Reload this Page >

OAK-DCA-OAK, Oakland CA - Washington DC

Old Feb 7, 00, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom

I'll try to keep this brief, this was fairly routine.

I decided to fly from Oakland instead of SFO or SJC due to the fact that I wanted to connect through DFW (my hunch that the weather posed the least risk there of all the Delta hubs).

Feb 1: I normally don't drive to the airport, but I did today. Used PCA, off airport lot, they quickly got me to the airport. I then first noticed that from Oakland, DL flies ONLY to DFW (3 flights, one a one-stop thru Reno). I do know that they used to have at least one SLC flight.

I had seat 2A for each flight, both ways, confirmed in advance due to my PM status. The first flight was a 737-200, no coat closet. It was a snack flight -- in F, a choice of Chicken Pasta or Shrimp Salad Sandwich -- when they got to me, only the latter remained. It was OK. The seat next to me was empty, and the flight arrived ahead of schedule.

The CRC by gate 37 in DFW was very crowded, no chance to hook up the laptop. I didn't stay long.

Next flight was an MD-90. F was full. Meals were steak and chicken, I had the former and it was very good. There was a movie (although the flight was only about 2.5 hours); headphones were free in Coach because the movie was still the January selection. We landed 10 minutes early.

I used the extra time and more to find the Hertz cars. I've been to DC many times, but always through IAD or BWI, never DCA. I had a compact reseved, but Hertz #1 Gold had assigned me a 4WD SUV tank, a Suburu Outback. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out enough to drive it! (I much prefer small cars).

I stayed at the Hyatt Arlington, which is very nice. Points off for modem speeds of 19200-21000 baud. I had the "Business Plan" room, with free breakfast, fax machine (unused by me) and no phone surcharges for the usual local, toll-free and long distance access calls.

In retrospect, I should have skipped renting the car. The Hyatt is a block away from the Rosslyn Metro station, and you can walk to Georgetown over the Key Bridge, if the mood strikes you.

I stayed until Sunday to save the company some $$. The 7 AM flight to DFW was an MD90, movie and breakfast (3 choices, French Toast, omlette & cereal). F had 5 seats taken out of 12. This flight arrived 25 minutes early. The flight to OAK was a 737-200. F had 5 out of 8 seats full. The FA was a real hoot; she engaged the small cabin in conversations about the Delta route structure and other observations. And, for the fourth consecutive segment, the flight arrived early.

The prompt pickup by PCA got me to my small car, and when I went to pay they asked me if I had a AAA card. I did, and that brought the 5 day parking total down to $35, which is pretty cheap in the Bay area.

Next time: Back to Zurich again.

Search this Thread