Search

Wine in Bordeaux, Shopping in Paris via spectacular Air France 77W La Première

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Blimey SFO777, that looks fantastic! I didn't know about the new Tokyo shop - thanks for putting that in there. I've just booked dinner for 14th December, just before they close for Xmas. Y9000 for their premier service seems to me to be a bargain.
Wow, good for you on booking in Tokyo. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by chongl
Another awesome report...one of the first few reporters who inspired me to travel in style
Thank you very much chongl. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
As someone tied inexorably to British Airways, this wonderful trip report made me weep silent tears! Thanks so much for showcasing so impressively what is clearly a world-leading way to travel by air.
Thanks very much crazyanglaisy. I do get to experience that joys of BA in January on our LHR-SAN flight.

Originally Posted by icegirl
SFO777, First of all, congratulations to you both on your anniversary and a Happy Birthday to Mrs. SFO777.
I am a very disheartened with your choice of hotel in Paris
What made you opt for the Shangri-La (which does look nice) over say the FS George V, Le Maurice, Plaza Athenee or even the newly renovated Ritz!?!?!?
Please tell all the others were all fully booked and it was not due to cost-cutting to take Mrs SFO777 shopping!?!?
Thank you so much icegirl. Now, now on my hotel choice.
We've stayed at the FS GV and Le Meurice. Both beautiful but been there, done that. Thought about the PA and Ritz, but we like the quiet neighborhood and calm and understated elegance of the Shangri-La. The Eiffel Tower views are hard to beat. And management made it an easy decision to return. OK, I guess I was cost cutting.

Originally Posted by UAL250
Great stuff SFO777!!! Love the pics. Can't wait for the next one.
Thanks very much UAL250.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, KL
another fantastic report, thank you for posting. I have fond memories of my one and only AF premiere flight to LAX, about a decade ago. seems like they have stepped it up a couple of notches, specifically with the Lounge dining and transportation to the plane. look forward to the next report!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:18 pm

Fun trip report for sure.

It's certainly tempting to want to live in Paris, I can't fault you for that. I'd be hard pressed to say the 8th is a neighborhood I'd live in; really not what I'd consider for everyday life. The 7th is closer to everyday life IMO but still too busy Paris for me.

I went to boarding school in Lyon and would consider that for everyday french life over Paris for sure but I'd be very tempted by long term rental/life in Nice/Provence. Lyon is still quite cosmopolitan but definitely more everyday. Chicago to New York. And you have the Cotes du Rhone and Alpes really on your doorstep.

It's all a world away from Socal for sure!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Another enjoyable read, SFO777 - thanks for a great report. I was particularly interested to read your review of the IC Bordeaux, as it's one of the ICs on my still to-visit list in Europe.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brixton
another fantastic report, thank you for posting. I have fond memories of my one and only AF premiere flight to LAX, about a decade ago. seems like they have stepped it up a couple of notches, specifically with the Lounge dining and transportation to the plane. look forward to the next report!
Thanks very much brixton. AF has indeed stepped it up and is an extraordinary experience.

Originally Posted by tfjim
Fun trip report for sure.
It's certainly tempting to want to live in Paris, I can't fault you for that. I'd be hard pressed to say the 8th is a neighborhood I'd live in; really not what I'd consider for everyday life. The 7th is closer to everyday life IMO but still too busy Paris for me. I went to boarding school in Lyon and would consider that for everyday french life over Paris for sure but I'd be very tempted by long term rental/life in Nice/Provence. Lyon is still quite cosmopolitan but definitely more everyday. Chicago to New York. And you have the Cotes du Rhone and Alpes really on your doorstep. It's all a world away from Socal for sure!
Thank you tfjim and for the your perspective. I would agree about the 7th vs. the 8th. We rented an apartment in the 6th (St-Germain) for a month a few years and really enjoyed it. We also enjoyed Lyon during a short visit, but we prefer New York to Chicago.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Another enjoyable read, SFO777 - thanks for a great report. I was particularly interested to read your review of the IC Bordeaux, as it's one of the ICs on my still to-visit list in Europe.
Thanks very much Genius1.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by icegirl
SFO777, First of all, congratulations to you both on your anniversary and a Happy Birthday to Mrs. SFO777.

I am a very disheartened with your choice of hotel in Paris
What made you opt for the Shangri-La (which does look nice) over say the FS George V, Le Maurice, Plaza Athenee or even the newly renovated Ritz!?!?!?

Please tell all the others were all fully booked and it was not due to cost-cutting to take Mrs SFO777 shopping!?!?
IMHO, FS George V features rude service and obnoxious ostenatiousness. Stayed there while at an academic conference and I've been treated nicer at a Holiday Inn Express. Don't see why anyone would want to spend one penny there.

I'm glad to hear that the Shangri-La is so fantastic. I'm anticipating a stay at their new hotel in London soon!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:19 pm
brg

Originally Posted by snabbu
Another SFO777 report, bring it on!!
I can't believe I missed it for a whole month!
Making up for lost time now
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
[QUOTE=SFO777;27359348]Wow, good for you on booking in Tokyo. Enjoy!

Thank you very much chongl. I appreciate it.

Thanks very much crazyanglaisy. I do get to experience that joys of BA in January on our LHR-SAN flight.

SFO on BA again, now this is a report I will have to read !!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brewdog11
IMHO, FS George V features rude service and obnoxious ostenatiousness. Stayed there while at an academic conference and I've been treated nicer at a Holiday Inn Express. Don't see why anyone would want to spend one penny there. :roll eyes: I'm glad to hear that the Shangri-La is so fantastic. I'm anticipating a stay at their new hotel in London soon!
Thanks brewdog11. Wow, we never experienced that kind of service at the G-V. We enjoyed our visit and service was excellent. I just think that it's overhyped and overpriced.

Originally Posted by brg
I can't believe I missed it for a whole month!
Making up for lost time now
Thank you brg.

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
SFO on BA again, now this is a report I will have to read !!
Me too.
I'm still hoping that I can replace that one with a real First Class.
But we're traveling with friends so I may to take one for the team, hold my nose and fly BA.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks brewdog11. Wow, we never experienced that kind of service at the G-V. We enjoyed our visit and service was excellent. I just think that it's overhyped and overpriced.

Thank you brg.

Me too.
I'm still hoping that I can replace that one with a real First Class.
But we're traveling with friends so I may to take one for the team, hold my nose and fly BA.

Just take some sandwiches, some wet wipes and most importantly, a sense of humour and low expectations !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.