Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAN-DTW (NW, DL, Starwood)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 1999, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

SAN-DTW (NW, DL, Starwood)

To save costs for my client, I routed my trip via PHX, coupling a $658 unrestricted discount ticket from PHX-DTW with $167 SAN-PHX.

13DEC DL50 SAN-PHX

This was the 6:30 am BizElite flight that travels SAN-PHX-JFK. This time, the a/c was a 767-300ER (as opposed to the 767-300G, which has manually operated, less comfortable sleepers). I gather that DL rotates the 8 "G" versions throughout the route network.

No food, no short video, etc. etc. on this 50 minute flight, but quite a few pax terminated in PHX, as I did.

I headed to the CRC in PHX and decided to purchase a membership ($50 Amex coupon and 5,000 mi bonus...I hope they combine!). I have been using my RCC membership, which expires this month. Since I am DONE with UA, it was a no brainer to purchase the DL membership. The club was empty, and all the agents were talking about the big "bird" 767 with BizElite. They were discussing taking a flight to JFK and back just to check it out.

I chose NW to DTW because HP had no first class seats available for an upgrade (I made my reservation the night before). DL and NW fly out of the same concourse, so it was easy.

13DEC NW 68 PHX-DTW

Boarding was chaos...the 757 was totally full, so the agents began boarding 40 minutes before flight time. Also, they didn't even pretend to enforce boarding by row numbers. As a result, one long line, which I was at the end of (I didn't expect such early boarding). Luckily, plenty of room in F/C for my rollaboard, and I settled in for a nice flight.

NW took yet another opportunity to dissapoint. This was a 3+ hour flight, and lunch was a choice between a chicken brest over rice (cold) or a BBQ beef sandwich. Yes, there was a printed menu, but they needn't bother. Of course, no movies (I expected that), but the worst part of the trip was the extremely uncomfortable seats on the 757. They were old, with flattened, lifeless cushioning, and that ugly blue paisly (which NW still orders on new a/c). My back was killing my by the time we landed at DTW.

Budget Rent a Car, DTW

Another mistake, but I wanted their special rate on the Grand Marquis. Very poor customer service, with no set process for giving customers directions (no kiosk, no preprinted directions, etc.) FastBreak was useless because I needed directions. Then they didn't have any cars pulled up front in my category...a great partner for NW! In my experience, Avis really does try harder (when I ask for directions on the bus, someone is waiting by my car with directions by the time we get to the lot.)

Westin Southfield

I like the Marriott Troy, but it is too expensive and was sold out anyway. This was the worst Westin stay that I have ever had. The hotel was run down, had terrible HVAC systems, and my room had a huge bleach stain on the carpet (15" in diameter). But it had a Heavenly bed, which looked totally out of place amid dark, early eighties decor. The executive lounge was poorly run. It did not keep regular hours, and was fairly poorly stocked in the evening (I didn't try breakfast there). Housekeeping was dismal! Imagine by caffiene addicted bones when I awoke to find only one packet of coffee next to the coffee maker by the sink...and it was DECAF! There was only one bar of soap, the housekeeper did not replace used glasses, and in fact, left them out, along with an empty can of Sprite. I don't understand this property at all. This morning, unable to sleep, I checked out at 5am and headed to DTW. I had determined that I would forgo the nonstop NW flight back to PHX, and take DL via CVG.

DL DTW-CVG-SAN.

DL was a great way to end this ugly trip. Smiling faces and southern hospitality. The CRC at DTW wasn't open until 6:15, so I just headed to the gate and looked up and down concourse A and B futilly for a Starbucks...I'd have to settle for Caribou on DL.

The flight to CVG was short on a 757, with no food whatsoever (50 min.). One interesting/strange thing was that a uniformed maintenance employee (work boots, work shirt, baseball cap, etc.) was seated in 1C on this flight. I know DL has very strict policies for dress for employees, so I thought his appearance was a little out of place. No sweat, though.

Once in CVG, I went to the CRC to try to hop on a CVG-SAN n/s, instead of connecting in PHX. The agent said no problem (I had to buy a PHX-SAN flight for $83 on DL), and she stapled my CVG-PHX and PHX-SAN coupons together and gave me a f/c boarding pass for DL 343 to SAN. Awesome!

DL343 15DEC CVG-SAN

This flight was aboard the 737-800, which is one of the more comfortable planes in DL's fleet, IMHO. I was in 2A, and had ample room (I'm 6'4"). Shortly after take-off, drinks were served, and we were offered a choice of cereal with fruit, french toast stuffed with cream cheese?, and scrambled eggs. I chose the cereal, and was pleased with everything except the amount of fruit. Hot cinnamon rolls, croissants, and bagels were also offered (though only once around). I nodded off for a while, then, just before we landed, cheese and crackers were served, with some dried fruit. No printed menus, but on the whole, a very nice meal service. I believe every transcon flight should have two services, even if just a snack.

We landed thirty minutes early, and I was very happy to have gotten home without going back through PHX. I'm really tired.

BTW, (and I'll post this elsewhere) I am starting business school at Columbia in January, so I will be changing my handle (or re-registering as a "junior member") to appropriately reflect my transcontinental move. Safe and happy travels to all during the holidays!
Old Dec 15, 1999, 11:07 pm

Great report, thanks...

The French Toast on DL is 'stuffed' with a fruit/cream filling. On one of my flights this year, I had it and it was blueberry and cream filling.

I've gotten to the point that I just order cereal/fruit anymore. The hot choices are not very appealing for breakfast. The best part is the warm roll/bagel/pastry basket, and you get that with any choice.

Best of luck on your upcoming 'life change' and move to the East!

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 12-15-1999).]
Old Dec 16, 1999, 2:15 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you for your (always) very informativ reports - and all the best for your new studying challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.