Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

NZ, Cape Verde, Senegal, South Africa & Mauritius - QF, CX, LX, TP, SA, BA, MU in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ, Cape Verde, Senegal, South Africa & Mauritius - QF, CX, LX, TP, SA, BA, MU in J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:31 pm
Hut
Original Poster

Final Thoughts

So, when I set out on this holiday it was going to be simple, then it grew, and grew a little more. But it was great fun, visited new places, meet up with family and friends, and had a blast.

I was initially concerned that the long layovers in Zurich and Lisbon would be a bit much and I’d just end up staying at the airport… They worked out great – I got out of the airport for a few hours and they broke up the journey which was essentially a 55-hour trek from Auckland to Sal.

TAP surprised me - I'm not sure why I had low exceptions, but they were easily exceeded - with them moving towards lie-flat seats - I'd happily try them on a long haul flight with the new product.

Air Mauritius was what I expected in terms of the hard product, but I was surprised with how good the food was and the crews were fantastic on both flights. I'd fly them again - but would really like a refresh on the seats...

Netflix downloaded content… ....ing Awesome! Stopping in different markets for a day or two lets you download full seasons of content that is not available in your home country and watch it as you go… I don’t normally download enough stuff for a long trip in advance – but that doesn’t really matter anymore. Love it…!

On a few of the flights it was clear the flight crew were travelling with their families and the kids disappeared for take-off and landing. So, that would have been very cool! Call me a little jealous if I’m honest!

As for the future, I suppose I am getting to the point where I really ought to become a responsible adult, and you know, acquire a crushing burden of debt that I can live in, do my masters and find Mrs Hut.

So, this might be my big last year of self-funded travel for a while… But it should be a good one, 10 new countries, trekking to the gorillas in Uganda, touring Cuba and visiting Petra. So, keep an eye out for the next reports.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Wow, what an awesome report! It looks like you had some great flights with Air New Zealand, Cathay, TAP, South African and Air Mauritius. Great pictures as well from all your flights - I'm quite envious!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:07 am

really loved TAP's amenity tin concept and design.

thank you for sharing this report with us
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Great report, and perhaps the most random routing I've seen in a long time. Nice work!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Enjoyed your report and pictures. Thank you for taking us in your journey.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:32 am

Really enjoyable trip report - thank you for sharing it!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:22 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
That's a righteous trip and well played on the reward redemption.

I think the Air Mauritius business lounge is likely the nicest lounge in the "african" zone. I've been twice and I've always found the upstairs to be nice and bright with a pleasant atmosphere to it.

I've also visited the Swiss Arrivals Lounge and I also found it to be nice and functional. It's perfect for a shower prior to the next leg of any journey after a long haul flight.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Great report, and a super routing! Thanks for posting
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:47 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Amazing report...

So many not-too-frequently covered airlines...

Thanks for sharing...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Hut
Stopped by the left luggage place so I could add a couple of scratches to my carry-on and headed for the city.
Nice report! MK's catering looks better, but shame about the seats. Time they upgraded to full flat.

Re left luggage - you can also drop by CX's The Arrival lounge as an incoming CX premium passenger. They'll hold your (hand) luggage there free of charge if you're heading in to town and back. Opening times are 5am to midnight... located right under the airport express train station.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:56 am

A really enjoyable trip report.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.