Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

YUL-ZRH-TXL in LX J and F

Old Aug 15, 16, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Since LX started receiving their new 777 featuring new F and J cabins my friend and I wanted an occasion to try it. This spring, when LX had fares reduction to many cities in europe in J, we decided to book a ticket in J and upgrade the return to F using M&M points which allows you to upgrade to F even when buying a P fare.

Destination selected was Berlin, been there a couple of times already, love the city, relatively cheap by european standards, and most of all great beers!

LX87 - YUL-ZRH

Starting at the International Maple Leaf Lounge at YUL for a quick drink before the flight (actually third drink after a few beers at Archibald Micro-Brasserie)

Flight departed about 60mins late due to late incoming aircraft, but no rush since we had a 2 hours connection in ZRH

Seating in 5D which features the new business class seats

We were quickly served a pre departure drink, opted for the champagne, which is Duval Leroy Brut

We managed to grab 2 seats in the front little cabin, the 3 seats on the right being left empty due to malfunction of seats

The Menu for tonight flight

And the Wine List

I went for the Salmon while my friend opted for the beef, both were really good, and cooked great, salmon not overcooked neither was the beef

Had a few more glasses of champagne since this goes with almost anything, but finished with the Blanc Neuchatel with the cheeses which was good and always nice to try some swiss wines!

And to my surprise, one of my childhood favorite dessert, Nanaimo bars, this is something I never expected to get as dessert on a plane! (Was too quick and ate the cherry before the picture )

Overall great flight, we managed to catch up some of the time lost at departure and arrived 35minutes late in ZRH, that was a bit of a problem for those with 45mins connection, but as mentionned on the plane, they were all rebooked for later flights.

Only pet peeve of the new seat is the placement of the seat adjustment buttons, which happens to be exactly where my elbow were falling sometimes moving the seat unintentionnaly

After landing, waited for our flight to TXL at the Business Class Lounge Terminal A

No pictures of both Euro J flights, forgot about them and they were un-eventful!
Old Aug 15, 16, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Berlin - Radisson Blu Hotel

After arriving in Berlin, it was too early for checkin at the hotel, so we took the bus from the airport and stopped at our favorite watering hole in Berlin, the Zwiebelfisch on Savigny Platz, we discovered this bar the first time in Berlin and since then, we have to stop every time for a Schultheiss

We wanted to stay in the Mitte District of Berlin, so while browsing for hotels, found a sale on Expedia for the Radisson Blu, which I applied to a Best Price Guarantee on the Radisson Website and got approved, 77eur a night which was even below the "famous" friends and family rate that can be a hit or miss at european locations.

Hotel was fully booked during the weekend so no upgrade to a better room due to Gold Elite status, but got a room with a nice view of the Berliner Dom on the upper floors (5 out of 6) and welcome gift of apple and sparkling organic lemonade

The famous lobby aquarium over the bar

Great stay in Berlin, tried lots of nice restaurants and bars, including this one called Birra which serves 19 Italian Craft Beers on Tap

Last edited by WestAust; Aug 15, 16 at 9:06 am
Old Aug 15, 16, 8:58 am
Original Poster

We wanted to try the new E terminal First Class Lounge in ZRH so took the earliest flight out of Berlin at 6:50am

Time for a quick breakfast at the Senator Lounge in TXL

Again no picture of the TXL-ZRH flight

Landed in ZRH about 15mins late but we had 4 hours of connection so no worries and still plenty of time for some shopping and enjoying the lounge!

We went first to the A terminal lounge where the lady at the counter told us about the new E lounge, and told us some still prefered the "old" lounge food options (buffet style vs. restaurant only in the new lounge) and they drove us to the E lounge, unfortunatly no S-Class ride, we got the Mercedes Van for the 2 of us!

The E terminal Swiss First Class Lounge

Glass of Piper-Heidsieck Rosé Sauvage to start with

We then followed with some Deutz Rosé which was the other Rosé Champagne offered, both are great tasting, with a slight preference for the Piper.

We then proceeded to the Restaurant part of the lounge for a meal

Menu has everything for every taste!
Classics

Breakfast (sorry for the blurry image)

Starters Cold and Warm

Mains

Dessert

Not wanting to be too full ahead of the flight, I went for the Beef Tartare and my friend the Club Sandwich

Restroom with a view!

And the terrasse, No fondue at this time of the year though! Some nice attentions like binoculars located at 2-3 areas on the terrasse to do some spotting!

Last edited by WestAust; Aug 15, 16 at 9:31 am
Old Aug 15, 16, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Finally LX86 ZRH-YUL in F

Boarding was quick and efficient even though the plane was full on that day.

Got seat 2G in a full F class cabin

Divider Up during the flight

The storage area for jackets and clothes which also serves as the door to close the Suite of the aisle.

Cabin during flight

Had a Pre-departure drink of the lovely Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle, which is pictured here with the amuse bouche served later, this is a cheese cake and beef tartare

The menu and wine list for today's flight, there was also another main course not listed on the menu of Rösti and Jura Sausages

Let's start with the first course, Balik Salmon, Lobster medaillon and Jura meats

Followed by the Vichyssoise Soup and Duck Crostini, with a glass of Viognier Les Guillembergs

And then the Saddle of Rabbit, great meal, the rabbit was tender and really flavourful. The FA recommended the Chateau d'Auvernier Pinot Noir to go with the main course, usually not a fan of Pinot but this was a great pairing! Also, the FA brought two bottles of the wine, one that was opened on the previous flight but offered me to open a new bottle if I wanted.

And lastly the cheese selection, which I paired with 2 glasses of the Sauterne! If it wasn't for the fact that I had to drive upon landing, might have gone for a few mores!

The new 777 are equiped with inflight wifi, in F you get a voucher for 50mb of free data, a value of 19CHF if you were to buy it. Not that fast, not a lot of data, but enough to send a message to the wife saying i'm on my way!

Great service from all the team, since this was a flight to YUL, all the cabin crew were speaking french as well as german, english and one of them Italian, fairly young crew also, and all very eager to serve you.

Hope you like this review!

Last edited by WestAust; Aug 15, 16 at 1:26 pm
Old Aug 15, 16, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Great report! One question: how many miles for an upgrade?
Old Aug 15, 16, 10:50 am

Great review. FINALLY it is nice that LX has WiFi....
Old Aug 15, 16, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oneworld82 View Post
Great report! One question: how many miles for an upgrade?
it's 50k from J to F, if it's from P class like it was in our case, it's 70k one way.
Old Aug 15, 16, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WestAust View Post
it's 50k from J to F, if it's from P class like it was in our case, it's 70k one way.
Seems like a whole lot of miles, but I am glad you did it so we can read about it!
Old Aug 15, 16, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
LX F is on my bucketlist
Old Aug 15, 16, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Shanqx View Post
LX F is on my bucketlist
Good product, but far from the top F experiences out there.
Old Aug 15, 16, 7:54 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shanqx View Post
LX F is on my bucketlist
Mine too!

Thanks for sharing WestAust. It's always nice to get a look into LX F ^
Old Aug 16, 16, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks WestAust for taking the time to post & share. The seat and food certainly looks great
Old Aug 16, 16, 9:15 am

Nice TR of a really nice looking product.

Hope they keep the 777 on that route as I want to give J a go.
Old Aug 16, 16, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Very nice indeed. i love the lounge in Zurich and LX is a very good airline.
Old Aug 18, 16, 10:18 am

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Enjoyed reading your TR. I flew LX to ZRH for the first time earlier this year and enjoyed it very much; your TR brings back memories!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: