Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

PNS to LAX the NW TURBO Way - my first Mileage Run and Trip Report!

Old May 6, 2002, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)

After several months lurking and listening on FT, this humble Grasshopper finally embarked on his first Mileage Run today (thanks, tvl4free and everyone else who's helped out!). Actually, it's not REALLY a Mileage Run, because I'm actually going to my destination - but the routing is circuitous enough that it should count, right? In any case, this is not only my first MR but also my first Trip Report, so please be gentle.

Saturday, May 4
My day actually began on May 3. That's because after an evening out Friday night (sort of a semi-date, I think... I get the impression she thinks we're friends and I'd like to be rather a bit more. But that's another story altogether. This isn't a studley Trip Report, after all), I ended up in my room at 1:00 am after a late showing of Spider-Man - unpacked and unprepared. Ended up just staying up overnight packing, while watching episodes of "The Amazing Race" that I had saved on tape. That Wil guy just needs to go away quickly. Maybe EXP@15 is his long-lost son.

PNS
Anyway, got out of my apartment at 4:30 am, hopped on the airport shuttle conveniently provided by the hotel down the street, and I was off to PNS. I first made an attempt to fuss with the Continental E-Check-In machine. Despite Northwest's assurances to the contrary, the CO machines appeared not to acknowledge my NW flight, and I was forced to check in the old-fashioned way.

PNS to MEM
My first flight was aboard a Saab 340 twin-engine turboprop. As some of you may know, I'm currently in flight training with the U.S. Navy, so I've been doing a fair amount of flying in a T-34C (which is a two-seater single-engine turboprop - overpowered for its size and a ton of fun to fly). I realize now, without the benefit of a noise-reducing helmet and earplugs, just how dang noisy those turboprops are. I could barely make much of a conversation with my neighbor over the roar of the engines. That plane was dirty and cramped, but at least it was noisy...

MEM
After extracting myself from the cramped quarters of the Saab and reclaiming my carry-on garment bag (which had been unceremoniously exiled to the hold), I moved into MEM in search of a WorldClub. Of course, by the time I got into the terminal, it was coming up on departure time for my next leg so the WC search would have to wait. The gate agent at MEM was very pleasant, considering I was the last one to board, and gave me a choice seat assignment - exit row (SCORE!) which happened to be an empty three-seat row (DOUBLE SCORE!!).

MEM to ATL
I know a lot of people can't stand the NW DC9s, but I must say that the exit rows have the most pitch of just about anything out there. Buckled up, stretched out across the three seats, and napped for the hour or so to ATL. Awoke to a rather hairy landing - a rain squall had moved in over Hartsfield just as we were on final. The captain wisely elected to wave off and we swung back into a thick layer of clouds that stretched from about 3-4,000' down to maybe 200' AGL. We eventually landed about 20 minutes late, and I rushed out to try and check in for my next leg...

ATL
I'd bought my tickets as two separate legs, PNS-ATL and ATL-LAX. Of course my cable Internet service was down last night, so I couldn't use online check-in; and as mentioned, the CO E-Check-In kiosks at PNS didn't want to play in NW-land. So, I found myself in ATL, 20 minutes before my flight still not having checked in.

FlyerTalk horror stories of denied service and canceled seat assignments rang through my head as I frantically searched for an NW E-Service Center kiosk. At last, there in the distance stood a gleaming bank of check-in kiosks. Mmmm, kiosks. Mmmm, 2500 mile check-in bonus...

Silly rabbit! Kiosks are for mere mortals with normal itineraries, not 4-segment mileage runs upgraded to F. The kiosk waved its private parts at me and laughed in my general direction as I wheeled about, scanning frantically for my gate. Found it, checked in, and asked about a possible reroute directly through MSP to increase miles and decrease travel time. Was told in no uncertain terms that I couldn't reroute as a standby without paying $1,100 extra. Umm, no thanks.

ATL to MEM
I boarded the flight, which turned out to be the same DC9 that I flew into ATL from MEM. The cabin crew recognized me from the flight 20 minutes ago - but this time I was in First (seat 1B)! Woohoo!

I'm a relative F newbie, having flown up front only once before, so the difference in service was rather impressive. Whereas before the crew was merely friendly and courteous, this time they doted on me and the 3 others in F. Pre-departure service was freshly-brewed coffee and prepackaged cookies, followed by inflight drinks (in real glass glasses! wow!) and airline snack packages. Nothing to write home about, I suppose, but the service was nice. The DC9 F seats are also nothing spectacular; while plush and comfy, I couldn't help but think that I had more legroom back in the Y exit row. Oh well. Back to MEM we flew. This time I will make it to the WorldClub!!

