Wiki Posts
Search

DL ATL-SEA-SAN-ATL, transcontinentals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2002, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
DL ATL-SEA-SAN-ATL, transcontinentals

I cashed two of DL's promotional 35K mile awards for this circle trip to the Coast with a friend.

The itinerary:
Feb. 14 ATL-SAN B757 First
Feb. 17 SEA-SAN (en route stop at SLC) B737 First
Feb. 18 SAN-ATL B763 Business

Arrival at ATL was fairly routine. Left downtown Atlanta for Hartsfield via the Marta at around 4pm. Arrived ATL at 4:30pm The walk to the First/Gold/Platinum security door takes about 10 minutes, and there was no line. Passed through the X-Rays without beeping. However, my "personal item" was selected for search.

The security attendant was still swabbing the inside of a previous customer's shoe while I waited. She removed the cloth from the explosives-detector, re-inserted it into her wand, and was about to rub my "personal item" with it, when I objected. I asked her to get a new swabbing cloth. This required a trip to a remote storage area. I asked politely if they change these often. "We've used this same swab all day." Hmmm.

My questions resulted in my shoes getting the swab (the fresh swab by this time). And the explosives detector had some difficulties recognizing the fresh swab insert. Probably because the machine had grown accustomed to filthy swab cloths over the preceding hours. Anyhow, total delay here was ca. 10 minutes. Met my friend at the A-terminal Crown Room. Plenty of time for one of two microbrews that the A-17 CRC has on tap.

The Crown Rooms are an appealing aspect of DL's service, and all of the cities I transited on this itinerary had a modern, clean example. My home airport, BOS, has an old-fashioned Admirals Club (but a great Flagship Lounge), and the CRC is a nice contrast to it.

The evening ATL-SEA flight is on a 757. Boarding began about 10 minutes behind schedule (only 20 mins. before departure), and this resulted in a delayed pushback. ATL and BOS seem to have these unexplained 15-minute delays more than other stations. Somewhat irritating. Pre-departure cocktails were served, full selection including champagne.

Seats in Delta's First have less pitch than other domestic-F 757s on AA and UA. Recline is also somewhat limited. Service began with a cocktail (no nuts or any other amuse-bouche). Dinner was a one-tray affair. No menus. Entree choice among chicken, steak, or Mahi Mahi -- dolphin, I believe -- was taken from the back of the cabin forward. We both had the steak. The meal was fine, although the one-tray dinner is a little light for a transcon.

Comments about transcon dinners: my preference is to have the carts for each course like the old UA domestic transcon First. This approach will probably never appear again, so my second choice would be for a two-course approach: a large salad with appetizer (plated in the galley), followed by the entree course (plated in the galley). I do like the dessert cart, although I wish that DL would also carry a cheese/ fruit option. The cordials on the dessert cart are a nice convenience.

The lack of menus does not bother me. In fact, it removes some of the unpleasant confrontations over lack of entree choice. If I want to know about wines, I simply ask to see the bottles.

DL's dessert is the vanilla ice cream sundae. Options were nuts, caramel, hot fudge, and whipped cream. A couple of cognacs, and I fell asleep. The movie was Bandits. Arrival in Sea-Tac was smooth (I do not check luggage).

SEA maintains rental cars in convenient curbside garages. Total time from jetway to highway was less than 15 minutes.

A few days later, we had a morning flight from SEA to San Diego. This 737 (eight seats in First) transits Salt Lake, although it is ticketed as a direct flight. The SEA-SLC segment departed on-time. The FA did only a beverage service (pretzels and biscotti, no almonds), and she and I talked about several things, including the make-up of the W. Coast crews. She had come from Pan Am, and she was pleasant and helpful. She mentioned that she was continuing onward to SAN, and that the SLC-SAN segment was also beverage only. She also indicated that the onward segment sometimes has a plane change. We had significant stowed carry-ons, so I hoped that we would continue in the same aircraft.

Arrival in SLC was fine. The female pilot explained the "30-minute rule" as we approached the host city for the in-progress Winter Olympics. Bathroom runs were duly made as we passed Boise. Our FA checked with the gate agent upon arrival, and we learned that we would remain on the same aircraft onward to SAN.

Using the back of the sanitary bag to signify occupied seats, we exited the aircraft and went to the CRC. An unusual sight in Salt Lake: the CRC was completely full of Europeans, presumably involved in the Games. The one-hour stopover also permitted shopping at the Salt Lake Olympics store (judging by the crowd and the busy registers, I would estimate sales at $50,000 per day), and to-go sandwiches from a delicatessen.

