Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA12 A380 Club World SIN-->LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

BA12 A380 Club World SIN-->LHR

So I am new to this forum and joined because I recently purchased a Club World ticket on British Airways' A380 from Singapore Changi to London Heathrow.

I fear I may have made a mistake in opting for BA, but then again the only other choice for a direct flight is Singapore Airlines which is more expensive.

This first post will set out my pre-flight expectations. I will post afterwards to set out my actual flight experience. So here goes:

Pre-Flight Expectations (based on various reviews).

Seat selection: 0/5 - Even for a business class passenger I have to pay GBP 50 to select my seat in advance. This is quite ridiculous. Only budget airlines do this and even they charge just a token amount. Reserving a seat is free if within 24 hours of flight we will see exactly which seats are available then. My expectations are very low.

Check-in Process: 5/5
- Expecting a smooth check-in thanks to the amazing staff at Changi airport. We will see....

Lounge 4/5: I expect the lounge at Changi to be very good indeed, though obviously I am not expecting it to be as nice as Singapore Airlines' lounge.

Punctuality 5/5:
Expecting no delays thanks to Changi's efficiency. Expectations would be much lower at Heathrow.

Seat 2/5: I hope to get a window seat, away from the toilets, in the top deck with the 2-3-2 formation, rather than in the lower deck's 2-4-2 formation which can only be for cattle going on business. Also expecting wobbly armrests, creaking manual footstool, and a wonky tray table.

Cabin 3/5: I am expecting worn out carpets, broken fixtures and fittings that nobody will be bothered to fix, loud announcements of the type you get on UK trains.

Service 1/5: This is Britain's flag-carrier after all. I expect it to be no different to the "service" in the first class carriages on Southern Trains. Rude, obnoxious, self-entitled and make you feel that they're doing you a favour.

Food and Drink 3/5: I am expecting sh*t food, stale sandwiches, cheap tiny starters. However, the wine should make up for it.

So, I hope BA prove me wrong. I will post my actual experience on this flight next week. In the meantime, comments to allay my fears are welcome!!!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Firstly, welcome to FT!

On service, I would say that reviews are inevitably going to be skewed towards complaints. It is almost as likely as having awful service that it will be amazing, and most likely that it will be mediocre, which will out-perform your expectations

In terms of seat, it will depend what you're comparing it against. You are not going to get an experience like the SG giant J beds, but it's actually quite clever and when they're not broken they're comfortable unless you yourself are a giant.

Looking forward to your review.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kawano
So I am new to this forum and joined because I recently purchased a Club World ticket on British Airways' A380 from Singapore Changi to London Heathrow.

I fear I may have made a mistake in opting for BA, but then again the only other choice for a direct flight is Singapore Airlines which is more expensive.

This first post will set out my pre-flight expectations. I will post afterwards to set out my actual flight experience. So here goes:

Seat selection: 0/5 - Even for a business class passenger I have to pay GBP 50 to select my seat in advance. This is quite ridiculous. Only budget airlines do this and even they charge just a token amount. Reserving a seat is free if within 24 hours of flight we will see exactly which seats are available then. My expectations are very low.

- Expecting a smooth check-in thanks to the amazing staff at Changi airport. We will see....

Lounge 4/5: I expect the lounge at Changi to be very good indeed, though obviously I am not expecting it to be as nice as Singapore Airlines' lounge.

Punctuality 5/5:
Expecting no delays thanks to Changi's efficiency. Expectations would be much lower at Heathrow.

Seat 2/5: I hope to get a window seat, away from the toilets, in the top deck with the 2-3-2 formation, rather than in the lower deck's 2-4-2 formation which can only be for cattle going on business. Also expecting wobbly armrests, creaking manual footstool, and a wonky tray table.

Cabin 3/5: I am expecting worn out carpets, broken fixtures and fittings that nobody will be bothered to fix, loud announcements of the type you get on UK trains.

Service 1/5: This is Britain's flag-carrier after all. I expect it to be no different to the "service" in the first class carriages on Southern Trains. Rude, obnoxious, self-entitled and make you feel that they're doing you a favour.

Food and Drink 3/5: I am expecting sh*t food, stale sandwiches, cheap tiny starters. However, the wine should make up for it.

So, I hope BA prove me wrong. I will post my actual experience on this flight next week. In the meantime, comments to allay my fears are welcome!!!
the seats may be alot tinier than SQ or Cathay's seats but my best sleep was actually on the Club World Seat. I think the cushioning of the seat is really great despite the tiny width of the seat
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by kawano

Punctuality 5/5:

You may struggle to board with such a massive chip on your shoulder.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Joely
You may struggle to board with such a massive chip on your shoulder.
Think it should be fine as there seems to chips on both shoulders.

All things Changi/SQ/SIN are good
All things LHR/BA/UK are appalling

I like the gripe about seat selection costing on BA but not on SQ even though the reason OP is on BA is because SQ is too expensive.

The krisflyer (business) lounge is so nice - really? Over crowded, bad drinks and food. Think you will be surprised at the BA or QF lounge are in comparison.

Window UD will almost certainly be gone. Really like the 2/4/2 is cattle class comment.That comment wasn't made when BA had fully flat beds and SQ had sit up armchairs called Raffles Class. Admittedly BA has been caught and overtaken but a BA seat to some is more comfortable to the stand up fold down diagonal SQ seat.

Punctuality is also funny - the fact that the Changi flight is going out at 1130 after being 7 hours on the ground versus a 7pm lhr departure is all down to Changi efficiency? Changi works until a decision needs to be taken

Good luck with the trip. I would guess it will be miserable due to preconceptions
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: QF WP LTG
Nice first post, welcome. Looking forward to the review.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this is not a trip report I am going to close it.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.