Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving in Miami via NYC with my first babybus experience also my first ex-DUB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving in Miami via NYC with my first babybus experience also my first ex-DUB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Back in January I was planning my 2016 travels.

I saw people booking ex-Dub for around the €1000 mark so started to look. Being totally unable to fathom the ITA went to Google Flights and found a great fare Dublin-Miami return. I think it was around €1000. Initially I thought of going to NYC but I've been there before and hotels now are silly money.

Originally was going to position LCY-DUB then 4 hours later fly DUB-MAD-MIA.

Was a bit worried at that and didn't want to do a B2B so ended up booking DUB-LCY-MAD-JFK-MIA. It offered stops in NYC for up to 24 hours free. Return was going to be MIA-LHR-DUB with BA travelling on the A380. The total cost was £739.01 booked over the phone with AA.

Positioning flights to/from DUB were £47 and a couple of thousand avios using part cash part avios.

During the course of the year there have been a number of flight time changes and a couple of cancellations which gave me a little flexibility. The best bit was when the MAD-JFK flight was put back 90 mins which was a bit too late for me and a quick call had me booked on the BA001. (oh I see there is a direct flight from LCY just 25 mins after your flight to MAD that will get you into JFK 7 hours earlier.. is that any good for you ?)

So final routing is LCY-DUB (21 Nov) DUB-LCY (22 Nov) LCY-JFK (23 Nov) JFK-MIA (24 Nov) MIA-LHR-DUB (27/8 Nov) and DUB-LCY 28 Nov.

Firstly I want to thank the amazingly helpful people on the board here for making this possible. It will get me my Slver BAEC card back just 6 weeks after new membership years. The TRs, threads on best seat, hotels, etc have been great.

Now this time is here. I'm going to do a live trip report and try and include photos so come and join the fun.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Nov 22, 2016 at 8:15 am Reason: sp
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

LCY-DUB BA4466

STD 1435
ATD 1701
STA 1555
ATA 1805

Saw from a Check my Trip email that this flight had a 35 minute delay so didn't rush to the airport after final erranrds run. Arrived at LCY just after 1pm for the 2.35pm STD. Check in just a few minutes, currency collected and through security by 1.30pm. By now found that the flight was delayed to nearly 4pm so grabbed a bottle of water from Boots and nabbed a seat that had a plug socket nearby.

Caught up on emails and flight now showing ETD of 4.40pm. Worked out that the inbound aircraft was coming from Amsterdam which didn't leave LCY until just before I arrived.

Had a wonder via Pret at 4pm to Gate 3 as this was confirmed as the departure gate. Plenty of seating here with built in plugs and view of a departure screen. Gate 3 is the place to retire to in the event that you have sme time at LCY.

Boarding commenced and a queue formed. OWE and J class pax called as priority boatding and queue jumpers told to do the walk of shame... Boarding complete by 4.50pm and a pretty swift departure.

Cabin service was puzzling. After crew released. FA at rear went to the front of Euro Traveller and did service. FA at front looking after CE was actually sitting on his seat and only came to assist the other FA when she called for another bottle of water.

Was listening to music so didn't hear cabin announcements but we had started our descent before I had a drink. Drink served and it must have been 10 mins to landing as crew frantically running around trying to secure the cabin in very bumpy conditions.

Short taxi to gate which led straight to immigration. Hardly any queue and through in no time and off to baggage reclaim to find my bag going round with a handful of others.

Exited customs about 20 mins after landing.

As flights go, no real complaints, the weather is the weather. Check in, security, boarding and baggage reclaim pretty efficient.

Now originaly I was considering travelling out on the first flight of the day then connectng to IB with 4 hours in between but decided against that.

That would probably have worked today but a B2B on my flight would have personally given me concerns.

The aircraft was on the ground at DUB for an hour tonight so POSSIBLE to get back onto the BA4469 but far to nerving for this TP novel.

No real pictures. a G&T in flight with popcorn does as it says on the tin for the time.

Have checked in online for return flight to LCY and Wednesday's BA001 and got seq 001 for this. Very happy and it seems G-EUNA is back plying the route.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Nov 21, 2016 at 6:23 pm Reason: to add post
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Hilton Dublin Airport.

MMM.. First school boy error was not noting the bus stop area for the transfer bus before finding out it goes from Area 16 half way to Dublin and missing a bus by about 5 mins with the next one not for another 45 mins.

Whilst waiting in the cold I saw 3 buses for the Clayton, 2 for the Travelodge and HI and just about every other bus. 5 minutes later than scheduled bus pulled up and myself and one other passenger boarded. Short drive to the hotel to find one person on reception and the other person typing away. This is my second pet hate to a receoptionist answering the phone whilst checking you in or out...

Had checked in online and was disappointed to find that there was no automated kiosk. The Premier Inn have got this sorted Hilton why not you.

Receptionist finished her phone call and started checking in other person. Other receptionist still typing away without acknowledgement whilst my blood pressure was going up and up.

First receptionist then checked me in. I asked if what the point of checking in on line was. She told me it was quicker as they could preauthorise card etc. She reaches for my envelope and there is a big note on it card expired take payment. I asked her what card details she had on file which were still valid and sheepishly she was unable to explain why this happened. I thanked her and took my card. In the room I called to speak to the duty manager. I advised I was disappointed that details of the bus location and times were not in my pre-arrival email and my experience on check in. He apologised and said they were getting lots of feedback about people waiting in the cold so they would look at this.

He offered a complimentary drink in the bar which I accepted.

Service in the bar was great. A very proactive team and reasonably priced food served quickly and with great enthusiasm.

Amount signed to room and headed to bed.

Comfortable room, not too hot and not too cold and room service breakfast served mid way through the slot and items to perfection.

On check out it seems that the E-Upgrade items (breakfast and dinner) had not been offset against costs so that needed to be adjusted.

No wait for the shuttle and I was the only passenger on this. Driver dropped me at the entrance to terminal which was a bonus as there was a sign there that said buses could only stop at area 16.

Overall average stay, basics lacking (like fast and efficient check in), but good wholesome food in the bar. Would probably return but look at Clayton Hotel and Maldron.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Nov 22, 2016 at 8:38 am Reason: To update.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Reserved DUB-lcy
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

lcy-jfk
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:28 am
Original Poster

NYC HOTEL
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:28 am
Original Poster

JFK-MIA
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

MIA hotel and MiAMI
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

MIA=LHR
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

LHR - DUB
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

DUB - LCY
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Final thoughts.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Great KeaneJohn - looking forward to this. Have a good trip!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:06 pm

Subscribed, looking forward to your report.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
looking forward to reading your TR.

have a fab trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.