Wiki Posts
Search

My first Trip Report: SNA/SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 1999, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
My first Trip Report: SNA/SFO

Ok, here's my first attempt at a trip report, go easy on me...

I picked up the UA e-fare last Wednesday for a quick weekend visiting my girlfriend and her folks. The schedule worked out pretty well, going up Saturday morning and be back on Monday morning in time for work.

Got to SNA long term parking at 7:10am for the 7:48am UA 144 flight, and reached the terminal at 7:25am. There was a long line at the SINGLE security gate operating, and I'm starting to sweat a little. I get in line at gate 4 just in time to hear a gate agent announce that one of the flight attendants have not shown up and they do not have the minimum crew to begin boarding. Also, she announced that there are ATC delays in SFO due to low clouds and we'll likely leave around 9am. However, there is another flight using the gate shortly, so as soon as the FA arrives we will board and push to a waiting area. I check in, get my boarding pass, and wondered what to do in the meantime.

Decided to visit the RCC I've read so much about on FlyerTalk. The lady thought I was a member and said she'll notify me when my flight begins boarding. Being way too honest, I tell her I'm contemplating membership in RCC. She explains the program, gives me a quick rundown of the place, and I thanked her before leaving. I think I'm sold.

The flight boards at 8:10am, when another FA volunteered to staff the plane. I take my seat at 10A in the cabin sans EconomyPlus or new interior and watched as an FA for the next flight to Denver boards by mistake, and our missing FA shows up from her delayed flight. There was much confusion, but the plane finally pushes to the parking area, and the captain announces our expected wheels-up time. I smile because I already heard their conversation on channel 9, and heard the purser informing the other FAs. In the meantime, he invites us to use our cell phones, laptops, or walk around if we like, but to return 10 minutes to 9, when he relights the seatbelt sign. The FAs hand out headset cords and play a "brief video entertainment" during the wait. I like this new candid approach to delays discussed on the UA section, it feels good to be informed.

Engine start was at 8:50am as promised, and we begin taxi as I hear "Crash two" calling on John Wayne ground. There's an American West 737-300 landing with some type of problem, and other crash units and fire engines soon follow to meet the aircraft at the end of the runway. They elect to follow the aircraft to its gate (gate 7 I think) with lights flashing. Fortunately there was nothing more to the incident, and the units return after the aircraft arrives at its gate.

The flight itself was uneventful. Got my full can of Coke as usual, but there was no snacks served. We climbed to FL390, which was the highest in my recent memory, for such a short flight. Traffic enroute was relatively light, and we arrive at SFO just after 10am.

In all, it was a pleasant experience despite the delay. We were well informed, and the captain continued to apologize for the delay even during our approach to SFO. The cockpit crew is based in Washington DC, and the cabin crew is based in Chicago, if that means anything.

So, how did I do?
Old Aug 29, 1999, 5:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Great report -- glad to see that America West incident turned out OK.
Old Aug 29, 1999, 11:34 am
Commander Catcop

You did fine, that's exactly what should be in a trip report. And added points for being HONEST about not being an Red carpet Club. Remember Honesty is the best policy.

I would go back in read some of the threads about Flyertalkers being sold on R-C-C. It's worth the investment if only to have a quiet area to prepare for flyign.

Welcome aboard.
Old Aug 30, 1999, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely add the return trip tomorrow morning!

I've been given the GREEN light for RCC by the girlfriend! I will either sign up tomorrow morning after arrival, or next Thursday, depending on how fast they activate membership. No point wasting 4 days if it activates immediately.

As for being honest, I've been criticized for being TOO honest. One other time, flying on an award ticket on AA, I checked in late and was the last one to board, without even handed a boarding pass. The gate agent yelled something to the FA about me being in business class (maybe that's why they waited for me), but I just walked right past the business section and took my assigned seat. Its just not me to take advantage that way...
Old Aug 30, 1999, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Part 2: SFO - SNA 8/30 UA 1033 06:15

Got up at ol'dark-thirty and got to SFO at 05:30. Security was a breeze. The monitor shows my flight at gate 89 (gack!) and on-time. Fast walk to the gate with the help of people movers and found relatively few people for a 757. Gate 89 had 3 agents to choose from, and I contemplated a request for upgrade - I chickened out, since I haven't received the book of certs yet. I did manage to change seats from 16A to 13F, to avoid the rising sun.

05:45 they begin to preboard. I was the 4th to board, and the 2nd in economy. Boarding went smoothly and slowly. Door closed 2 minutes before scheduled. I donned my noise-reduction headset and relax. The FA announces that we can hear air traffic communications on channel 9, so I hook up my headset - and got Ricky Martin instead. Taxi took the length of Mr. Martin's song, and we were airborne to the Backstreet Boys.

No matter how many times I do this, I'll never get tired of the predawn flights. The colors of the sky was simply MAJESTIC over downtown SF and the Golden Gate bridge.

Inflight service was normal for UA. Took a little longer for the service to begin, but I got my full-can of Coke, so I was happy. Curiously, once again, there was no snack. I wonder if this is a new UA policy, not to provide snacks for short flights? I had a granola bar, so it didn't matter to me. The captain says we'll be arriving a few minutes early, but I wondered to myself if we'll have a gate. The entire SoCal region was blanketed with a marine layer, and we had an extended downwind, persumably to set up for an ILS approach. Cloud deck was thin and we broke through almost as quickly as we entered it. A little hard on the landing, 07:25, and we taxied straight to the cargo ramp. I was right, the first officer announced the gate was occupied. We finally rolled in and the door opened at 07:55.

I strolled up to the RCC once again and asked if membership activation was immediate. The lady says yes, so I decided to sign up on Thursday when I take my next trip. No use wasting 4 days on the membership, right?
Old Aug 30, 1999, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Thursday AM at the RCC you will probably have Diane, Marti, or Claudia. All three are really, really nice.

Indurain, I will be there (SNA RCC) this Thursday AM at 9:00 or so.

email me at [email protected] if you will be around at that time and we can meet.

[This message has been edited by auh2o (edited 08-30-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.