Wiki Posts
Search

Air Asia KUL-LGK and KLIA airport.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
Air Asia KUL-LGK and KLIA airport.

I'd start out nice and easy with a report on a little side flight within a larger award itenary Europe-Asia-Europe.

But I thought then why not start to tell about my nice short flight with Air Asia, last weekend from KUL to Langkawi. I was a bit worried, as all other travel has been in C with SQ, NH and TG...and how it then would feel going low fare... ...but it actually turned up very nice.

Booking;
I booked the flight 2 days before departure wia Air Asia's homepage, fare was
89,90 RM + Tax, Total 108,99.

Before and to the Airport;
By the way, before this flight I had an awesome stay at the new Hilton KL, great hotel, wonderful service, gained access to executive floor (thanks to friendly flyertalkers, for these vouchers!!, even though no executive rooms were available..
Another good thing with Hilton KL, is it is just a short walk and some escalators down to KL sentral and the KLIA Express Train. So Sunday morning off I go with the train, right in time, for arrival in the airport in decent time before the flight, which has a scheduled departure 1250. Arrived at the airport arond 1130, as this was my first time in the nice KLIA Apt, I was quite impressed by nice the nice and modern airport.

Check In
Quite a few escalators up to get to check in and deparure floor. After that I locate Air Asia, domestic flights check in should be in "pier A", found some people queing in what seems to be Air Asia, the monitors above is however only black ...but as all people has lined up, I though I'll que as well, people do have quite a lot of luggage, so things moves pretty slowly.
Finally I´m about to be upfront, and showing my passport for the ticket proof, as I do have some sort of "e ticket". Then the lady points me toward the desk besides, were they just put up a handwritten sheet, with Langkawi.
Great, , queing for nothing, however they apologice very much about the lack of info, and take my passport to check me in. This goes very easy and quick, and i get a sort of receipt looking boarding pass, which is also bag tag. A little messy, but finally all fine. Still have about 50 minutes before departure.

Security and Preboarding
Though I´d check out the KLIA domestic terminal, so walking straight ahead to domestic departures, safety check, and then I´m in the domestic departure area. Seems not to busy this sunday. A few Air Asia departures, and some more Malaysian Airlines departures. On my boarding receipt there says gate will open already 1205, and to please be at gate latest 35 minutes before departure. Gate seem to be in far end of the terminal, most gates are closed so there is limited seating within the departure area. I am at the gate at 1230. Then it is still not open, and there is no info at all on the boarding sign. People are waiting a bit impatient, and when one ground staff turns up they start more or less to knock the door. The staff don't bother for another 5 minutes, then opens and asks sort of what we want, when people ask if there is any dealy or so, they just get reply that the agent is not allowed to answer that question.!!. After this, then suddenly she changes her mind and open the gate and allows us to check in for the gate lounge.
Still no flight at the gate though, ten minutes before departure....however a few minutes later the plane arrives (737-300, 9M-AAL)

Boarding
Free seating for this flight, and it seems we can get pretty much what seat we want, 43 passengers for this flight, leaves plane quite empty. Boarding starts around 1255, just after the passengers debarked the arriving flight, really quick turnaround i must say !! I choose to sit in row 3 first, but due to light load, FA asks all o us sitting upfront to move back in the plane to spread weight. Most people seats themselfe in the middle of the plane, I walk a bit further back, were it is totally emtpty, choose the right hand side of row 22.

Taxi & The Flight
Pushback and safety around 1305, takeoff 1315.
Flighttime estimated to around 45 minutes, after seat belt sign is off, the FAs make a quick tour of the cabin, seems they are not very interested in selling to much. There is some souvenirs (t shirts, plane models) for sale, as well as some food items, which I must say are very decently priced. Prices on the meny is in Thai Baht, Sandwiches;50 Baht, Water 20 Baht, Green Tea;20 Baht and Soft Drinks; 30 B,
After trying to get one FA;s attention I ask for a bottle of water and a sandwich, price for this was 9 RM.

After about 30 minutes descent starts, and we take ground about 1255, a few minutes after scheduled in a cloudy Langkawi.

Debarkation & Luggage Claim
For all of us , they arrange stars at both the back and the front of the plane, me and one other seated in the back of the plane gets of in no time at all, for the short walk into the terminal building.

Wait about 5 minutes, and then my bag comes out first , ^ , much better then star alliance priority .

All in all a very nice flight experience for a unbeatable price.

Last edited by A-340 GOT; Nov 7, 2004 at 6:42 am Reason: spelling..
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Thumbs down

The staff at KLIA sure real rude and lazy bast_ards aren't they? Not once did I get anything short of "get lost you're wasting my time sitting down doing nothing". I was at the KLIA this morning too, and stayed within the satellite terminal airside while I met up with a mate from Australia. The signages are minimal, the staff are unhelpful, rude, surly and condescending, the airport doesn't give you the very cosmopolitian feeling despite its fancy decor etc. I thought it was just a mutual i'm-asian-and-so-are-you-so-why-should-i-even-bother service of hospitality you find on most asian carriers, but apparently when my caucasian friend went up to seek some information she got barked at as well.

It's no wonder KLIA never seems to be up on the charts very much. If for anything they ought to be given an award of being one of the worst major airport in the world for customer service (and fashion sense).

MAS sure lost my business using KLIA as a transit hub. I'm going back to SQ and BI.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by metcalve
I thought it was just a mutual i'm-asian-and-so-are-you-so-why-should-i-even-bother service of hospitality you find on most asian carriers, but apparently when my caucasian friend went up to seek some information she got barked at as well.
I tend to "bark" back at the lazy bums since I cant avoid KLIA.

A340 GOT,

Thanks for your report.

I was in Langkawi last weekend as well. Flew on MH from KUL to LGK on Friday and back to KUL on Monday. Return fare was RM164 plus RM22 taxes which was the cheapest I have ever booked on MH !

Where did you stay in Langkawi ? and can we expect a report on your stay on this idyllic island ?

Last edited by mario33; Nov 7, 2004 at 11:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.