Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Formula 1 Abu Dhabi GP + Yas Viceroy Hotel + Lots of Exotic Cars

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Blue, Etihad Guest
This marks the end of the part covering the Formula 1 race in Abu Dhabi. The following parts are yet to come so stay tuned for it:

1. Sightseeing in and around Abu Dhabi.
2. A 2-night stay at the Yas Viceroy Hotel where I got a free-upgrade along with pictures from the Formula 1 Tyre Testing.
3. A 1-night stay at the Sheraton Dubai Creek.
5. Sightseeing in and around Dubai and lots of exotic cars.

i hope you guys will enjoy the rest of it. Thank you.

Last edited by fahadhasan; Sep 25, 2016 at 6:13 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fahadhasan
Thank you for your comment, Madone59 I read your trip report of the Chinese Grand Prix and really loved it. Do you've any plans to attend another grand prix in the near future?
I am hoping to make it to at least one race next year. This TR has me moving Abu Dhabi up my list of races to attend.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond
This marks the end of the part covering the Formula 1 race in Abu Dhabi. The following parts are yet to come so stay tuned for it:

1. Sightseeing in and around Abu Dhabi.
2. A 2-night stay at the Yas Viceroy Hotel where I got a free-upgrade along with pictures from the Formula 1 Tyre Testing.
3. A 1-night stay at the Sheraton Dubai Creek.
5. Sightseeing in and around Dubai and lots of exotic cars.

i hope you guys will enjoy the rest of it. Thank you.
Great so far and looking forward to the rest of the TR. I stayed at the Viceroy back in 2013 and the location is something else. Not a huge F1 fan but would love to attend for the experience. did you find time to visit Ferrari world just down the road?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Here are a few more pictures of the exotic cars that I came across whilst I was at the Yas Marina.

2 Aventadors' are better than one:

With love, from Maranello:

Aston Martin Vulcan:

More of the LB Perfomance 'Tron' Aventador:

Almost 40 years old but still a head-turner, Porsche 911 Carrera:

Next day after the final race was Monday and i had planned to catch up with a friend of mine today for a late lunch followed by an evening stroll along the Abu Dhabi corniche.

Had food at Wafi Gourmet with this nice view of the Abu Dhabi beach. Wafi Gourmet is located inside the Nation Towers:

The famous Emirates Palace Hotel can be seen in the top-left corner:

A view of the Abu Dhabi skyline with the Abu Dhabi Sailing & Yacht Club in the foreground:

Newly-opened Marina Eye, it's ticket costs AED100 (~$30):

That marked the end of my Monday in Abu Dhabi and on Tuesday, I had to check-in to the Yas Viceroy for a 2-night stay so that's what will be coming up next.
Attached Images     
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Finally came Tuesday and I was quite excited since staying at Yas Viceroy had always been on my to-do list. Before I start off with my details about the stay, here are some interesting things about The Yas Viceroy hotel.

The Yas Viceroy hotel is located on the Yas Island which is a 30-minute drive away from Downtown,Abu Dhabi. On the contrary, it's just a few minutes away from the Abu Dhabi Airport.

This hotel is constructed in such a way that a part of the Yas Marina Circuit passes underneath it therefore the guests staying in this hotel can view all of the racing action right from their room balconies. But such luxury doesn't come cheap and during the Formula 1 weekend in Abu Dhabi, even the cheapest room at The Yas Viceroy costs something around $6000 in total and you need to pay an extra $50 to obtain a mandatory Formula 1 access pass.

Now the interesting thing about my stay was that every time after the Formula 1 season ends, there's a 2-day Tyre Testing session held by Pirelli at the Yas Marina Circuit which luckily was being held whilst I was staying at The Yas Viceroy which meant that I was able to watch all the action right from my balcony!

It costed me something around $400 for the 2-night stay there. Initially, I had booked their Marina Deluxe room which has views of the marina but luckily, during check-in, I was upgraded for free to a Deluxe room which has views of the circuit. Maybe wearing my favourite Scuderia Ferrari shirt proved lucky for me

I will let the pictures do the talking now.

View from the room, you can see a Formula 1 car testing around the circuit:

Swimming pool area, there are 2 pools inside The Yas Viceroy; one is in the Marina Wing which I believe is for families whilst this is the second one:

The South Grandstand of the Yas Marina Circuit can be seen in the background. It's deserted right now but 2 days back, it was full to the brim:

Formula 1 cars zooming around the circuit and you get to see them whilst standing in your balcony, what more can a Formula 1 fan ask for?

I was pretty hungry by the time I checked in so I ordered Lasagna from room-service. It was pretty good:

Attached Images     
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Perhaps the high point of your trip was achieving Seq. No. 001 on the outbound?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:49 pm

I am delighted to hear that, blueferrari Judging by your username, you seem like a Ferrari fan and I am pretty sure you'll enjoy the Ferrari Parade part and the upcoming things to come in my trip report.
heh. this username is different story altogether.

Abu Dhabi GP looks stunning - and this TR gives another perspective. year by year my affinity towards it is keep growing, since that infamous Petrov-Alonso saga in 2010 it only got better. Raikkonen's victory in 2012 remained as one of my favorite.

nice TR, thoroughly enjoyed it. ^
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Funny hotel for a F-1 fan. Nice modern design and many cars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.