Wiki Posts
Search

Catman's BIRTHDAY IN THE AIR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2000, 5:06 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Catman's BIRTHDAY IN THE AIR

Sorry it's a bit late but I"m working and recovering.

SO sit down in your favorite chair, grab a cold one and enjoy!!! It's a mini novel but since it's about my birthday I can write as long as I want!!

(OK I"M SORRY I MAKE A BIG DEAL OVER MY BIRTHDAY BUT EVERYDAY I WAKE UP IS SPECIAL AND MAKING IT TO ANOTHER YEAR IS EVEN MORE SPECIAL!)

12-31: I was so excited about my birthday (could not care less about the Millenium or Y-2-K or other stuff) I woke up 2 hour earlier than I was supposed to at the Hyatt DFW.) After a long walk through the tunnel to the little tram and through security I was on my way to "smaller than my apartment" RCC Lounge.

it was spooky. I think I saw like three people. I guess everyone was sleeping in to party for my birthday.

Go to the RCC Lounge. The guy at the counter seemed sour and despite my attempts at being friendly and making small talk he was stone faced. He did NOT ask the security questions and he did not even crack a emotion. (it's ashame since he is my namesake.) I asked for messages and he growled "I don't see any messages and they are none here for anyone."

What a sourpuss!

The bartender was friendier. I got my COKE and spent the time talking with a couple heading ot San Fran and a man heading home to Chicago. We talked of Traveling and United and pets and I showed photos of my cats (I figured Mr. Stoneface probably had a snake at home so I passed on the cat pix displays!)

The RCC lOunge had cereal bars and cereal including my favorite "Kelloggs Frosted Flakes... THEY"RE GREAT!!!' I took a box of F Flakes and a cereal bar in case I got stuck.

Saw New Year's in Sydney came and went without the world coming to an end. I said "SO far so good" and headed to the gate.

I saw boarding and rushed to the door, inserted the ticket and it come back complete. The gate agent said "Unless you really want to go to Denver this is NOT your Chicago flight." I felt so embarassed and some guy behind me said "aren't you glad someone checked!'

The right gate is next door. Board the plane for:

UA FGT 710 (DFW-ORD) the very friendly F-A Edna took my bag and the younger girl (who joked she was younger than the 727) offered me a quick Coke. In the seat next to me was Mr. chicago from the RCC Lounge.

Flight about half full. Four open seats in first. One UA Pilot took a first seat.

Edna takes drink orders and talks of New Year's. I intiially ask for a Coke and Mr. Chicago asked for a Bloody Mary. Figuring it was my birthday and remembering that Milecrazy suggested it as a great pick-me-up, I changed to the Bloody Mary. After the first sip hit me, I told Edna that it was my birthday. Brian shook my hand and convinced me to ahve a second Bloody Mary. And later a third. He said his wife was picking him up so he wanted to prepare for New Year's and my birthday.

Breakfast choice of fruit plate (I took the corn flakes, forgot about the better Frosted Flakes) instead of the b-fast meats platter.

We were really flying (at least I felt that way!) THen MR. Chicago and Edna come up and sing happy birhtdya off key to me and the first class cabin clapped. I got a great bottle of Champaigne and a very nice note from Edna. It was terrific.

Plane arrives 15 minutes early. My bag already heavy with birthday and Christmas goodies is heavier with the champaigne.

Had time for a quick stop at the RCC club for restroom, phone and a Coke.

I knew it must have been my birthday. My connecting flight was only 3 gates from my arrival from DFW-ORD.

UA FGT 642: ORD-EWR. Plane a 7-37 and only 8 seats in first.

The F-A's were chatting away and didn't look like the friendliest ones for the passengers. I nicely asked if I could put my Harrod's cat bag in the closet and the f-A snapped "Either it goes in the overhead or in the seat in front of you ro we check it." I said it can't be checked... everything will fall out. She just said "just put it in the overhead." All I was trying to do was being nice and I got brushed off.

Decided not to mention it was my birthday. They did not sseem as warm as Edna.

The overheads filled fast. Two U-A Pilots followed me on board and got two of the First class seats and put their big briefcases in the overhead. Three First class passengers had to search the plane for space for their bags, the F-A said "We'll only put stuff in the closet when ALL overhead and seat space is taken."

Plane was full. We took off on time and I have to say the flight was uneventual. The guy next to me said nothing. That was ok.

The one blonde F-A took meal orders from back to front... Left side got asked first. The two passengers in the first row to the right appeared a bit disappointed they got the tenderloin (It was advertised as filet mignon) since the Turkey meals ran out.

The turkey was thick and juicy and fine. The stuffing tasted wierd, very dry. And this gooey stuff that looked like egg yokes was butter squash. I only had the turkey and added two glasses of wine and a Becks beer to my birthday drinks menu.

FLight was 25 minutes early. It was nice to be almost home adn ready to see my friends Maryann, her sisters, their spouses and friends on Long Island to ring in the new century.

Ok boys! You can wake up now. My trip report is over.

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 01-02-2000).]
Old Jan 2, 2000, 8:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Ha! I didn't fall asleep! Anyway, wish you have had a wonderful birthday and an amazing Y2K!
Old Jan 3, 2000, 5:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Aren't you glad you're not in Chicago?

Happy flying 2000 Catman!
Old Jan 3, 2000, 5:43 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
so you had a coked-bloody-champagne-becks-wine - what a great way to celebrate birthday!
Old Jan 3, 2000, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Hey BB!

What's wrong with Chicago?

New Year's here in Chi-town was great!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Old Jan 3, 2000, 4:43 pm
Original Member

AnnaS: nothing wrong with being in Chicago except when you want to be in New Jersey

Happy New Year!

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-03-2000).]
Old Jan 3, 2000, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Catman,

What did I tell you about mixing your drinks young man!

Old Jan 3, 2000, 8:29 pm
Original Member

Now that the effect of the New Year's wine and champagne has finally worn off, I reread Catman's post. I guess I should have said "Aren't you glad you're not in Denver Catman".

Not to tick off the Denver folks either (it's kind of like Calgary South/or Calgary is Denver North).
Old Jan 3, 2000, 11:08 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

BlondeBomber... I think the one place you didn't want to be was Times Square. What a big over-hyped let down. From what I saw on t=v, what a big Hairball.

Where we all should have been was Paris. the French really know how to put on a show. Magnifique!!! FOUR PAWS UP!!! I hope to be there for my next birthday!

Denver is a wonderful town, and two of our dearest Flyertalk friends live there: Quantum Leap and Marie.

newself: the good news is I did not get sick. I did mix, but over a period of many hours. And just focused on one drink at a time.

I did have a hangover but it's amazing that Coca Cola is a good remedy. I guess it's good for something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.