Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: EWR-IAD-TPA

Old Dec 6, 99, 1:51 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

The Cat flies out to see his buddy MileCrazy and his special lady, SHania/Eileen!

03 Dec: After having an argument with my catsitter (who complained I'm traveling too much and I responded "No, I have a life!") make it later than usual to EWR. In my rush I looked for the EWR-IAD flight and see CANCELLED!!! Preventing a coronary I run to the RCC and the nice check-in person takes my card and e-ticket piece of paper. I open with "I think I need to be rebooked because the IAD flight is cancelled."

Well seh goes into the computer and says "OH NO, The planes here and on time. Are you sure you are looking at the right screen?"

I walk over to the screen and look at IAD and see in big black letters ARRIVALS!!! She checks me in and says "it happens when you rush." I get the sad news I'm on standby for upgrade IAD-TPA. I tell the agent I think it's time for a beer now.

After teh quick Sams go to the gate.

UA 7537 (EWR-IAD Plane is one of those little props with seats too close and no air conditioning until halfway through the flight. There is NO drink service so I passed out from the heat and woke up at IAD. Otherwise uneventual flight.

Go through the people mover to terminal D where I meet Tgrove. We go to the closer RCC Club to see if Kokonutz showed up there. I check on my upgrade (STILL ON WAITLIST!!!) and the woman says "Well Mr. Blanchard congratulations on making PremEx and on your 10 years with U-A." She remembered me from past trips because of the Harrod's cat bag.

Well, no KoKonutz so we go to the RCC close to my connection gate. Tom is a very great guy, has great stories to tell of his travel adventures and I hope YOU come to other F-T get togethers soon!

KoKonutz walks in and we spend about a half hour swapping stories on the great U-A and upgrades and stuff. I invite KOKONUTZ to NYC and say "well with you and PremEx there I will have the party to end all parties!"

Tom has to leave for home. Then Matt walks me close to the gate and we say so longs.

UA 1411 (IAD-TPA Boarding has started. I go to the desk, ask if there's a chance at upgrading and the soemwhat sour blonde lady says "Well I guess you are not getting an upgrade today so I would board now" (like one of those gradeschool teachers who bugged us!)

So off to cramped coach. I'm against the window and in front of me this big wall that seems like it's closing in. Two guys next to me who spend the whole trip reading and sleeping.

I get up to casually check the list for who's in first while making my way to the rest room. THis F-A I will call Miss SUnshine (who chimed to everyone who listened that it was her MONDAY) walks up and says "The coach rest room is in the back of the plane and you are in coach." And I noted "This is closer and there are four people ahead of me from the back of the plane." She did not notice that I checked the list: One million miler, several revs and six one 1k's. The two guys next to me were 1ks (and I gues snot happy about being in coach.)

And I still used the FIRST CLASS REST ROOM so nah.

The snack was a ham and cheese sandwich (edible) M&M's (gave to MileCrazy) and cole slaw (passed.) I ordered a Beck's paid with a five (which Miss Sunshine snatched out my hand) and went to sleep for the rest of the flight. I woke up with a very stiff neck.

Thus my upgrade rate dropped to 92 percent.

After deplaning in the nice TPA airport and some searching found the area for the courtesy van to Hyatt regency downtown.

Old Dec 6, 99, 2:19 pm
dg1

How many days where you gone that you used a catsitter? Just curious. My cats seem to be able to fend for themselves (indoor cats) for about a weekend. Any more than that they need some one to check on them.
Old Dec 6, 99, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She did not notice that I checked the list: One million miler, several revs and six one 1k's.
Catman, I am curious. How was the Million Miler indicated on the manifest? I have been told the MM status does not show up on the manifest (just 1K, PE, P, MP) and have never seen anything other than 1K next to my name.
Old Dec 6, 99, 2:35 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Well, thanks to PremEx, I saw an M so it was probalby an inital.

As he points out, Million MIlers are also posted as 1k...

But I only had five secs before Miss SUnshine interrupted me. It was fun though.
Old Dec 7, 99, 8:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Catman, sorry you didn't get to sit up front...but as Tgrove and I warned you, trying to upgrade ANY afternoon flight out of IAD as a "mere" Premex is nearly impossible, with the chances diminishing even more on a friday afternoon

But it was fun seeing you!
Old Dec 7, 99, 12:11 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Thank you Kokonutz (and tgrove too.) I should always listen to my Flyertalk brothers. Upon reflextion, I should congratulate myself for NOT causing a hissy fit (I found the pieces of paper I wrote this trip repoort on and noted: Man in suit slams his garment bag in the overhead, shoves his laptop under the seat and flops down. Somewhat incorrherant mumblings. Probably a non-upgarded premex!

And fly out of any airport BUT IAD (Unless there's a double mile promotion!!)

Old Dec 7, 99, 12:15 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Omni for Dg and anyone else interested...

Here's another piece of trivia or two about CATMAN.

Catman has a neighbor named Aggie/Agnes who is my official catsitter. She watches her soap operas and Judge Judy because I have a stereo 27 inch T-V and she has a small one.
She LOVES Yaz and tolerates Eddie (she can't understand his bites are love nips.) I pay her in cash and groceries.

I need a catsitter because Yaz especially gets very angry when "Daddy" goes away and Aggie makes sure the cats don't destroy my apartmnet (Yaz likes to chew on things... He chewed the cable cord on the box to a 75 dollar repair bill!)

Well, When I adopted Yaz and Cleo (now in Kitty Heaven... I can hear Punki crying now) that I had to tell her I got cats. She did not like cats for the first 72 years of her life. She cried when I told her I had the cats. She said how could I do that to myself. I said "Well I just broke up with (name withheld) my girlfriend and the cats will keep me occupied."

But when I went to Australia, she took over and catsat for me. And has almost everytime since.

Yes, this was a babbling post but I hope someone enjoyed it. At least you should dg.

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 12-07-1999).]
Old Dec 7, 99, 9:10 pm
dg1

OMNI re cats, So if you don't care scroll on down

I have three cats. My wife has a friend who comes by when we leave for more than a weekend. She tells us that the first two or three times she shows up the cats trot to the door to meet her. After that they refuse to come out for her. Once she got so worried since she found no cats she brought a friend to search for them. They were all under the bed.

Of course, when we come home they always come running up. Apparently they know the sound of my truck and my wife's car. Weird. It also seems that our oldest cat stops eating when we leave and our middle cat eats too much. I'd love to go to Australia myself but I'm having doubts I can leave these big babies for that long

Lucky for me the only thing my cats down is run real fast when we're gone and knock thing things over. They don't tear up the apartment or anything. Guess I'm lucky.

Old Dec 8, 99, 5:42 am

I have a dog and when I travel with my fiancee, my dog goes over to a good friend's house that lives a few blocks away. Luckily the friend is a dog-lover and is always happy to take my dog. When I travel on a business trip and my fiancee is at home, she'll take care of the dog.

Dogs are harder because you can't just leave them for more than several hours.

Flyer

Search this Thread