Wiki Posts
Search

New York and Chicago adventure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 1999, 11:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

New York and Chicago adventure

My friend Steve and I had a business meeting in Chicago (him working, me schmoozing), so we decided to spend the weekend in NY to make the ticket $630 with the Saturday night stay instead of $1800 each. We divided the research into flights for me (I am a UA 1K) and hotel for him (he is a Starwood Plutonium).

I decided to route us through IAD on the SEA-NYC leg both to get double miles and to take the 777, which is quickly becoming my favorite airplane by far. We lucked out and got one with the best business-class seats: personal video (9 channels!), massage, footrest, reclining that puts all other domestic C class to shame... The flight was marred by a couple of problems. First, for some reason there was a HUGE line in Seattle at the checkin counter on Saturday morning. It wasn't a problem for me, since I was in the 1K line, but they delayed the plane by about 20 minutes while they waited for all the other customers to clear the line. This goes directly against their new "going...going...gone" policy, so I wonder what's going on.

Once airborne, the only problem was that the laptop power and apparently half the video monitors were inoperative. It wasn't a severe problem for us but it kind of makes me wonder about what else might be wrong with the plane...

The connection in Dulles went smoothly and we took a 737 to LGA, upgraded to "first class." No food, no nuts, lackluster service. Boy do I avoid 737's, especially the Shuttles (which this wasn't). But upon arrival at La Guardia, our bags came off in record time and we arrived at our hotel 30 minutes after touchdown! This is unheard of and was a welcome surprise, since I wanted to meet a friend for drinks before she took off on her flight leaving that evening.

After due consultation with fellow FlyerTalkers, we chose the Westin Central Park South as the Starwood property du jour with a $199 rate. Our cabbie dropped us off across the street from the hotel for some reason, but rather thn argue with him while the meter ran, we just wheeled our bags across Central Park South and into the hotel, a former Ritz-Carlton. It's a small, older skyscraper with a weird entry with lots of stairs. Once inside, a very nice clerk upgraded us (thanks to Steve's Plutonium status) to a penthouse suite!

The upgrade, from a $199/night furnace-view room to this amazing suite, was marred only by the fact that it doesn't look out onto the park and the further fact that I had to sleep in a rollaway cot because there otherwise was only one bed in this suite.

To get credit for another "stay" and also to check it out, we moved for the second night down the block to the other Westin property on the park, the Essex House, which Starwood acquired only a few months ago. You may remember the Essex House, "a breath of fresh air on New York's Central Park," as the place where guests of NBC's Saturday Night Live stayed. We spoke to the clerk there and he found a junior suite with two beds to upgrade us into (Plutonium again) for the same $199 rate. Elite is where it's at baby.

I liked the Essex House much better than the Westin Central Park South and will definitely be returning.

We got up early Monday morning to head for Chicago. Unfortunately, the weather had other plans. I went even crazier and booked us through IAD again to go from NYC-ORD. Weather problems were everywhere though and we ended up getting into ORD 90 minutes late. Steve went directly to his meeting and I checked into the Sheraton with his Plutonium card and credit card pretending I was him. Man, is the Sheraton Chicago nice. Marble and waterfalls everywhere, and as soon as they saw that Plutonium card they didn't even let me check in while standing up... they sent me up to the 33rd floor where I sat down at a glass table to check in with the special concierge. I told her I felt like I was taking out a home mortgage.

Since we REALLY wanted two beds this time, we didn't get a suite, but we had a fabulous view. In fact, looking around, it's almost impossible NOT to have a fabulous view in this hotel. Five stars.

I concluded my business in Chicago (including some excellent steak and schmoozing at Smith and Wollensky's) and I left Steve there and took the 747 back to Seattle.

This flight was a circus. There was a huge line at the 1K/PremEx checkin at ORD (why no separate 1K line?). When I finally checked in, I asked for a seat upstairs but the clerk had apparently never heard of a 747 and thought I was joking. I finally got seat 5G, the upstairs bulkhead aisle. I went to the Red Carpet Club which was very crowded and dialed up the Internet. The flight was delayed an hour for mechanical reasons. When I got on board, they told us the upstairs lavatories were not working, so we would have to go downstairs. Fine, no problem. Then they told us they were re-seating all of us because the captain had told them no one could be upstairs with the inoperative lavatories. Fine. They moved me to 11C, next to two 8-year-olds. Then as soon as I settled in, they said we could go back upstairs. Sigh. So I did.

