Wiki Posts
Search

Metrojet (IAD-MDW, MDW-IAD)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2000, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Metrojet (IAD-MDW, MDW-IAD)

I don't see too many Metrojet trip reports here. Metrojet of course is the low fare division of USAir -- pardon me, US AirWAYS. They fly rather old 737s with Dulles as the main hub, using a one class no-frills approach.

The flight out from Dulles started in the B concourse. The gate agent was very nice and gave me a good seat. He commented, "you're a Preferred Plus. Thanks for being a loyal traveller," which I thought was very professional.

I could see the flight was light but when I got down to the airplane from the gate, the FA said "oh, you've started" and I realized that he meant something like, "oh you passengers have starte to board". It wasn't a good omen but actually the flight was fine.

Only 12 on the entire airplane. I sat in the 2 across exit row so I had plenty of leg room. The FAs were nice and brought coffee several times. The flight was bumpy. We landed in MDW and that is great -- step out of the gate and 50 feet from the exit and the taxi stand. USAirways shares gate 1A with Southwest, and that is a great convenient gate. Also it is quicker and cheaper to get into downtown than ORD.

I did my business in cold cold Chicago and taxied back to Midway back to gate 1A. Actually I went up to the ticket agent for a boarding pass but found that with Metrojet only the gate issues boarding passes.

They don't board status first on Metrojet, strictly by row number. That is the downside from being seated in row 1C. On that particular 737-200 1C is the best seat in the house, with unlimited legroom as an exit row.

The flight back was similar to the flight out, although about 1/2 full. Service was fine. The FA came to me and asked what I wanted to drink. I ordered a JW Black/Soda and said, jokingly, "do I get a discount as a Preferred Plus?" and she gave me my drink without charging me the $4, which was nice.

I have taken Metrojet down to Ft Lauderdale and also to Raleigh Durham and I have found it consistent. The FAs don't joke like they do on SW but it isn't a cattle call either. I find the staff friendlier and more professinonal than, for instance, AirTran which I don't fly anymore. So I would rate it an excellent value. The United fare was $1176, but this cost me only $378 R/T and for a short flight how can you beat it?

Old Jan 10, 2000, 7:04 am
geo1004

Old Jan 10, 2000, 8:17 am
dg1

Thanks for the trip report. So far I've not flown metrojet but have had opportunities since they fly to CMH. Normally US matches Southwest's fares here but limits it to Metrojet. Sometimes when Delta and the other majors also match it, they don't limit it to Metrojet. Then I book it

It's good to hear that if I have to go Metrojet it'll be ok. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.