Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2000, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
ORD-PDX-ORD (very long)

Or to paraphrase the late Mr. Dickens:
"A Tale of Two Classes"

3/3 UA 1401 ORD-PDX (F)
Due to the generous gift of a friend, I was able to go into this flight with FC confirmed at reservation. I went to the RCC in C concourse to check in for the flight, all prepared to try giving 500 mile certs instead of surrendering my NA confirmable cert. When I get up to the counter, a UA angel appears to me & says "You're upgrade is confirmed" and smiles w/o asking for any certs at all! After thanking her profusely, I get a Coke before going to the gate area which is *mobbed*. Apparently, they fly 737s(?!) on this route and the flight was completely oversold. They were asking for volunteers by offering $400 in UA vouchers (a pretty high initial offer for them) but my confirmed FC seat and dinner reservation in Portland that evening was stronger than any old vouchers could be. The flight itself was about a half hour late due to ground traffic at ORD but pretty uneventful except that I almost got stuck with a coach meal (looking very much like the chicken dish I had the night before..ugh). The FA (who kept announcing we were going to Phoenix for some reason) took meal orders by status & I chose third. The linguini dish that I asked for apparently had been delivered with some things missing so I was offered a hot chicken dish. Thinking it was the other dish on the FC menu, I said I'd take it. When they brought it & I saw it was the coach meal, I asked just what exactly was missing from the linguini & it was little stuff so I took that again instead...it was just fine.

At PDX I got a shuttle to downtown where the Westin Portland is located. It's a very nice hotel (and relatively new, only 2 or 3 months old) where I had already been upgraded to the Park Ave. suite (on a middle floor). I was offered something else higher but took the suite. There was no Platinum amenity, at least when I arrived, and no bathrobe. The room was nice enough though and, of course, had a Heavenly bed. I met up with Shadow and his wife Jackie for dinner that night at Caprial’s Bistro (for any fans of cooking shows, Caprial is my favorite celebrity chef) in the Westmoreland neighborhood. It’s a very nice restaurant with good atmosphere and wonderful food. Dinner was great but dessert was to die for!! They had what they called a “B-52 Crème Brûlée” which was infused with Kaluha, Bailey’s Irish Cream & Grand Marnier, simply phenomenal!! When I returned from dinner, my Platinum amenity was waiting for me (one of the best ones yet, had an Apple-Cinnamon cereal bar & Oreos as well as water!). I called about a bathrobe but they were all out & instead, they sent someone up with a toothbrush & toothpaste. Overall service at this hotel was excellent.

On Saturday, Shadow was gracious enough to play tour guide and take me to some wineries in the Yamhill Valley (essxjay and mweiss were supposed to join us, but unfortunately couldn’t; you guys were missed) which was great! Shadow’s knowledge of the area along with tasting some really good wine amidst beautiful scenery (the sun even made an appearance ) was just terrific! Later on that evening, mweiss & I met up with Punki, Joe, TravelWeary & Michael to go over to the restaurant together. Higgin’s was pretty full and they weren’t quite ready for us so had a drink & chatted as the rest of the group filtered in. We then all sat down to a fabulous meal with even better conversation & company. Afterwards, we had a nightcap at the Hilton and watched Punki & Joe dance the night away while we talked of miles, points & programs.

Sunday was breakfast at the Oritalia in the Westin and it was every bit as good as QuietLion has said in the past. Service was slow (our waiter was the only one there) but it was an enjoyable morning. There was also no problem with my Free Friday but I will verify that no charge shows up on my credit card bill. Then it was off to the airport with Punki & Joe who helped me with some “creative packing” to help me carry all my wine with me!

3/5 UA 1408 PDX-ORD (Y)

This time, I wasn’t so lucky and did not get my upgrade so I rode in coach on a completely oversold plane back home. This time, they only needed one volunteer & offered $200 in vouchers at first. Once on the plane it went up to $300 but since I had to get home in time to pack for the coming week & I was getting in kind of late anyway, I didn’t bite this time either. All I can say is ugh! The flight itself was fairly uneventful except for being seated with a twenty-something couple who were either making out, drinking gin & tonics or he was reading aloud to her from a Harry Potter book (you know, those children’s books)! Needless to say, I was very happy to have my Walkman with me to not have to listen to this for 3 ½ hours. Plane got in around a half hour late & I got home to unpack & repack for this week in Boston.

