Search

LAX-LHR-LAX on AA in Y #2

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2000, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
LAX-LHR-LAX on AA in Y #2

Arrival in LHR

I woke up about 11:15 a.m. London local time, about two or so hours before arrival. Just in time for breakfast. The choices were a micro cheese omelet worth about three bites, accompanied by two slices of cantaloupe melon or Crispix cereal accompanied by a banana and croissant. I opted for the omelet. I washed it all down with a glass of water and a glass of orange juice.

We landed to slightly cloudy skies and deplaned at gate 20. At gate 12b, I made the left turn towards the Admirals club to see for myself if I could get into the Admirals Club as an arriving passenger http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/001624.html I presented my Admirals club card and was asked for my boarding pass. Upon presenting my boarding pass for my just arrive flight, I was informed that the club was only available to departing passengers or those in transit. Asking if there were any clubs which arriving passengers could use, I was directed to the Island Club, a pay as you go airport club which costs if I recall correctly £30. Anticipating that I would have many other opportunities to spend my hard earned cash, I opted to save the £30 and proceed to my hotel. I breezed through immigrations and customs and made my way to catch the Hotel Hoppa at bus stops 3 & 4. £2.5 later, I was on my way to the Renaissance Hotel (formerly the Ramada, now owned by the Marriott company). Even though the Renaissance Hotel was the closest hotel to the airport on Bath Road, it was the last on the Hoppa’s circular route. At check in I was assigned a room on the top floor. Glancing at the hotel layout diagram the desk agents use to show you where your room is relative to the lifts, I asked if I could see the runway from my room. I requested and was reassigned to room 3202 facing the runway. The runway view was fantastic. My room directly faced the runway so I could see the planes as the came and went. Sound insulation was quite good as I could hear just enough of the roar of the jets to lullaby me to sleep later that night when I arrived back from visiting in the city with Lalala and Rmpkwpw and E.

Around 3:30 p.m., I received a call from CART_flagman who was staying at the Sheraton Skyline. We were planning on going into the city to meet the rest of the FT London mileage run gang at the Green Man Pub located at Harrod’s for drinks and a bite to eat. However CART had come down with a cold during his flight and was not going to be able to join us. We discussed the finer points of accumulating FF miles for a while and then he was off in search of super strength, knock-you-out until you feel better cold medicine and I was off for my FT do.

I must have just missed the Hotel Hoppa as I had to wait what seemed to be an eternity for the next one. However, the reddish-orange bus eventually made its way to the front of the hotel so I shelled out another £2.50 and I was promptly dropped off at Terminal 2. A few steps later and I was standing in front of the bank of ticket vending machines for the Underground. I deposited £5 into the machine on the far right hoping that she would treat me right. Alas, no flashing lights or royal flush ensued, but she rewarded me for my efforts with a one-day pass for zones 1-6. and 30p change. Thirty-five minutes and an uneventful ride later, I joined the masses on Brompton Road making our way to the spectacular that is Harrod’s at Christmas.

Lets just say that Harrod’s was JAM PACKED like a can of sardines. Whatever the maximum occupancy limit was, Harrod’s was well on its way to reaching it. A couple hours later, having secured my before mentioned Christmas ornaments and having browsed the massively overpriced by U.S. standards shopping galleries, I made my way downstairs to the Green Man Pub for my 7 p.m. FT do.

As luck may have it, the Green Man Pub was also the location of the men’s luxury toilet facility. I asked myself, what type of luxuries awaited me? With anticipation, I made my way. As I entered the outer chamber of the facility, I was greeted by an employee whose sole duty, as far as I could gather, was to inform me that usage of the luxury toilet facilities required a fee of £1, unless I could meet any one of the criteria posted on a small chart next to the door. Among the criteria were possession of a Harrod’s charge account, a receipt from one of the Harrod’s restaurants, as well as a host of other criteria which I could not meet. I asked, what about a non-luxury men’s toilet facility for individuals who are merely patrons, and not necessarily genteel members of the Harrod’s family? Alas there no such commoner facilities to be found. Being that my options were limited, I dutifully paid my fee and was granted entrance. Unless I missed something, the men’s luxury toilet facility was no different than the facilities found in your standard, non-luxury toilet facility located as most department stores. Commodes enclosed in private stalls on the left as I entered, a bank of urinals in front of me and a row of sinks on my right. Needless to say, the men’s luxury toilet facility at Harrod’s would definitely be my choice for this trip’s award for false and misleading advertising. Perhaps this was a holdover from the days of English royalty. The well-to-do used the luxury (read: only) toilet facilities, while the commoners made do with whatever they did on the streets outside. On the luxury scale, the trough type of amenity found at so many circa 1970’s sporting facilities would probably be equivelent.

After a few minutes of waiting at the entrance to the Green Man Pub, Lalala arrived. Since we didn’t see two guys at any of the tables who looked like they were waiting for two strangers to appear, Lalala and I decided to go ahead and sit at a table and order drinks. I had a glass of mineral water with lime and Lalala had a Compari and soda. A few minutes later, Rmpkwpw and E arrived. Sort of like being on a blind date, the usual greetings and pleasantries were exchanged. As you all can probably expect, conversation soon turned travel and the never ending quest for elite status and FF miles. Conversation was splendid. Its always a pleasure to spend time with others who have a passion (some would say sickness) for travel. Alas, the last call bell was rung. After our lack of response to the barkeep’s subtle hints that the pub was closing, we were ever so politely directly told the pub was closed and asked to leave. Not quite on the same caliber as with Andy Capp, but nonetheless, we soon found ourselves out on the cold and damp streets of London. Being that I had not eaten since my breakfast omelet back on flight #136, I proposed that we get a bite to eat.