Re-boarding was about 10 minutes behind schedule. One note: we presented our boarding cards when boarding with the F cabin. The reader beeped and flashed "invalid electronic receipt." I explained that we were re-boards, and we were ushered onward.

After boarding was complete, a redcoat announced that the flight was awaiting a local pilot. The flight crew from our SEA-SLC flight must have connected to another flight. The intended SLC-SAN crew was delayed, and per the redcoat, "this flight was nearly canceled." Our replacement first officer had already boarded, and as he was outside our local pilot arrived, delayed by Olympics traffic. We pushed back with a 30-minute delay. The 30-minute rule was announced and enforced after takeoff.

Accounting for the Olympic games (which I have observed to be a marvelously efficient operation -- kudos to Mitt Romney), this was a reasonable delay.

The same FA was on board, and we had a pleasant trip. Arrival in SAN was smooth and about 20 minutes behind schedule.

On Feb. 18, we flew SAN-ATL on a B767-300 in Business elite, forward section. The SAN CRC is quite compact, and it was full for the early afternoon departures. This terminal (terminal 2) has been completely remodeled during the past several years, and is handsome and comfortable. Boarding was on-time.

The 763 has relatively small overhead bins, like the 737. The 757 had the rollaboard bins, which can accommodate luggage placed wheels-first. We had the left side of the plane, with views to Phoenix and, later, Little Rock.

Service was identical to the 757 transcon a few days before. Cocktails alone (from a cart), followed by a one-tray dinner. This time from a cart. Wine was passed throughout the cabin. The choices were identical to the westbound 757: steak, chicken, or Mahi Mahi. Choice was offered at the time of service, front to back. Again, no menus.

Wine choices included two reds, both Merlots. One was French, and was from the Pays d'Oc. The California wines included the other Merlot and two whites. The Pays d'Oc is not known as an outstanding AOC in my experience, and this wine was fairly modest in its achievements.

The Business cabin was served by four attendants, two for each aisle. Because DL has the additional three-row section behind the mid-cabin lavatories and galley, the run through the whole Business cabin took quite a while. Intermediate wine/ dinner roll runs might be in order, like how AA does its transcon service in business. (AA business has four or five rows, similar to DL's front section of business with five rows).

The DL pitch in business is excellent. Seats are wide enough for me: 6'0", 220# -- DL's seats are about the same width as AA. Obese people appeared cramped. Seat controls worked well, including lumbar support (unlike AA's strange inflatable device). Recline was excellent. Electronic controls worked, but were slow to respond. Overhead lamps did not work throughout the cabin: a minor point, as the seatback lamps worked, albeit also with some circuitry "issues." Briefly, I think that the electronic wiring may be a bit below solid state for the entertainment/phone control unit and for the seatside lamps. The entertainment was fine, but I would like a "classic" movie like UA international business -- also the cost to the airline would be lower than for several first-run choices.

Because of a tailwind, arrival was 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Excellent train connections meant arrival back in downtown Atlanta less than 45 minutes after leaving the jet.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
An additional item for this trip report:

Upon boarding at SEA for the flight to SAN via SLC, the boarding process revealed the true nature of the "random" security check. First class boarding was announced on-time. About four people lined up, waiting for the announcer to scan boarding coupons with the machine (we were nos. 3 and 4, because of some of my observations in the past months). The agent said that there was a glitch with the machine. He left. A different agent arrived, asked if the check had been performed. The first agent, returning, said no, and picked the first guy out of the line stating: "First one in line, random check. Right over there please," pointing to the random-search table. I got a chuckle out of the oxymoron usage of "random" on this occasion. But it is a serious flaw of the security system in place.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh! "Random checks" consist of 1) the first people stupid enough to try to board, and 2) a few really random people but esp. people with a foreign passport or who "look suspicious."

Old Feb 20, 2002, 10:06 am

Location: Los Angeles, CA UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the report! By the way, Mahi Mahi is Dolphin Fish (found around Hawaii), not Dolphin. I don't think anyone would eat a dolphin...
Old Feb 20, 2002, 1:47 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed report on Delta transcontinental First Class.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Mahi-Mahi is also found around Florida, and probably So Cal. It's pretty common in all tropical and sub-tropical waters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.