A week visit to Machu Picchu and Peru with Mom via AA F/J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Great report. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Looking forward to seeing you again at the Horse & Bourbon DO next month.

-FlyerBeek
Thanks! We'll see, may have to catch up at the April edition. Not sure I can swing next month.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Military dog
What's funny is after I took this, they began marching and the dog didn't move so they marched around the dog. He then got up and walked with them through the whole circuit
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
What's funny is after I took this, they began marching and the dog didn't move so they marched around the dog. He then got up and walked with them through the whole circuit
OMG....
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:05 am

Great photo's of Machu Pichu. Looks like it was a great trip to your sixth continent.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:00 pm

Thank you for the trip report. I am currently planning a trip 3/23-3/30 based on a mistake fare. Would you mind breaking down the days you were there? I'm looking at a week LIM-LIM and trying to figure out the number of nights to plan in each place. I've read several trip reports and an overwhelmed with nights in Lima, Aguas, Cuzco, Urobamba! Any and all help is appreciated!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA
On a related note, I bought LIM - CUZ tickets couple of weeks back. Google flights took me to LATAM peru site and I almost bought $49 ticket before realizing non Peru residents cant buy those. LATAM US site wouldn't offer that fate bucket at all. I was almost staring down $170 one way penalty with those subsidized tickets.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:49 pm

Location: Quy khach muon su dung dich vu cho thue may photocopy xin hay lien he chung toi. Ricoh HCM chac chac se lam hai long quy khach.
Programs: ten
Great great start of what surely is going to be another fantastic TR. Thank you for sharing!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Familyof5
Thank you for the trip report. I am currently planning a trip 3/23-3/30 based on a mistake fare. Would you mind breaking down the days you were there? I'm looking at a week LIM-LIM and trying to figure out the number of nights to plan in each place. I've read several trip reports and an overwhelmed with nights in Lima, Aguas, Cuzco, Urobamba! Any and all help is appreciated!
Day 0/1: we arrived in Lima late night (10pm), took a 5 am flight to CUZ. Spent night in airport.
Day 2: wondered around Cuzco and relaxed at Tambo del Inka
Day 3: Inka sites and took train to Aguas Calientes, stay Gringo Bobs
Day 4: Hiked MP, train back to Cuzco, stay at HGI Cuzco
Day 5: Spent time in Cuzco, took flight back to Lima, stay Hilton
Day 6: Lima. No plans, stay Hilton
Day 7: Lima. No plans; flight out that night.

Might have included an extra day; time zones are hard. If you read the TR should clear things up.

Originally Posted by daKav
On a related note, I bought LIM - CUZ tickets couple of weeks back. Google flights took me to LATAM peru site and I almost bought $49 ticket before realizing non Peru residents cant buy those. LATAM US site wouldn't offer that fate bucket at all. I was almost staring down $170 one way penalty with those subsidized tickets.
I ran into a similar issue. When I originally searched the tickets months in advance business class fares on LAN were cheaper than the foreigner economy fares. I have no clue if they actually check passports though, since I bought legit foreigner tix on Avianca. In hindsight I should have used Avios but by the time I went to confirm the flights, the ones I needed were gone.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
kk: Great TR! One of my bucketlist trips, so thanks for posting.

Did you and your mother experience any altitude sickness? Coping/prevention strategies you used?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: Meh
Great TR. Will certainly do something similar when the opportunity arises.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 747FC
Did you and your mother experience any altitude sickness? Coping/prevention strategies you used?
We didn't, besides a bit of shortness of breath during the hikes. Just take it slow and make sure you have water with you.

One of the suggestions from a friend from Peru was to leave Cuzco quickly and get to lower altitudes, such as Urubamba/Sacred Valley, and spend time in Cuzco on the return side of the trip. So we slowly got used to the altitude. It was quite the change as I live in Houston, and she lives on the Florida coast, so we both live at essentially sea level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.