The rest of the flight was fairly uneventful. I missed the mixed nuts that they deny business-class passengers in domestic, but I'm glad I didn't eat the ice cream and cookies they were serving in First. The ribs were great, but my seatmate had the gumbo and didn't care for it.

Upon arrival in Seattle, my "priority" bags were nowhere near first off as usual, but my friend Andrew was there to pick me up so all was well. All in all a very enjoyable trip.

QL
Old Jun 24, 1999, 12:43 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you
Old Jun 24, 1999, 8:04 am
Original Member

Good reports Quietlion. Thanks. I have not flown on a 777 yet, urg!
Old Jun 24, 1999, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
For New York weekends, I am a big fan of the Millenium Hilton in New York, right across from the World Trade center. They often have very low bounceback rates ($130), always upgrade me to a suite (diamond), and everything from Starbucks to a new Krispy Kreme (the definition of temptation) is within 100 yards. Subway is at the front door, Borders accross the street, and Windows on the World is right there, too.

And anyone who hasnt been to Century 21 in NYC (right across the street) has missed one of mankinds most extraordinary discount shopping experiences.
Old Jun 24, 1999, 2:03 pm
Commander Catcop

A FOUR PAWS and a big ROAR Report Lion KING!
I'm sorry we could NOT meet but WHEN you get to NYC again we'll make a night of it. Like Smith & Wollenskys, the original is there.

I'm sorry I kind of steered you wrong about teh Westin Central Park South. I like that hotel and generally when I stay there it's for two purposes: TO sleep on a short turnaround from work or to sleep off a night out!

Mr. Lion... did you check out the sofa in your suite? Mine was a sofa bed, great for those surprise guests to crash in.

Will try the Essex House if only for the experience.

Brian: the Millenium Hilton is a good hotel, great location and even better with Krispy Kreame there (I can overhear many a fellow says "Well I'm supposed to be on a diet but what's one or two Krispy Kreames going to do?"

BUT for you and anyone else staying there... make sure the hotel gets your HHONORS and FF #'s. I had to call the last three times I stayed because they never credited me with HHONORS points.

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 24, 1999, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Brian,

I'll second that Millennium Hilton notion. It's a lovely property, and I haven't had a bad view yet. Like you said, they often offer good weekend rates and upgrades are easy to come by. Plus, I love the nice Neutragena toiletries, cotton balls, Q-Tips, etc. etc. etc. they leave.

Samantha
Old Jun 24, 1999, 5:15 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the great report QL.

Haven't visited Century 21 in several years but I remember it as a kind of cross between Bloomingdales and a street vendor! Good stuff/cheap prices!

Downtown is wonderful and relatively quiet at night and on weekends.
Old Jun 24, 1999, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
To those of us with the heart of a bargain hunter, C21 is paradise. All time best deals: Allen Edmonds wingtips- from $279 to $79, Movado Sports Watch from $895 to $299, and a sport jacket from one of the really good Italian guys who's name escapes me from $895 to $119. Et al. The morning routine: Starbucks at 9am, Krispy Kreme at 930, C21 at 10 to, say 1pm.

And being a boy, I try not to pay attention to the toiletries, but I do emerge smelling good, and not like Tide, which is my standard of excellence.
Old Jun 25, 1999, 7:20 am

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
QL#1

It sounds like quite a trip! Thanks for the great report

QL#2

[This message has been edited by QuantumLeap (edited 06-25-1999).]
Old Jun 25, 1999, 1:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

CATMAN: Wow: Four Paws and a Roar! I feel like a matador!

You did not steer me wrong at all! The Westin Central Park South was just as you said, a fine older hotel and they upgraded us to the penthouse suite! I did check the sofa and while the clerk said some of them had beds, this one didn't. But there was a whole separate room for the rollaway. The only problem was that those cots are seldom comfortable. We moved both to try out the other place at the amazing $199 rate and to get an extra "stay" toward Plutonium status.

BRYAN: I'll have to check out Century 21 next trip. I love good stuff cheap.

QuantumLeap: I guess I should stop signing my posts QL, huh?

QuietLion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.