Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

jetBlue Mint Suite JFK-LAX... A great inflight experience! On the ground? Not so much

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jetBlue Mint Suite JFK-LAX... A great inflight experience! On the ground? Not so much

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Kill me, but I love it^
lmao. Me to.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:35 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
My gawd that dog photo is sadistically funny. ^^
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
My gawd that dog photo is sadistically funny. ^^
It really is... whether it's right or not, I can't help but think awwwww

That being said, I can't imagine what I'd think if that was happening live next to me.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:40 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
@ SFO777

What's really obnoxious is the rampant abuse of a program that presumably has merit occasionally. There are dogs and cats on every flight now.
What's next? Emotional support pigs? Chickens? Oh wait, that's already happened.

BTW, it wasn't the only "emotional support" doggie on the flight.

But my fave was this one on an AA flight.

If you have such an issue with the "rampant abuse" why don't you write to the local government and express your thoughts? See if they do something to change the system. Secondly, instead of hiding behind a camera and secretly taking a picture of people with the intention to mock them, why not actually approach the person and tell them you are dissatisfied with their actions? See how far that gets you.

With regards to the person in the photo, you posted; you do not know their situation. Maybe the person has some form of a mental health condition and the dog can remedy that. Just because mental health is not always physically visible does not mean it is not there.

That said, I do agree that the people who abuse the system should not be allowed to get away with it, partially when their actions clearly demonstrate such.

In summary, maybe the person in this situation was abusing the program, maybe he wasn't. Either way, it is not for you to pass judgment and mock in a public forum. Next time you go to take a picture with the intention to mock, ask yourself if just maybe, that person really does need that animal and it does help. Mental health may not be visible, but it is certainly something a lot of people suffer with and have to deal with. Hopefully next time you won't be so immature.
OH please...no one has to read this, SFO is simply expressing his opinion, which he is entitled to do, without this sort of vitriol. You seem quite happy to pass judgement on him, but seem to think he cannot pass judgement on others.
By the way, it seems he has a lot of support, to which i add mine !
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by airplanegod
This is literally the first trip report I have read on any website where I have to ask the OP, who do you think you are? My God just buy a private jet already so you can end your "suffering"...
If you care to take time on this website you can find out who SFO777 is, and if you dont like it, dont read it, one mans personal opinion that many appreciate the time and effort he makes sharing that opinion to help many of us make informed choices. And yes he has done private many times, albeit not his own. and, finally who are you ?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:00 am

Interesting turns this one has taken.....

On a different note, while I am not personally a fan of wines in the style made by Pax Mahle and Turley, I think they are great choices for in flight wines and kudos to jetBlue for putting some real thought into what they are serving.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, wondering who SFO777 might be is at least good for a laugh or two since our original poster is actually something of a celebrity in our little world here . . . and (sans his nom de guerre) even in the more real world of the WSJ to boot.

I'm personally just grateful for the effort that goes in to these wonderful reports -- entertainment and information for us all, gratis.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:14 pm

I support SFO777's observations and people get so offended these days like this is tumblr.

#Make America Great Again
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by spark787
I support SFO777's observations and people get so offended these days like this is tumblr.

#Make America Great Again
That's not how you use hashtags...
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
OH please...no one has to read this, SFO is simply expressing his opinion, which he is entitled to do, without this sort of vitriol. You seem quite happy to pass judgement on him, but seem to think he cannot pass judgement on others.
By the way, it seems he has a lot of support, to which i add mine !
People who believe that they have a constitutional right to not have their feelings hurt is exactly what is wrong with society.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:20 pm

Thanks for another interesting TR.

Originally Posted by DetailsIM

Looks like the ESA is doing his job
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:22 pm
Suspended

@ Irpworks, BRITINJAPAN3

Just to clarify my point - I actually agree with the view that it is wrong for people to take the piss and abuse the system (with stating their dog are service aminals) and bringing them on a plane if that is not the case. In the UK, if you want to get a disabled badge for your vehicle, certain documentation needs to be provided to local council (government). From my understanding, certain checks are carried out before a badge is issued. It would appear that is not the case here in the US when issuing certificates that make your pet a service animal. This is why I said initially, to write to your local government because the more people write in and complain, maybe they will do something to regulate it. Maybe not. Who knows.

That said, my issue is assuming and judging that every single person on a plane who has an aminal is taking the piss. I don't think it is OK to take pics of people, without their consent, with the view to mock in a public forum, particularly when there is a likely hood the issue is a mental health issue one. There is a difference between expressing an opinion, and mocking someone is two very different things.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
@ Irpworks, BRITINJAPAN3

Just to clarify my point - I actually agree with the view that it is wrong for people to take the piss and abuse the system (with stating their dog are service aminals) and bringing them on a plane if that is not the case. In the UK, if you want to get a disabled badge for your vehicle, certain documentation needs to be provided to local council (government). From my understanding, certain checks are carried out before a badge is issued. It would appear that is not the case here in the US when issuing certificates that make your pet a service animal. This is why I said initially, to write to your local government because the more people write in and complain, maybe they will do something to regulate it. Maybe not. Who knows.

That said, my issue is assuming and judging that every single person on a plane who has an aminal is taking the piss. I don't think it is OK to take pics of people, without their consent, with the view to mock in a public forum, particularly when there is a likely hood the issue is a mental health issue one. There is a difference between expressing an opinion, and mocking someone is two very different things.
An emotional support animal is not a service animal. They are completely different in terms of both training and certification.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
An emotional support animal is not a service animal. They are completely different in terms of both training and certification.
Exactly.

@SgtRyan -

Under the ADA(Americans with Disabilities Act) , a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability.

This may include visual assistance & hearing assistance dogs, seizure trained animals and animals for people with PTSD etc. I don't think anyone is questioning those animals. They are working animals and there for a reason.

There are websites where you can fill out a "form" pay a fee and have your dog/cat/snake/goat/turkey/parakeet "registered as an emotional support/comfort animal. But these animals have no training and in many many cases it is a dodge on the apart of their owner to get out of paying a pet fee and allow them to bring their pet on board without it having to be in a carrier or have it in cargo.

There are chat boards with people discussing how to get around the rules and regs. IMO - they are cheats, I put them in the same category as people who don't have a handicap parking sticker but park in one anyway.

And in the US and Canada - there is a similar proceedure for getting a handicap parking sticker/license plate. Doctor fills out form, patient takes it into appropriate office for the sticker/license plate.

SFO777 - sorry to hijack your TR.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:44 pm

As always - wonderful TR. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.