Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Vietnam Airlines Economy and Business Singapore Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh & London Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Airlines Economy and Business Singapore Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh & London Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aergales
Great report

Where did you credit your flight to??
Sorry, I don't understand your question.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Audi and Adblue

Before, I start on the return flight, some videos from our UK trip. Our plan was to go on a driving holiday, so we picked up a rental car from SIXT at LHR and started our drive. This driving trip was an education for me in Adblue. Never knew about Adblue.

The rental car we got was in the premium category, an Audi A6 Estate. It was a fine car with plenty of luggage space. Chose the Estate category car for the luggage room. Automatic transmission plus on-board Sat Navigation. Here is a video of the car. Singapore has probably the most expensive car prices in the world, due to the high car taxes plus the COE (Certificate of Entitlement) system. A similar Audi A6 model in Singapore would cost around 175,000 USD. No joke.

Back to the Adblue. We rented the car for 10 days. Shortly after we got the car, driving out, I saw an Adblue warning indicator come up. And the remaining Adblue range kept getting lower. At first I ignored the warning, but thankfully I decided to read up online and I soon found out that the engine would not start if the Adblue Tank was empty! I called SIXT hotline who got Audi hotline to call me and I was told to refill the Adblue myself. Oh bother. I decided to make a video of my experience, for keeps.

Quite an experience.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
Sorry, I don't understand your question.
I mean the miles you earned from this flight, sorry. Lol
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aergales
I mean the miles you earned from this flight, sorry. Lol
oh! I have a lotusmiles account and I left them there. Not sure how many miles I got, didn't check.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Return Trip

We went to UK for a driving holiday, even though it was in winter and the days were shorter, it was still lots of fun. We ended the holiday with a few days in London, and very soon it was time to fly back home. The return trip would be on Vietnam Airlines via Hanoi and onward to Singapore. We stayed at Premier Inn Archway, which was located near Archway Tube station. (We usually use the Premier Inn chain in London). Here is a video of the hotel.

We took a Minicab (booked online) from the hotel to the airport. The journey was quite far, about an hour. Still, we got to the airport in good time.

Check in was quick and soon we found our way to the SkyTeam lounge in T4. I had read about this lounge and I was quite excited. However, it was somewhat of a let-down, given that this was supposed to be one of SkyTeam's signature lounges in the network. The lounge, spread over 2 levels, was adequate in seating. However, the food wasn't great, and the coffee machines were not working very well either. They did have some live green plant walls, which were pretty neat. Anyway, here is the video.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:11 am
Original Poster

We had a good experience flying up to London on the Dreamliner. So, now, looking forward to the return trip. Here is a view of the Dreamliner at the Heathrow Gate, Terminal 4. Heathrow is a busy airport. Air India Dreamliner taxi-ing past behind. Also a British Airways Boeing 747 taxi-ing opposite. Planes taking off too.

For the return trip, the layover was in Hanoi, not Ho Chi Minh. Not sure how this works, but that was the situation when we booked out ticket. So this Vietnam Airlines Dreamliner would be bringing us to Hanoi first. This was a day flight (departure 1100hrs), so we would have more time to experience the service. Recall when we flew up, the Dreamliner was almost new (a month old). From my flightaware app, this Dreamliner was a tad older, about 1.5 years. I am mentioning this because I do see a noticeable wear and tear in this plane already. Some of our seat buttons were harder to press, even though it wasn't a biggie. In terms of passenger load, the flight to London was full. This time round, I'd say only 3/4 full, with a good number of children! (So my 2 weren't the only 2 kids on board). In fact, there was a very cute young child, no older than 4 years too. Thankfully well behaved.

Flight time from London to Hanoi was 10hr 40 minutes. I had my usual pre-take off drink of champagne. Shortly after takeoff, the stewardess came around to take our orders for lunch, including drink orders. For my takeoff drink, I tried their Signature Drink called Saigon Sunlight (made of Whiskey, Lemon Juice, Sugar Syrup). They had a choice of 3 signature drinks, and I tried 2 out of 3 on my way up! This video is first part of the flight review, London to Hanoi Part 1.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:39 am
Original Poster

As this was a day flight, lunch would be served, in a more leisurely manner compared to the faster service during a red-eye. Lunch was served. For starter, I chose the smoked salmon, which was good. For the main, I chose the fried cod with rice. A very hearty meal, with plenty of fish. You will see in the video that I finished it all.

Then, the cabin crew came around with a fruit and cheese platter, as well as honey ginger ice-cream with mango sauce. Check out the youtube premier of pouring Mango Sauce in Honey-Ginger Ice Cream! A first in Youtube history, I have no doubt about that.

Because this was a day flight, l couldn't sleep much. I checked out the self-serve mini bar towards the front of the plane. It had some wines, spirits and soft drinks. Help yourself. During the flight, the cabin crew came around with little snacks. Breakfast was served about 2 hours before landing. I chose the Crayfish noodles, another interesting concoction. All was good. I noticed that this flight did not offer the legendary Vietnamese Pho - we had this famous Vietnamese dish for breakfast on the Ho Chi Minh to London leg. Probably the London aviation kitchen was not able to produce this dish, which is not surprising. Landing was on time and we arrived Hanoi safely, at around 5am in the morning local time. Thanks for the good flight and fine service. After landing, we still had one more flight to go back to Singapore.

Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up Bump

I could've sworn I posted a comment earlier this year when I saw this TR, but I guess I didn't ... anyway thanks for an awesome report!

I've added a link to another thread so hopefully more people get to read this. Thanks for the time & effort u took in writing this.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this TR was so good that I decided I did not have to write mine as our experiences were similar
(I flew SIN-SGN-LHR & back last X'mas & New Year's 2017)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaffir76
I could've sworn I posted a comment earlier this year when I saw this TR, but I guess I didn't ... anyway thanks for an awesome report!

I've added a link to another thread so hopefully more people get to read this. Thanks for the time & effort u took in writing this.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this TR was so good that I decided I did not have to write mine as our experiences were similar
(I flew SIN-SGN-LHR & back last X'mas & New Year's 2017)
Thanks!
Old May 25, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Vietnamese are a strange bunch. I seemed to have touch some raw nerve and they start mocking me right in my YouTube channel when I did a nice feature of their National Airlines. Oh well.

Insulting Youtube Comments Removed by TR Moderator

Maybe they prefer negative reviews.

Last edited by DanielW; May 26, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

And the flaming continues!!

Insulting Youtube Comments Removed by TR Moderator

Last edited by DanielW; May 26, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I love the lounge map. They shoul do this in all lounges and show were seats are available...

Last edited by tedcruz; May 26, 2018 at 7:06 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:06 pm

I am surprised they did not arrest you for filming them. LOL. On some airlines / countries they would freak out.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I am surprised they did not arrest you for filming them. LOL. On some airlines / countries they would freak out.
Singapore and Vietnam are good friends!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Bretteee
LOL the wine must be the French influence when they ruled Vietnam.
And also the coffee. I stopped drinking coffee a while ago, but, WOW, the coffee that I had in Vietnam was most enjoyable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.