MEM to DTW
I lied. The nearest WorldClub was closed, and rather than schlep over to the one between Concourses B and C, I decided instead to stand by for a slightly earlier flight to DTW.

Another DC9, seat 1B again, slightly longer flight. I was looking forward to seeing how the real frequent flyers travel, up front in the big seats. A guy could get used to this. ::Sigh::, now I'm going to be spending all those hard-earned miles on upgrades instead of just traveling 4 free.

No predeparture service this time. The senior FA up front didn't seem to even acknowledge the F passengers. Hmph. (Look at me, two flights in F and I'm already a snob. Maybe it comes from reading everyone elses Trip Reports and having my expectations set too high.) Service consisted of drinks in glasses again and the standard airplane peanuts/pretzels. Come on, NW! I dropped 20K miles for this upgrade - I expect something better to eat than pretzels and peanuts! I know, I'll make up for it by sucking down as many of these microbrews-in-a-can as I can. Ah well, off to DTW we go. I'm looking forward to seeing the new terminal...

DTW
Well, I sucked down one microbrew, anyway. Alcohol + no sleep + comfy F seat = ZZZZZ. Actually, that has been the nice thing about this trip so far - I've slept through a lot of it. The extra rooooom in F also has let me spread out and set up my Handspring, Stowaway keyboard, journal, etc. etc.

Anyway... landed early in DTW, about 3:30 pm. I took a look at the arrival/departure boards and saw that the 3:20 flight to LAX had been delayed. Could I? Might I? Well, I sure tried. DTW is darn big! I hopped on the ExpressTram (the track overhead of the normal pedestrian concourse is a very cool design, BTW) and raced from gate A15 to A60. As the tram approached the gates, I could see the plane still parked on the jetway! I jumped out of the tram and did my best impression of that Avis commercial (you know, the totally unrealistic one where the Avis employee runs through the terminal, hurdling chairs and old ladies, to return a customer's pager. Sure, that'd happen in real life.) - making some serious time down the escalator and down the concourse to A60.

Alas, 'twas all for naught. The rather rude gate agent gestured sullenly to the closed doors and told me there was nothing she could do. Fair enough. Huffing and puffing, I needed sanctuary. A place to renew and recharge. At last, I found it... the WorldClub!!!

Yes, I finally made it to the WorldClub, paid my $85 for a 2-month trial membership, and relaxed with a cold Heineken and a plate of yogurt, fruit, cookies, cheese, and crackers. I spent a very pleasant half-hour or so in the club, and then left my bags in the luggage room to go explore DTW a bit.

The mistake I made, I discovered, was going to the WorldClub at the end of the terminal (near gate A65). DTW has several WorldClubs, and the central club appears to be the best. Comprising two stories, the big club has several shower suites, multiple conversation/work rooms, big screen TVs, lots of food and drink, and a number of reservation agents to help with flight planning.

My original flight plan was to take a 5:05 flight from DTW to MSP, and then a 9:15 flight from MSP to LAX, arriving in LAX at 11:16. However, as was explained to me by several FTers, going from DTW-MSP-LAX is less than 100 miles more than going nonstop from DTW-LAX. With that in mind, I switched over to a 5:20 nonstop from DTW to LAX, in the process sharing a delightful conversation with a very friendly NW agent at the WorldClub. I had planned to make use of the WC showers, but the pretty girl took precedence.

DTW to LAX
Anyway, I made it onto the early flight without a problem (seat 4B this time); we powerbacked from the gate on time, spent 15 minutes taxiing out, and were in the air by 5:40 pm. F in the 757 I was on was definitely superior to the DC9 - bigger seats, more pitch - but I was dismayed not to find footrests for the seats. Once again, no predeparture service for us. Grrr....

The first beverage service came around about 20 minutes into the flight. Pretzels and honey-roasted peanuts this time. Oooh. Note to self: bring munchies for next flight. I normally don't get on the plane without a goodie bag containing lunch and other items to nibble on, but I figured I would get taken care of in F. Wrong! I should have stocked up at the WorldClub.

Well, I knew things would probably get better with the meal service, and I was right. The white linen tablecloths came out, and dinner was served (no menus, so I'll try and put something equivalent together):

Appetizer:
Smoked Salmon atop Baby New Potatoes

Salad:
Stemmed Greens with Tomatoes and Peppers
(dressing was in a plastic single-serving cup on the side)

Entree:
Roasted Chicken served with Rice and Tomatoes
or
Ham Steak with fresh Sweet Potatoes

accompanied by
Hot Bread Rolls

Dessert:
Vanilla Ice Cream with Strawberries, Hot Fudge, and Nuts

Wine:
Monterra Monterey Chardonnay 1999
Coastal Ridge California Shiraz 1999

The food was excellent across the board: the salmon was tender and flavorful, the salad was crisp and fresh, the chicken was juicy and well-seasoned, and the ice cream was delicious. I hadn't mentioned it earlier, but NW's blend of coffee (Caravali Gourmet Coffee) is particularly good too.

