Wiki Posts
Search

AS Inaugural Denver flights

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2002, 1:13 am
Original Poster

AS Inaugural Denver flights

Hi all,

Here is another inaugural trip report with Alaska Airlines. This inaugural event to Denver, Colorado, is certainly more important than the Boston flight. Alaska Airlines definitely treated this event with more attention, and media was all over the place at Denver. During the SEA-DEN flight, I sat next to the Alaska Airlines' Staff VP - Properties & Facilities - Clifford T. Argue, and had a nice chat. He was also the spokesperson for Alaska Airlines during the pre-boarding speeches at Seattle airport. Both flights were successful and I definitely had a great time.

April 28, 2002
AS 530 SEA-DEN Lv0705 Arr1050
Boeing 737-400 N713AS
There was a special check-in area this morning, but I used the regular elite line. Check in was no problem and the security line was light this morning, due to its Sunday nature. D9 was the gate again with the ribbon and a breakfast buffet of scones, muffins, pastries, orange juice, & Seattle Best Coffee. There was a huge sign in the counter of D9 and there were definitely more AS employees around. A lot of staffs were heading down to Denver, including the cargo group, who was trying to sell the cargo space for fresh seafood from Pacific Northwest and Alaska. Anyway, Mr. Argue talked and then someone from the Port of Seattle talked, and then they ripped open the ribbon. Boarding began at 6:33am. As we walked down the jetway, we were given a goodie bag, which included - SBC cup & coffee beans, AS collectors' cards, flashing light key chain, water bottles, & 70th Anniversary notepad, Denver Map, baggage tags, Denver map, and a pack of fresh salmon.

Orange juice and newspapers were passed out, and door was closed at 7am. Traffic was light this morning and we took off from R/W16L for our two hours and nine minutes' trip to Denver. The pilot got permission to fly close to Mt. Rainer on our way to Denver. It was a beautiful Sunday morning and Mt Rainer looked gorgeous. We climbed to 33,000ft and seat belt sign went off at 7:35am. Breakfast service was featured in both first and coach. I think the service this morning was an enhanced version of what AS would serve regularly. There was the Korbel "sparkling wine" - I am sorry that I really can't call this champagne. Hot towel service was provided after meal and Y class passenger got the hot breakfast on a tray as well. Anyway, there was no choice of entrée in first class this morning, but AS would have the cereal option in the regular flights. Mr. Argue asked for the cereal and he got it. Anyway, there was no surprise that Denver Omelet was served in both first and economy cabin. It was basically an omelet filled with cheese, red, green pepper, and ham dices, accompanied by rosemary potatoes and half a broiled tomato. Fruit appetizer features lots of fresh sweet pineapple chunks, 2 orange segments, and 2 strawberries, and the freshly baked pastry was cranberry muffin. It was a really good breakfast.

As expected, we encountered a few chops along the way, F/As passed out the certificates and the $20 McCormick and Schmick's restaurant coupons. As common to approaches into Denver from the West, flight attendants were asked to take their seats during descent. We touched down on Denver's R/W16 at 10:26am, and when we taxied into the gate, A37, two fire trucks sprayed fresh water cannons at us - the "arch of water" announced by the pilots. It was an amazing experience for me - definitely first time, and then as we deplaned, everyone clapped and a man dressed in cowboy costume shook hands with us, and welcomed us to Denver. Check in agents passed out cookies and asked us to stay for the return ceremony, and an AS agent would bring them to the baggage claim area. As we taxied in, I noticed that the Horizon Air's CRJ was pushing back, so the scene was huge at our gate. Camera and lights were everywhere - very different from the Boston inaugural flight.

AS 543 DEN-SEA Lv1135 Arr1300
Boeing 737-400 N713AS
As Mr. Argue told me, Alaska will have its own staffs at Denver, unlike Boston, Chicago O'Hare, Washington DC Dulles, and National. AS has sent many of its own staffs there, including one from Mexico. The initial response was great. On a side note, the redeye SEA-IAD flight is definitely popular with strong advance bookings. Anyway, AS will share gate A37 with British Airways and A39 (or 35 - can't remember - next to A37, and closer to the train) will handle both AS and QX aircraft. Anyway, cookies and a full range of beverage were available at the gate and my upgrade was cleared. The AS agent was friendly and they explained to many curious bystanders about the new flights, and invited them to have some beverage and cookies. While I was waiting at the gate, I overhead a person, who was the first to check in this morning and got a free RT ticket on Alaska.

As expected, there was another speech made by someone from Denver Airport Authority, Alaska Airlines, and Horizon Air - the CEO of QX. His wife and he were on the return flight from Denver to Seattle. The media paid attention and I would like to quote the CEO of QX, "Alaska is not the largest airline in Denver, but is the best airline serving the Denver area." It was so true… Boarding began early at 11:08am, after the ribbon was cut, and the wonderful first class F/A, Katherine, welcomed me aboard once again. A bag of mixed nuts and a bottle of AS water were already placed in the console. The load was definitely lighter in the back, which was no surprise, especially not many people have known AS yet. Once again, there was a goodie with similar products, except we got a McCormick & Schmick's leather bag tag (nice) and Seattle map. Door was closed at 11:33am and many staff went down to the gate and bid us farewell. We headed to Runway 34 immediately and took off at 11:52am.

Flying time was two hours and twenty-two minutes, with five minutes added on for traffic at Seattle. We only climbed to 31,000ft and we encountered a few chops on the first hour, as expected. Katherine said that they're better got used to it on these Denver flights. A lunch was served on this flight, and we got special treats again - Korbel and a chocolate truffle cake prepared by McCormick and Schmick in first class. Lunch was a choice of Garlic grilled chicken salad with roll or a nice hot steak sandwich with red peppers and onions on crusty bread (a baguette), accompanied by a pesto pasta salad. There was a Alaska Airlines' 70th Anniversary mint chocolate square on the tray. Then we got the cake and I asked Katherine about it - I was reassured that it was a one time thing. In the back, they got a smoked ham and cheddar sandwich on three seed bread, accompanied by seedless grapes and a chocolate bar. The meal was excellent as usual and the chocolate cake was appreciated.

After the lunch service, AS got a little lucky draw - the passenger with the closest birthday to the inaugural flight date would get a pair of free tickets to anywhere AS flies. The winner was an Alaskan resident, who delayed their departure dates to the inaugural flight for their return flights to Alaska. For some reasons, no certificate was passed out but the restaurant coupon was definitely passed out to everyone. The return flight was routing and we landed on Runway 16L at 1:19pm.

I was fortunate enough to fly Alaska Airlines' Denver inaugural flight and it was definitely one of my best flights. I hope you enjoy this trip report and support AS's new flights to Denver. It is definitely a good alternative to Frontier and United.

Carfield
Old May 10, 2002, 4:40 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carfield:
...and Horizon Air - the CEO of QX. His wife and he were on the return flight from Denver to Seattle. The media paid attention and I would like to quote the CEO of QX, "Alaska is not the largest airline in Denver, but is the best airline serving the Denver area." </font>
Jeff Pinneo?

Great report Carfield!!
Old May 10, 2002, 9:22 am

Carfield, enjoyed reading your trip report. Glad to hear AS put on a good PR show for everyone. Nice that the gave out all those goodies. I wonder what UA is doing in response to AS entering the SEA-DEN market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.