Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Aloha! LH F to the US, Montage BH, Andaz Maui, FS Lana'i, LH FCT & a Porsche 911

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloha! LH F to the US, Montage BH, Andaz Maui, FS Lana'i, LH FCT & a Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
I skipped the Porsche. Exactly the same car was available without pre booking.
Saw you in FCT on August 12th with Ms.JohnRain(recognize her first ),thought that come and say Hi after my phone call but then the agent came to ask me to car transfer and you two were already in Olympic duck hunting.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by offerendum
Not a big fan of the 911 4s to be honest. Sure not a bad car but in my eyes too slow for such a unpractical car
Well, for 99.10 euros I'll sure take it!
But now I'm curious: you're calling a car that goes from 0 to 100km/h in 4.2 seconds "slow". I guess that means you're from the "Turbo or nothing" camp?

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Ooooh, looking forward to this TR!
Thank you very much, roadwarrier!

Originally Posted by zummingup
Between the 911 and the FCT, this sounds exciting!
Thanks a lot, zummingup! It was a great experience indeed.

Originally Posted by Jaenks
I skipped the Porsche. Exactly the same car was available without pre booking.
Saw you in FCT on August 12th with Ms.JohnRain(recognize her first ),thought that come and say Hi after my phone call but then the agent came to ask me to car transfer and you two were already in Olympic duck hunting.
Ha! What a coincidence, Jaenks!
Considering the fact that I've only published one photo of me and of Mrs JohnRain on FT over the years, that's quite impressive. Next time!
You're right regarding the Olympic duck hunting, I needed a couple of them as I had to trade one with another FT'er, but more on that later.

Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Well, for 99.10 euros I'll sure take it!
But now I'm curious: you're calling a car that goes from 0 to 100km/h in 4.2 seconds "slow". I guess that means you're from the "Turbo or nothing" camp?
It´s not really slow and I´m happy with my car which is in the same "league". But the 911 is not practical in any way. So if I buy such a car which more or less only can be fast, it must be "the fastest". So yes, I would buy the Turbo or stay with my Audi
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:18 pm

It´s not really slow and I´m happy with my car which is in the same "league". But the 911 is not practical in any way. So if I buy such a car which more or less only can be fast, it must be "the fastest". So yes, I would buy the Turbo or stay with my Audi

Must be an R8

GET ON WITH THE REPORT ALREADY! lol
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

The R8 sure is a nice car, offerendum...

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Must be an R8

GET ON WITH THE REPORT ALREADY! lol
Sorry for the delay DetailsIM, but I got married today.
In fact I'd better turn off the computer right away before I get into trouble...
The report will be updated soon.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for the delay DetailsIM, but I got married today.
In fact I'd better turn off the computer right away before I get into trouble...
LOL.
Congratulations to you and Mrs. JohnRain!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL.
I echo SFO777's comments! Truly a dedicated FTer!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL.
Thank you very much for your kind wishes, SFO777!

Originally Posted by United747
I echo SFO777's comments! Truly a dedicated FTer!
Ditto, United747, thanks a lot!

Update: the first installment will be online this afternoon, thanks all for your patience...
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Unlike me, Mrs JohnRain isn't an early riser. That's why I always wait until the very last minute before telling her that we're booked (yet again) on my favourite flight, LH1053 CDG-FRA at 06:10AM. Why do I like this particular flight so much? Well, it certainly isn't the architecturally challenged Terminal 1 at CDG...

...nor the glamourous windowless LH Senator lounge (I always take a few pics and end up erasing them later), nor even the fancy LH intra-european Business Class seat...

...no, it's the fact that you get to the FCT by 07:45AM and THAT's my favourite way to start a day that involves travel.

Isn't it remarkable how everything in life is relative? When you're seated in Economy you dream of edible food and envy those passengers seated in Business for a breakfast like that, when you're in Business yourself you look forward to eating it, but when you're en route to the the FCT, you merely use it as a photo op.

Mandatory bulkhead & jacket shot.

Traffic over Paris.

I've been flying this route more often than I can count, but I've consistently been denied an apron position at FRA. Well, not today! The thing is, I don't know whether that's actually a net positive because from now on this is the default setting for Mrs JohnRain, which means that on all future flights she'll be wondering why there's no car waiting for us.

Unfortunately this year's edition of the Fanhansa plane hasn't been renamed Siegerflieger like in 2014...

The driver wanted to drop me off at the FCL A but when he saw the look on my face he got the message and drove me as close as he could to the FCT.

Here we are.

And straight to the dining room for some much-needed breakfast. Unfortunately there were no Weisswürste (Bavarian white sausages) available today.

I had the Eggs Benedict instead which were ok. Since we had no time for a shower I asked for a few duckies that were promptly delivered to the table. Unfortunately I was too late for the UEFA version and too early for the Olympic version, which is why I got two silver ones.

Some English breakfast.

The salmon is always a winner.

But the Asian option was pretty bland.

The custom-made fruit smoothie on the other hand was delicious.

More fruit.

Still more fruit.

After breakfast we relaxed a bit in an empty corner of the lounge.

His & Hers.

The flight to DFW left at 10:10AM, which unfortunately meant only a quick visit to the FCT. Guess who's schlepping all the stuff...

In Vegas I always lose no matter what I play, but in Frankfurt I always win the car lottery. I've yet to get anything else than a Porsche.

Right or left?

Well, Mrs JohnRain didn't hesitate for a second.

Conclusion: A shorter than usual stint at the FCT with somewhat disappointing food (selection & quality). But overall of course still a great experience.
Up Next: LH F to DFW. Why? Well, who wants to fly to LAX directly on an A380 if you can fly via DFW on an A330.

Last edited by JohnRain; Sep 8, 2016 at 7:10 am
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Unlike me, Mrs JohnRain isn't an early riser. That's why I always wait until the very last minute before telling her that we're booked (yet again) on my favourite flight, LH1053 CDG-FRA at 06:10AM.
Same sleep patterns in our family. But there would be hell to pay if I ever, ever booked my princess on a 6:10AM flight.

Great pics so far, looking forward to the rest of the report.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:58 am

CONGRATULATIONS to Mrs and Mr JohnRain !

Great TR.

Love your comments on how everything is relative.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Aaaaah, many congratulations!!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:57 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
So ready to see pics of the Four Seasons Lanai!
I sure hope you received an upgrade or two there

Congrats JohnRain!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
I have subscribed, so will be looking forward to reading TR whenever you get time to do so, also congratulations on your marriage, does that come into the TR as well^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.