoil the experience. This has it’s advantages and disadvantages per se but if you’re prepared to invest the time needed to get to know the island and it’s regions, you’ll likely be highly rewarded. It won't be a luxury trip since the country is still developing and it's not like the resorts in South East Asia which have had the luxury of several years of investment.

Thanks for following along everyone. Happy contrails!

Coming up:

Transcontinental Mileage running for Alaska MVP to New York via Delta First Class.
offerendum likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.