The get-together was just fantastic & it was so nice to meet new friends and see “previously made” (not old, Punki ) ones as well! Thank you everyone!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Mar 6, 2000, 6:11 pm

Great report, Anna...

It was certainly great to see everyone again, and to finally meet essxjay and LarryU, who are both neighbors of sorts.
It gives us more of a reason to get together now. Now if we can just get Portland 1K and Ling to join us next time...

Sorry we didn't have a larger group for the winery visits, but essxjay & I may try to plan another get-together in a few months to do wine tours.

There is a tour company in PDX called Grape Escapes that offers winery tours in stretch limos (Anna & I saw 2 of them during our visits).

Thanks again to all who attended, especially AnnaS and Quantam Leap & Marie. To the rest of you who didn't attend, hopefully we can convince you to do the next one.

Wish I could make NYC next week, but it looks like there's no way...I'll be in LAS through Friday 3/17

Catman, I'll be thinking about you and your merry group...enjoy!
Old Mar 6, 2000, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh, the drinking-gin-and-tonics-reading-from-Harry-Potter-Making-Out type of seat neighbors...that's why I love the Sony NC10s noise cancelling headphones.

I haven't heard of Caprial...is he/she on Foodtv? What kind of cuisine?

Great trip report, AnnaS! Thank you.
Old Mar 6, 2000, 10:33 pm

Programs: No status anymore. Former CO PLT, NW PLT, AS MVP
And what a wonderful get-together it was!

I really wanted to do the winery tour, but there was a little minor issue that got in the way.

Normally, it's a three-hour drive from my house to Portland, but somewhere south of Olympia the traffic ground to a halt. So all of us on the freeway sat and waited. And waited. And waited.........and began to get out of our cars, chat a bit, find out what was going on in each others' lives. I'm not kidding.

Turns out there was a horrible accident just before the next exit, and it resulted in what ultimately became a ten mile backup (I was caught toward the end of the first mile). There was no place for me to go. So we all sat around chatting until finally traffic started moving...two hours after it stopped!

Ultimately, my three hour trip became slightly over five hours.

I suppose it was all for the best anyway, since essxjay was also unable to join (I was originally supposed to take her along for the tour). Can you believe that they had her working on a Saturday?!?! Ahh, well.

FlyerTalk's unofficial matriarch, Punki, described the events beautifully (as always) in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../000240-3.html so I won't add too much. She has such a way with words. According to a brief exchange we had at dinner, it's something that I'll get with age. I certainly can hope and dream that I'll someday have the degree of grace that Punki has.

Dinner was most wonderful. My end of the table had QuantumLeap and Marie to my left, and essxjay to my right. We had quite a bit of engaging conversation, further enhanced by shadow and AnnaS, who made a point of visiting our end of the table during the evening. AnnaS even assisted me in consuming some of my dessert.

Punki did manage to leave out a bit of the Portland night life description. Not only were there plenty of blue flashing lights, but there were some rather...interesting vehicles. One in particular appeared to be covered in massive clay sculpture, and the driver had what looked to me like a singing sock puppet in his right hand. Baffling, but certainly unique.

And not only did Punki and Joe dance the night away (and managed to induce several other couples to join them), but in the end the cocktail waitress had to kick us out. As I recall, her exact words were "Get the hell out." OK, so maybe it was my fault that she said that, since I tried (unconvincingly) to play dumb at her rather pointed hints that we had to leave.

Like shadow, I do wish I could be at the DO next week. Unfortunately, I'll be starting a brand-spanking new job right at that very time, and so I need to be available in SFO instead. Catman, you be sure to keep everyone in order, OK?

