Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Aloha! LH F to the US, Montage BH, Andaz Maui, FS Lana'i, LH FCT & a Porsche 911

Aloha! LH F to the US, Montage BH, Andaz Maui, FS Lana'i, LH FCT & a Porsche 911

Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Is it possible to use "FCT only?"
that was my question, but it seems to appear that all you have to be is FC pax.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Thanks for Clarifying this, I guess I know what airline we will be flying next Sept to MUC with a stop in FRA..
You're welcome, FlightNurse. I guess I know what airline you'll be flying as well...

Originally Posted by klausa
The offer is also available at MUC, so if the stop at FRA was meant to be only for the Porsche experience, you can save yourself a flight.
True, klausa, but in FRA it is a more seamless experience as you can drive to the FCT and hand over the Porsche keys to a valet who takes care of everything.

Not specifically MUC doesn't get the A380, this is why the stop in FRA, plus we haven't really been before, so it would make for a nice stopover.
Agreed, FRA is superior to MUC because of the more attractive planes and the FCT, FlightNurse.

Originally Posted by UAL250
Can't wait to see the ending. This has been an excellent report, one of the most thorough and detailed TR's I've ever seen on here. Add in the excellent pics and good humor, and this has been an excellent TR JohnRain. Thanks so much for sharing all of this. I'm happy you guys had such a great time in Hawaii. Looked like an awesome experience.

PS Grand Hyatt is one of the better airport hotels in the US, and my probably my personal favorite in the whole country. If you ever need a stop for a night or two while in between long travel, Dallas is that spot
Thank you so much for your kind words, UAL250, I don't know what to say!
Really glad that you enjoyed the report.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Couldn't agree more!
The same goes for you miamiflyer8, thanks for all your kind comments and your enthusiasm!

Is it possible to use "FCT only?"
What do you mean by "FCT only" offerendum?

that was my question, but it seems to appear that all you have to be is FC pax.
Yes, a same-day LH F boarding pass is all you need, FlightNurse.

Last edited by JohnRain; Dec 26, 2016 at 7:44 am
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JohnRain
What do you mean by "FCT only" offerendum?
I referred to the comment of FlightNurse that you can´t book the Porsche if you are "only" FCT customer. I thought always you can visit FCT as a FC customer but also only as such a passenger.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

I referred to the comment of FlightNurse that you can´t book the Porsche if you are "only" FCT customer. I thought always you can visit FCT as a FC customer but also only as such a passenger.
That's correct offerendum. If you're a HON traveling in Y/J you'll have access to the FCT and you're eligible for the Porsche promotion.
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Porsche-Excitement
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Despite this being my fourth visit to the FCT this year, it was the first time that I entered through the main door on the upper level (rather than through the door for transit passengers on the lower level).

Is the Five Star Diamond Certificate justified? I certainly think so.

One of the nice features of the LH lounges in general and the F lounges in particular is that they create theme-based menus, as in this case for the Olympics.

I like trying and discovering new dishes, but I nevertheless had a Schnitzel first just to make sure I wouldn't leave the table hungry/disappointed.

I went on with a few Brazilian options. First, a King Crab & Avocado Tartar with Basil Sorbet. Very good.

Then a Grilled Turbot & Pimientos de Padron. Also very enjoyable. I was getting ready for the Roasted Prime Rib with Brazilian Spices, but out of curiosity I went to the buffet and ended up sampling a few other dishes.

No meal is complete without dessert and the Strudel didn't disappoint...

...as did the Dark Chocolate Tart.

Even the gummy bears were in an Olympic mood today.

The fourth and final transfer of this trip, again in a Porsche. It's only a detail but it still matters to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it as I'll certainly get the dreaded van transfer once I'll have kids.

Cayenne vs 747

I always love watching all the LH heavies lined up.

The A380 is so big that it doesn't fit into a single picture (or maybe I'm just using the wrong lens).

Maybe it was no coincidence that for the first time in ages I got a 737 for the short hop to CDG. I literally grew up in this plane on the countless flights to visit my family in Germany when I was little. It would be my last LH 737 flight ever as the whole fleet was to be retired two months later.

My grandmother taught me a German saying: Käse schliesst den Magen (Cheese seals the stomach). As you should never disappoint your grandmother (and as I had barely eaten in the FCT anyway and skipped the cheese course altogether), I was happy to indulge.

Conclusion: The trip to Hawaii was a fantastic experience that created many unique memories. I thoroughly enjoyed taking it as well as writing about it and I'm as always very thankful for the many positive comments it generated.
Up Next: Stay tuned for my next trip report starting in January...but for now Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and a Happy New Year!

Last edited by JohnRain; Dec 27, 2016 at 3:11 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou, JR. Great TR!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Almost sad this TR saga is over!

Have a happy New Year JohnRain!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
A very nice report JohnRain, with some excellent photos. Thank you for sharing. You showcased the LH F experience and your hotels particularly well, as well as of course the island scenes.

I'm looking forward to my trip to Hawaii in January, although to Oahu.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
bravo Sir, bravo
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

That's correct offerendum. If you're a HON traveling in Y/J you'll have access to the FCT and you're eligible for the Porsche promotion.
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Porsche-Excitement
Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Käse schliesst den Magen
That´s true If you have an extensive dinner and you are "fit" after the main courses, take the cheese course. You will be totally "ready" after this.

The choices at the FCT looks like I would expect it
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou, JR. Great TR!
Mahalo Nui Loa, 747FC!

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Almost sad this TR saga is over!

Have a happy New Year JohnRain!
Thank you so much, miamiflyer8, same to you!

Originally Posted by Genius1
A very nice report JohnRain, with some excellent photos. Thank you for sharing. You showcased the LH F experience and your hotels particularly well, as well as of course the island scenes.

I'm looking forward to my trip to Hawaii in January, although to Oahu.
Thanks so much for your kind words, Genius1...
Enjoy your trip in January.

Originally Posted by Wickersley
bravo Sir, bravo
Thanks a lot, Wickersley!

That´s true If you have an extensive dinner and you are "fit" after the main courses, take the cheese course. You will be totally "ready" after this.

The choices at the FCT looks like I would expect it
Indeed, offerendum...
I'm fit for breakfast now!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - glad you enjoyed Maui. I'm only reading this now while in Maui. I do wonder if Hawaii is an interesting place for Europeans to visit, combined with the requirements of connecting and flying American-based planes. I imagine that you could find better routing for similar relaxing places in Africa, Asia, and Australia; I've enjoyed many of your TRs in relaxing and exclusive spots. I feel the same when I see Europeans in Lake Tahoe because I imagine that snow experiences are better in Europe. I love Maui and have new ideas of great things to do besides swimming pools and beaches and Hawaiian relaxation culture. But I rarely hike let alone walk - I'm just too lazy and want to wear sandals or be barefoot for my full visit, until the return to the airport.

Also I imagine that you already drive a Porsche or Ferrari convertible - is the LH Porsche experience still that special? I'd like to eventually buy a used Porsche convertible when my son is old enough to legally sit in the front seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.