Search

YYC-YEG-YYC-YYZ-YOW-YYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 1999, 7:02 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
YYC-YEG-YYC-YYZ-YOW-YYC

Well I didn't post a PiP trip report since everyone else did so well and captured the essence of the party.

This is the mundane transcontinental run for more meetings!

Left Calgary on time to get to Edmonton to come back through Calgary on the way to Toronto and Ottawa, strictly to get advantage of a Saturday night stayover. AC146 leaves Edmonton just before midnight on Saturday night but comes through Calgary, leaving Calgary just after midnight (Sunday morning). For reasons only known to ticketing, you can fly to Edmonton and back through Calgary to Toronto for the same fare as a direct fare Calgary-Toronto if you stay over a Saturday night. The problem for the direct Calgary-Toronto flight is that it leaves Sunday morning, thus no Saturday night stay, and the fare goes from $400 to $2500! You can actually phone AC and tell them that you will be missing the Calgary-Edmonton flight and will be picking up the plane in Calgary after midnight and they will let you do that (for the $400 fare!). Confusing -- yes, but we work it to our advantage--more points, cheaper fare and all flights upgraded anyway.

I check out the Maple Leaf Lounge in Edmonton and one of the computers is still not working for internet connection (it has been over two months now!). The other works fine, check out Flyertalk, have some beer and yogurt from the fridge (great Combination huh!).

Get on AC146 back to Calgary where I go to find my friend who is travelling on a free companion ticket (since he was not earning points, he decided to go with his wife to a party and then join me on the flight after midnight). They had upgraded him no problem with my AC Super Elite certificate, even though this was a non-upgradeable companion ticket! (AC did tell me it was not upgradeable in advance but that they would likely upgrade it no problem at the gate). There was lots of free space in Executive Class and we had the usual good cold meal (spicy barbequed turkey salad with a guacamole stuffed tomato). Good wine, liquers and I zonked out for the rest of the flight to Toronto.

Went to lounge in Toronto and got my friend his next upgrade (wouldn't upgrade him all the way through in Calgary--but no extra certificate needed) to Ottawa. Was served a nice hot mushroom omelette breakfast with fresh fruit, fresh rolls, strong coffee and orange juice(remember U.S.A. folks this is only a 1 hour Shuttle type flight!). Meal was Ok but not as good as the breakfast on the return flight from Ottawa direct to Calgary on Tuesday. Had a great flight attendant who put a smile on our faces in the morning *Julie Barnes* and gave her an excellence certificate which she said made her day!

Stayed at the Best Western Executive Suites for $90 CAD a night (including breakfast)--actually a nice quiet place but still within walking distance to downtown, with a fridge and microwave.

Returned to Calgary on Tuesday morning (changed flights to morning from evening, no charge, upgraded no problem). The flight was virtually empty in business class and economy class. Had a great breakfast with real fruit slices that hadn't been hanging around the kitchen for two days, fresh delicious giant pretzels and a Portobello mushroom omelette. Other choice was a maple glazed waffle that I do not recommend unless you have a super sweet tooth.

Arrived on time in Calgary and immediately got in the car to drive to Lethbridge to teach a course at University. Arrived home in Calgary at 10 PM and zonked out.

Other than faulty computer in Edmonton lounge, AC gets a two thumbs up for service on this go round.

Off to Africa this weekend via Paris--Executive First service from Montreal. Will be my first experience in Executive First since the new menus appeared. Will try to remember to save them for Carfield if he is interested (please e-mail me your address)!
Old Nov 17, 1999, 7:34 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A delight, as always BB. Have a great African trip as well. Thanks very much.
Old Nov 17, 1999, 11:04 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Footnote: My friend (non elite of any sort) flew home the evening before me. I gave him an upgrade certificate to use but since it was a non-upgradeable companion ticket and I wasn't travelling with him, I thought he would have next to zero chance (but I thought it was worth a try!). He explained to the agent that I was unable to travel with him and that I was Super Elite.

Wonder of wonders, he got upgraded at the gate! Just another reason I value AC and the way they treat their elite flyers!
Old Nov 17, 1999, 2:49 pm

Thanks for the trip report. I am a big fan of Air Canada and like to read about its service... especially food. I have already emailed you my address... I appreciate that you offer keeping the menus for me. I love ExecutiveFirst and really want to know what the new menus look like...

Happy Flying,
Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.