------------------
Michael
Old Mar 6, 2000, 10:49 pm
In Memoriam

My husband, Michael, and I also had a lovely weekend. We had a great night on the town Friday, picked up some great antiques on Saturday, and then hooked up with the FlyerTalkers for dinner. I met AnnaS for the first time as we headed out for drinks. How great to run into another "Cosmo" girl. Essxjay showed up in time to join us after some concern she wouldn't be able to. I didn't have many opportunities to visit with her, but hope some time we'll be able to compare our oh so liberal NW educations and use big words like epistemology! Dinner was yummy and I enjoyed meeting LarryU, QuantumLeap and especially Marie who kept me company at dinner. As always it was great to see Punki and Joe and to meet shadow, Jackie and mweiss again. A special thank you to AnnaS who graciously treated those who made it to breakfast the next day and kept a cool head about her as she kept being served her drinks in the WRONG GLASS!

We ended this perfect weekend with a much-anticipated trip to Powell's where I limited myself to 20 books and Michael found a few too.

[This message has been edited by TravelWeary (edited 03-06-2000).]
Old Mar 7, 2000, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank you TravelWeary for mentioning Powell's Book Store--one of the truly great independent book stores still around. It is one of those places you can go and hang out for days and days and still be finding new nooks and crannies. I go there so often that I sort of take it for granted, but it is definitely a Portland tradition which is not to be missed by visitors to the Rose City.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 03-07-2000).]
Old Mar 7, 2000, 7:35 am
Original Poster

richard:

The Walkman ended up being sufficient but I had a few moments where the noise-cancelling headphones would have been a blessing! Do they come w/ side blinders too?

Caprial's show is called "Cooking with Caprial" and can usually be found on PBS stations but it's also been on The Learning Channel. Her specialty is American Bistro fare, she cooks with a lot of garlic & shallots and just has some wonderful recipies. If you're interested, her website is www.caprial.com. Sadly, I don't get FoodTV because my cable company doesn't carry it yet.

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Mar 7, 2000, 8:19 am

That B-52 Creme Brulee is a dessert that goes far beyond the justice words can do to it!

It may be the best I've ever had.
Old Mar 7, 2000, 10:16 am
Commander Catcop

Anna, a FOUR PAWS UP trip report! See, you can do it as well as Quiet Lion and me and the others! Keep them coming!

mweiss, I'm so heartbroken that you are unable to grace your wonderful self and your humour and your good heart at my DO but there will be others, and I wish you luck on your new adventure.

Don't worry michael! Anyone acts up and I have a tendency to change into larger felines with a blink of an eye!

essxjay and shadow: I would LOVE to come to Portland. I hear there's this beer festival in JULY that could make me give up my SAMS!

OMNI: POor anna and the puppy love pair near you. They would ahve been candidates for my sedative or hypnosis (They might have needed an nap.)

Harry Potter is good but I guess the little girl was not grown up enough for Danielle Steel.

I would have coughed up hairballs if I had to withness that spectacle.

Old Mar 7, 2000, 11:28 am
Original Poster

A nice little footnote:

I didn't know it when I made my reservation at the Westin Portland, but they are having double points through the end of March! No hassle on a Free Friday & double points, can life get much better?

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Mar 7, 2000, 7:47 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
shadow, yes, I'm so sorry to have missed this mini FT event. The closest one to home! Now, if you guys could schedule something during the week (Tuesday and Wednesday are MY Saturday and Sunday), and during the last two weeks of the month, it'll be great! Well, majority rules.

The year of my 20-year high school reunion, we had a 3 winery tour of the Roseburg area, and I enjoyed it very much. And the King Estate Winery on Lorane Highway close to Eugene is an excellent winery to visit. The staff, the location and view, and the wine, of course, are highly recommendable. I'm not sure now, but then appointments by restaurant personnel groups or related hospitality fields were required. In other words, it wasn't a "drop-in-anytime" type of winery. I would really like to visit Portland or Napa Valley wineries. Hey, even those olive farms they advertise on the highway billboards in northern California! Has anyone checked one out?

Great trip report, AnnaS, and I'll have to check out Caprial's.

Linda

Old Mar 7, 2000, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"the B-52 creme brulee..."

Ahh! solid egg yolks and cream and sugar and vanila, with the sugar on top properly and perfectly carmelized to a great crunch. The creme brulee can be the best dessert, can't it!

(I want one!)
Old Mar 9, 2000, 7:50 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I am sooo sorry that I could not make the Portland get together as many of the people who were at the Seattle gig last year were there.

One moment from Seattle that will always stick with me...Punki hitting mweiss over the head with her purse while asking him if this is child abuse?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.