Dangers of ordering a special meal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 1999, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold

On May 31, 1999 I was booked on AA from FRA to JFK and was told at the Admiral’s Club that I would be upgraded at the gate.

When I arrived at the gate, I was just about to be given a business class boarding pass by the Special Services Agent when she was radioed that I had ordered a special meal (as I always do when travelling coach). She said that I would not be given the upgrade as I had to be in coach to get the special meal. I said that I would be more than happy to eat the special meal in business class. She was adamant that I must stay in coach where my meal was. I have been upgraded many times where I’ve ordered a special meal. Several times I’ve been served the coach meal, but usually get a business class meal choice.

What was amazing is that some of the passengers she upgraded were dressed quite sloppily in jeans and t-shirts. I was dressed neatly in khakis and a nice button down shirt as I always do when flying.

To add insult to injury 3 people were called forward after we had boarded and were moved up to business class. We took off with empty seats in both business class and coach.

As a loyal AAdvantage customer for over 15 years (the last 6 Platinum), I do not think that I should have been treated so poorly by a Special Services Agent.

Has anyone else ever run into this kind of situation?
Old Jun 11, 1999, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Never experienced it but I believe the practice of NOT ordering a special meal is one of Rudi's guerrilla tips...

You certainly deserved better treatment!
Old Jun 13, 1999, 8:16 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Rudi posted 11-14-98 07:38 AM

I you have a paid or already confirmed upgraded first-class seat,may be (if seated in the back) your best option is to preorder (24 hours in advance) a special meal.

I you don't have to, don't preorder the special meal as long as you (your upgrade) is only waitlisted - this may (and for last minute-upgrades at check-in or the gate definetly will) reduce your upgrade-chances (the computer will sort you out if he can't provide your special meal anymore).
[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 06-13-1999).]
Old Jun 14, 1999, 2:51 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stopped ordering special meals shortly after I began, since I was twice compelled to eat it, while others in First enjoyed their food while I watched! Never would I expect to have happen to me, however, what they did to you! It's kind of ridiculous to alienate a good patron for such a silly reason!
Old Jun 14, 1999, 5:34 pm
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
ef arturo yu, arturo wuud git on fone an rase hello wif merican. mebe yu git sumthin fore et, mebe knot. butt wat yu got to luse?
Old Jun 14, 1999, 9:02 pm

Perhaps arturo's right. They could FedEx to you that business class meal you missed.

------------------
aloha!
www.hotshirts.com

Old Jun 14, 1999, 9:16 pm
Commander Catcop

Actually wanderlust good buddy... what SHOULD happen is American giving you AA Platnium some kind of compensation.

Frankly and I said it before... why does it have to be an issue of skipping a special meal to get an upgrade. This is very stupid.
It's a simple thing of carryhing the meal from the back of the plane to the front and putting it on nice silverware and plates.
What's the big deal here!

AA: I think you should call AMERICAN customer service and get some type of restitution.

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 15, 1999, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
I was pretty pissed and sent a letter to the CEO Donald Carty. I'm waiting for a reply.
Old Jun 15, 1999, 11:35 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good luck! Surely you'll keep us posted.
Old Jun 17, 1999, 2:55 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Really sorry to hear that. Usually what you shoudl do is write to the airline and complain. However, recent years I have founf that writing to airline to complain is useless and all they do is send you a form letter.
This is only a suggestion, don't know whether it will work, check whether the upgrade folders actually said "no upgrade when ordering a special meals" which I doubt and also if you said that there are empty seats in business class then you should have been upgraded especially if you are a Platinum. Upgrade folders stated that upgrade are based on seat availability and if there are seats, you should be upgraded. Can we call this "misleading information..." ? (Tell them you'll sue them!! *Just kidding* )

Regards,
Empress
Old Jun 22, 1999, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Wow, what a tale! Special meals should have no place in upgrade equation. I have ordered in past for waitlisted flights, but maybe no more. Complain like hell for this inferior treatment of a superior customer. Names help too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.