The barkeeps at the Green Man Pub had recommended a couple of restaurants and after a short ride on the Picadilly line, we soon found ourselves, due in no small part to Lalala’s excellent navigation skills, gazing in from the outside at what appeared to be a very chic restaurant in SOHO. As Lalala put it, “there are a lot of pretty people in there.” Nevertheless, Lalala whispered a few words into the ear of he who controlled the tables and we were seated within minutes. Service IMHO was quite good, in spite of the crowd and sheer number of people. The waitstaff was attentive and quick to take our drink orders and bring bread to our table. Lalala and I split a large mineral water, Rmpkwpw had a coca-cola and E requested a lemonade (Sprite or &-Up for us non-Brits). The menu was a bit on the neveau-traditional-ethnic with asian and Italians influences, running the range from a pancakes with nut butter and a side of bacon (Rmpkwpw’s order) to spaghetti carbonara (E and my orders) to thai chicken noodles (Lalala’s order). The food arrived quickly enough and IMHO was pleasantly tasty, considering the English reputation for cuisine. Conversation was again splendid and all too quickly, our meal was done, the check received and paid for and once again we were on the cold and damp streets on London. Since Pmpkwpw and E were all set to partake in the clubs of SOHO, we said our goodbyes. Of course, as always when company is enjoyable, we ended up chit chatting a bit more while standing outside the restaurant. However, in time mother nature reminded us in a none too subtle manner (rain) that we all had other places to be. Pmpkwpw and E went off in search of the hopping club scene while Lalala and I made our way to the nearest Underground station, where she boarded the Northern Line and jumped onto the Picadilly line for the journey back to LHR.

Arriving back at LHR, I made the error of getting off at Terminal 4. I now know that the Hotel Hoppa service does not run directly from Terminal 4. Instead an individual must take the Heathrow express or an inter-terminal shuttle to either terminal 2 or 3, from which I could catch the Hotel Hoppa. But, my journey back to the Renaissance would not end so easily. The inter-terminal shuttle as well as the Hotel Hoppa both stop service at 10:30 p.m. (it was ~ 10:40 when I arrived at the bus stop ). Without a taxi to be seen anywhere and figuring that if I at least made it to terminal 2 I would be a bit closer to my hotel, I boarded the Heathrow express for the 5 minute ride between terminals. Upon exiting Terminal 2, I was able to hire the lone taxi waiting at the taxi queue for the £6 (including tip) ride to my hotel. After calling the Mrs. back home in the good old USofA for a little goodnight chit chat, I set my alarm clock for 6:30 a.m., turned off the lights and fell immediately asleep.

Next up, LHR-LAX, AA #137

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 12-10-2000).]
Old Dec 10, 2000, 8:26 pm

I have stayed at the Renaissance Heathrow (formerly Ramada Heathrow, and even more formerly Heathrow Penta) a number of times and have never ceased to be enthralled by the runway rooms there. Great views!!
Old Dec 11, 2000, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by B747-437B:
I have stayed at the Renaissance Heathrow (formerly Ramada Heathrow, and even more formerly Heathrow Penta) a number of times and have never ceased to be enthralled by the runway rooms there. Great views!!
Yes, I would have to say that this hotel is probably the best I have ever stayed for runway views.

Old Dec 11, 2000, 9:40 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

Boy, was I sick! Felt like he** and looked like it too!

Still a bit under the weather but on the road to recovery. Actually, I was fortunate to get sick now instead of later this month when I go back to LHR for a few days with my girlfriend, then over to AMS for 2 days/nights.

Onedog, you are quite the writer, you hound!
Old Dec 11, 2000, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
onedog, great writing! i feel like i'm there. can't wait for the next installment.
Old Dec 12, 2000, 9:08 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Good report onedog. It's unfortunate I couldn't meet up with you Sunday. My connection time ended up being shorter than I thought and I only ended up with about 15 minutes to spare.
Old Dec 15, 2000, 11:15 pm

Onedog, are you going to grace us with #3?

Old Dec 16, 2000, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by Darren:
Onedog, are you going to grace us with #3?

Sorry for the delay. Work has been really busy

Old Dec 16, 2000, 8:57 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I've spent so much time using every conveyance imaginable travelling between LHR terminals and airport hotels that I'm considering writing an M-25 version of "Charlie on the MTA"
Old Dec 17, 2000, 1:53 am

Excuses, excuses....
Old Dec 17, 2000, 5:11 am

I stayed in this Hotel nearly three dozen times when it was the Penta. One Stay there when it was a Ramada property soured me on it forever. Dirty Rooms, Incompetent and uncaring help, and severly overpriced. I'll try it again with new management, but under Ramada, this hotel was an unmitigated piece of Garbage, irrespective of the great views.

------------------
Fundi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.