FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   MSP-KEF-CPH-KEF (Hotel Esja) MSP on FI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/178692-msp-kef-cph-kef-hotel-esja-msp-fi.html)

myleguy Jan 27, 2000 6:14 am

MSP-KEF-CPH-KEF (Hotel Esja) MSP on FI

I recently took advantage of one of Icelandair's $198 web fares for a long weekend trip to Copenhagen with a stopover in Iceland on the return. It was a fascinating trip and i don't believe anyone has ever posted an FI trip rport before. MSP-KEF: I checked in early because FI does not give advance seat assignments. I needn't have bothered since it turns out the there were only 22 pax in Y(3 in C) on this 757. Everyone sat where they wanted. After takeoff, the FA's offered a beverage service followed by dinner. There was no choice of entree, but the chicken cordon bleu was decent. Wine and beer were free with dinner but not otherwise. Service was very good, with the 4 FA's working coach passing up and down the aisles with more rolls, water, juice, coffee during the meals. After dinner I stretched out and slept the rest of the way. Inflight entertainment was good. Video included a feature film and U.S. sitcoms. The audio had about 10 channels, including a good program of Euro house and techno selections. On-time arrival in KEF. KEF-CPH: after an hour layover, boarded for CPH. Again a 757, but this one was maybe 40% full. Breakfast was served, consisting of a good omelet, ham slice, roasted potatoes, tomatoes and rolls. Coffee, juice and water was continuosly available. The charming and gracious FA's worked the aisles continuosly during the meal service with refills. This 3-hour flight arrived on time. CPH-KEF. This flight was again on a 757, and was better than half full but not crowded. The meal service was a chicken breast stuffed with spinach, rice, vegetables, salmon mousse, and dessert. Once again, the cabin staff worked continuosly to make sure no one was lacking for refills. The video program for this leg consisted of 3 sitcoms. Arrived KEF a few minutes early. Transferred to Hotel Esja, a comfortable tourist property affiliated with FI located about a 15 minute walk from downtown reykjavik. The staff here was also nice (perhaps kindness to travellers is part of the icelandic character). Rooms were decent-sized and had all the expected amenities. Breakfast buffet was included in the room rate. Buffet was adequate, but not lavish. Took a day tour of the surrounding countryside culminating in a trip to the Blue Lagoon. Soaked in the mineral rich steaming water before transfer back to the airport. KEF-MSP This flight was about half-full. Looked like lots of students returning home. The meal was a salmon filet, with rice, vegeatable, an odd ham and cabbage salad, and carrot cake for dessert. After dinner, 2 feature films were shown along with several short subjects. About 90 minutes before landing, a small sandwich and chocolate were served. Throughout the flight beverages were offered and call buttons were promptly and cheerfully answered. we were about 15 minutes late in arriving in MSP. All in all, these were great flights. The FA's were great and were a refreshing change from the jaded, indifferent veterans staffing the flights on U.S. carriers. The only downside to this trip was no FF miles on the super-cheap fares. Still, I'd do it again because I enjoyed the flights and Iceland is an interesting stopover point (no added airfare) if you haven't seen it.

BlondeBomber Jan 27, 2000 6:21 am

Thanks for the report on this little reported on route! Good to see that some people still know the meaning of service, even in econo.

Carfield Jan 27, 2000 1:25 pm

Thanks for the nice report! Iceland Air really impresses me. Cheap fare does not mean bad service, and US airlines really need to learn from this little airline about service from the heart.

Surprise about the low load factor though...

Thank you once again!

------------------
Carfield
Menu Scavengers
Inflight food critics

johna Jan 31, 2000 8:50 pm

Remember back in the 70's, when the international airfare agreements meant sky-high fares except for a few airlines that flew into countries that weren't signators? Icelandic Airways was notorious for cheap flights through Reykjavic to Luxembourg - definitely the student/backpakers' special.

I flew them once on a a ski package to Austria (longbus ride across Germany, but I was young and the price was cheap), and I remember enjoying the shopping (well, the looking - I was young and had no $) - lots of interesting things for sale (starting with whale blubber).

That trip was with a friend; we had planned to go to Colorado to ski but this package was actually cheaper out of NYC (and it turned out to be a winter without snow out west http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif). The package offered a one-day trip to Innsbruck or Salzberg (forget which) that I decided against since it would just make me frustrated that I couldn't see more. I've never regretted that decision, and have certainly made up for it ever since!