Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BBQ run & FT event in AUS 3/2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2002, 10:29 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
BBQ run & FT event in AUS 3/2

Saw the posting for a 3/2 FT event in Austin. Was on the prowl for a cheap airfare to SAT or AUS. When I saw a $138RT ONT-SAT on UA, & was good for FRI-SUN, booked it!

3/1 ONT-DEN UA upgrade to F (using 500 mi)
3/1 DEN-SAT UA
3/3 SAT-DEN UA 1531 5:45P
3/3 DEN-ONT UA 475 7:35P

Got my first outbound leg upgraded using 2 500 milers. Only 8 FC seats in 737. (I am used to flying US where there are more FC seats!) Second outbound leg no F . Plane was full. (not oversold ) Flew into San Antonio. Only paid $165 for ticket. ($15 hard money & $150 VDB voucher). Went to see friends & it was great. My friend in Austin came through as always & offered free lodging at his house. I do some things for them so it seems to be win-win! Money saved means more $ for more runs!
Went to the FT event in Austin. Wanted to meet more FTers & I love BBQ! Even though I lived in Austin for 6 years, I never ate at the "Salt Lick" BBQ place before. Yum Yum! Met at noon on Saturday, March 2. (Texas Independence Day). Enjoyed meeting all of 12 or so at the BBQ lunch including the Starwood rep William Sanders. The food was great, the company great & the Starwood giveaways also great. After 3 hours, we parted & went home. Even took home a few AA pins. (if UA messes with their SWU's too much, American here I come!)

For my return flight SAT-DEN, the flight availability showed zeros all across. Was hoping for a oversell! Flight was full but no free tickets. As a side note, I checked with both the DEN & SAT gate personnel/manager concerning voluntary bumps. No more vouchers! Just free tickets. The Denver staff said that they get more volunteers by offering free tickets instead of travel vouchers. Guess we smart ones who love miles are in the minority! The Denver staff did mention that if you lived in AK or HI, you may get vouchers. (wonder if I should change my address to HI or AK?--just kidding!) Both return flights were on old "shuttle" planes without E+ ! On my last leg, I mentioned FT to the purser & there was a very nice gentleman in F that heard me mention FT. He turned out to be "Premex". Talked to him for a short while on the plane & after the plane landed. He gave some good advice about my arrival into LHR in Business class. (I am going there next weekend).

Can't wait for another Austin/San Antonio event. Especially if I can fly cheap!

Bottom line: Had lots of fun & will go again in an instant!
Old Mar 7, 2002, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh... Austin... the other FT Event last weekend! <duck>

Thanks chemist!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.