SFO-DEN-COS-Randy Petersen-DEN-SFO

Old Jan 20, 00, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

SFO-DEN-COS-Randy Petersen-DEN-SFO

19JAN00 SFO-DEN - UA1012 - D10/F/seat 1D
19JAN00 DEN-COS - UA1890 - 757/F/seat 5B
19JAN00 COS-DEN - UA1932 - 727/F/seat 2B
19JAN00 DEN-SFO - UA1065 - 747/F/Seat 4F

This trip had three notable events, so I will spare the details on the flights (read: if you want details on those flights email me and let me know!).

First of all, I met Randy in Colorado Springs. As you all know (either personally or inferentially) Randy is a very generous, smart, personable fellow! We talked, and I was able to see InsideFlyer's new building - soon to be inhabited - which is AMAZING! As you all can imagine, spending time with Randy, there is a natural and persistent feeling of wanting to ask millions of questions about the affinity programs' insides-and-outs, but I resisted (to some degree), and we were able to discuss a bunch of other things. On the way back to the airport (Randy was kind enough to drive) we did briefly talk about United's new First Suite...

...so imagine my PLEASANT suprise when I got into Denver and boarded the 747 to find the First Suite for the 2 hour+ flight to San Francisco! Several United pilots in first class, and they worked most of the flight (they had just come out of some training program, I think). I swapped seats with one of them, and took his window suite, which I found has a bit more storage space and feeling of privacy than one of the two center suites (in which my wife and I sat coming home from Bangkok in November). Totally pleasant and comfortable flight!

The third item I wanted to mention relates to technology. As wireless devices increasingly have Internet capabilities, there is also room for errors and problems such as the one I experienced:

Prior to the trip, I set up a United page for my flights at the UAL site. The page is supposed to trigger if there is a change in the itinerary or other problem. So, I am waiting to board the flight from DEN to COS, and I get a page to my phone from United saying that the flight has been cancelled. The board shows only a 20 minute delay. I asked the gate agent, and he said, "well, the flight couldn't be cancelled without my knowing it or the ground crew knowing it first". Acting on the page, and assuming that the flight was indeed cancelled, I moved to the next flight to COS. While waiting for that second flight, I checked the departure screens, and found out that the original flight not only was NOT cancelled, but it had just left for COS! I was bummed, and felt embarassed explaining to Randy Petersen of all people how a long-time premier exec. had missed his flight.
:-(

So, be aware of potential technology-related pitfalls!

------------------

[This message has been edited by rhw88 (edited 01-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rhw88 (edited 01-20-2000).]

Search this Thread