With dinner concluded, we had about 3 hours to L.A., so I worked on this trip report for a while and then took a nap. I awoke to find my table cleared. When I ventured forth to the bathroom, the FA inquired if I would like a freshly-baked chocolate chip cookie. To quote everyone's favorite super-spy: "YEAH, BABY!" Upon returning to my seat, I found a cold glass of milk and a warm, delectable cookie. The chips were melting and you could taste the butter in the recipe - it was a VERY good cookie. My estimation of NW's first class product improved significantly after that.

Anyway, not too long after the Cookie Experience we touched down on runway 24R at LAX. Meandered about the terminal for a couple of minutes before seeing my friend, then it was off to the Chinese Theatre! (click here)

All in all, I was not too impressed with NW's domestic F product, though the food service on the DTW-LAX flight went a long way to redeem it. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience in F, but my memories of my AA trip in F was vastly superior: comfortable footrests, drinks and warmed nuts before departure, FAs calling you by name, real snacks with your drinks (not just the same peanuts and pretzels as in Y)... it was just on a different level. Sure, the seats are more comfortable and there's more elbow room, but honestly I don't know if it was worth 20,000 miles for the upgrade (the dinner and dessert were excellent, though). And I can't imagine paying $1000+ for this! Oh well - I wouldn't have known unless I tried it. I think an exit row seat or MRTC combined with a nice home-packed lunch bag is almost as good - but no hot chocolate chip cookie and cold milk, I suppose!.

On the other hand, the WorldClub (at least the one at DTW) was excellent, and I'm going to have to seriously think about airline club membership if my travel increases in the future. And if I manage to make it onto "The Amazing Race", you're darn right I'm going to be doing a Plat Challenge and getting as many status comps as I can! I want that lounge access!

Well, hope you enjoyed my first Trip Report! I’ll write something up for the return leg but as a big part of it will be a red-eye, that probably won’t be too long…

------------------
- Sameer

"Didn't we just leave this party?"
www.liningup.net
Old May 7, 2002, 12:09 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
I agree, I would not pay $1000 to fly F class from ATL to LAX and return, nor would I spend 20k WorldPerks miles for the upgrade.

I however, would and do spend $750-$1000 to make NW silver so that I can fly F (most of the time) at no extra cost. This allows me to visit places that either I enjoy or have not visited. Yes, Pensacola is not a good origin, but a fairly quick drive(couple of hours +/-) to MSY or TPA (MCO) gets cheap fares all over the country and often to foreign destinations.

Last year gold the hard way!
Old May 7, 2002, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Yup, I'm doing a run in June - that plus one more run should get me enough base miles for NW Silver.

------------------
- Sameer

"Didn't we just leave this party?"
www.liningup.net
Old May 7, 2002, 4:31 pm
azj

Nice report... about MEM. There is only the 1 Worldclub now. It is located in the connector between all the terminals. From your A gates arrival from PNS it would have been just past the Starbucks as you make your right turn to head down the B concourse. MEM isn't a hard place to traverse nor is it all that big... comparatively speaking with DTW! The pre departure drink service is standard except when catering is occuring during boarding or there was no catering provided or really, they were just lazy. Lack of pre departure drinks though is susually the exception...
Nice to hear the linens have returned to the FC cabin during meals!

Hope you enjoy the trip home... Will you pass through MEM again?

AZJ
Old May 7, 2002, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

I'll be back through MEM again (another DTW-MEM-ATL-MEM-PNS) on May 19 so I'll have to search for the WC then. It was really more a matter of lack of time than difficulty finding the club.

- Sameer
Old May 7, 2002, 5:14 pm
azj

Sameer - I get it now. The other worldclub you saw has been permanently closed. The new MEM worldclub is the first one to be of the "new" generation clubs. I hear it gets crowded but maybe that's just during peak times. How long is your layover?

AZJ
Old May 10, 2002, 3:41 pm
tvx

Programs: UA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Grasshopper:
Thanks!

I'll be back through MEM again (another DTW-MEM-ATL-MEM-PNS) on May 19 so I'll have to search for the WC then. It was really more a matter of lack of time than difficulty finding the club.

- Sameer
</font>
Yep--same experience--traipsed all the way down to the MEM WC location to check it out on my return from PNS. . . no luck. . .closed. Please, let us know how the club is. . .

Then proceeded to get checked twice on my at the DCA gate. I guess it's just my white bread face. . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.