FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1786505-our-week-ireland-via-air-france-la-premiere.html)

dat4life Sep 9, 2016 8:01 am

Nice report, as usual SFO777. I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually really like the AA's ol' NGBC seats. I actually sleep better in them than I do on the newer lie-flat J products, including the 77W.

offerendum Sep 9, 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 27182961)
So, my love, what do you think of American, our plane and your seat today? LOL.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/...2104d9a5_c.jpg

This looks like you will have something from this flight for a long time:D

I wonder why you choosed the Shelburn in Dublin. Thought I read something about the Merrion;)

cmd320 Sep 9, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks for a great conclusion to your report! The J lounge at DUB actually looks pretty nice with a decent selection of food. I will say the chicken on the AA TATL looked pretty serviceable as well. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the best thing they serve.

That transcon flight though, man, what a mess. Crazy that AA, arguably the most established airline on this route, has such a marginal product. It would be tough for me to consider flying AA again on these routes when B6 can be had, even if the AA ground experience may be a bit better. Best of luck on the 77W flight back! I've had a few of those go tech on me this year.

Bretteee Sep 9, 2016 9:48 am

I prefer Aer Lingus over AA. Their Business class looks nice. I only fly economy with them and it's always been pleasant.

I flew from Shannon to New York on a TWA 707 in 1977.

Thanks for the amusing entertainment.

FlightNurse Sep 9, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by niele (Post 27184405)
Priceless!!! Your wife is such a trooper but I bet there will not be an AA Business seat in her future. :D I so love your trip reports, SFO777!!

To be fair, the J seats on the 77W are nice, since they are basically the same one that SFO777 was to be in on the JFK-LAX flight. Meals have improved, and slowly the hard product is, once the 757 get the same deals as the A321T things wont be as bad.

SFO777 Sep 10, 2016 7:46 am

Originally Posted by dat4life (Post 27187602)
Nice report, as usual SFO777. I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually really like the AA's ol' NGBC seats. I actually sleep better in them than I do on the newer lie-flat J products, including the 77W.

Thank you dat4life. Interesting that you would sleep better on those old seats. We just don't do angled lie flat well.

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27187744)
This looks like you will have something from this flight for a long time:D I wonder why you choosed the Shelburn in Dublin. Thought I read something about the Merrion;)

Oh yeah. :eek:

Our TA selected the hotel. I didn't really care about here we stayed that night, as we were only there for 13 hours and it was just a place to sleep before heading to the airport in the morning.

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 27187931)
Thanks for a great conclusion to your report! The J lounge at DUB actually looks pretty nice with a decent selection of food. I will say the chicken on the AA TATL looked pretty serviceable as well. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the best thing they serve.
That transcon flight though, man, what a mess. Crazy that AA, arguably the most established airline on this route, has such a marginal product. It would be tough for me to consider flying AA again on these routes when B6 can be had, even if the AA ground experience may be a bit better. Best of luck on the 77W flight back! I've had a few of those go tech on me this year.

Thanks very much cmd320. Both my chicken mains were good. Wise decision to add some spices to these dishes. And both were properly prepared and not dry. Kind of like the old AA domestic chicken meals.

Originally Posted by Bretteee (Post 27188083)
I prefer Aer Lingus over AA. Their Business class looks nice. I only fly economy with them and it's always been pleasant.
I flew from Shannon to New York on a TWA 707 in 1977.
Thanks for the amusing entertainment.

Thank you Bretteee. I'm sure we would have preferred Aer Lingus but it didn't make sense given the open jaw DUB-LAX-FCO ticket we were using.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 27188142)
To be fair, the J seats on the 77W are nice, since they are basically the same one that SFO777 was to be in on the JFK-LAX flight. Meals have improved, and slowly the hard product is, once the 757 get the same deals as the A321T things wont be as bad.

The 77W J seats are indeed nice. But in the end, it's still AA. As long as one tempers (lowers) expectations, it will be fine.

offerendum Sep 10, 2016 8:44 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 27191753)
Our TA selected the hotel.

OK - I know, why no one choose hotels for me😉

andymcdonnell Sep 10, 2016 7:22 pm

The end of a very enjoyable & amusing TR. Looking forward to the next already

SFO777 Sep 11, 2016 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell (Post 27194073)
The end of a very enjoyable & amusing TR. Looking forward to the next already

Thanks very much andymcdonnell.

Eastbay1K Sep 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by dat4life (Post 27187602)

Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. And unfortunately, I'm going to be on one next month.

Eastbay1K Sep 11, 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 27182961)
It was moist and quite tasty.

The couple of bites tiny Greek Salad was tasty.

But, the big surprise was the Pots & Co. Salted Caramel Pot, which was delicious.

Fabulous.

How much did you throw up in your own mouth making the aforementioned comments about AA Food in 2016? For AA food consistency's sake, you should have asked the FA to put the chicken back in the oven for another half hour :D

SFO777 Sep 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 27196796)
Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. And unfortunately, I'm going to be on one next month.

My condolences. :eek:

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 27196821)
How much did you throw up in your own mouth making the aforementioned comments about AA Food in 2016? For AA food consistency's sake, you should have asked the FA to put the chicken back in the oven for another half hour :D

LOL. Now, now. ;)

TheBOSman Sep 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 27201404)
LOL. Now, now. ;)

Even a blind squirrel (AA) finds a nut sometimes ;).

peasant Sep 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Mrs. SFO777 with a Guinness for the photo op only. One sip was enough.
Forget the brouhaha over firstclassloungephotofacesnothiddengate. Forget the deplorable service at Ashford Castle. Forget having to slum it in business class.

Actually, don't forget them. All the above are well deserved and just karmic revenge for Mrs. SFO777 wasting Guinness - and more than that, freshly brewed Dublin Guinness.

I foresee broken IFE, missed connections and downgrades galore in her future. One sip of Guinness more than enough indeed. You have angered the gods of the brewery, and must pay the price.

gaobest Sep 12, 2016 10:43 pm

I assumed SFO just drank the rest of the Guinness!