Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Big Apple + Catman & Other Tales

Old Apr 19, 1999, 3:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

We returned from Manhattan late Friday, 4/16/99 after spending twelve nights there on a truly glorious vacation. One great highlight was arranging to get acquainted with the remarkable Catman. He met us for evening hors d'oeuvres at the Marriott Marquis on 4/5/99; that's one Marriott property (I'm sure there are others) where the evening food in the Concierge Lounge is always superior both in quantity and quality. We had a fun time discussing our several mutual interests and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the future when we again visit New York.

I'm pleased to report that the Diners Club card gets the cardholder and a guest admitted to what in reality is the Northwest Airlines Club at the Newark Airport. My wife and I went there on our way back home; since we're not elite on any airline (and don't fly often enough to justify the actual purchase of a club membership for any airline), it was a new and pleasant experience. This lounge provides free wine, beer and mixed drinks along with fruit and snacks. The bad news is that Newark is the only airport in the USA in which Diners has any sort of lounge access arrangement; I wish they would add more. The good news is that it was most enjoyable.

The flights were all in coach via United and United Express. But they were all on-time or early. And the price was right as they were "purchased" with script my wife received from having consented to being bumped twice on a flight she took last year. And you definitely get miles for these tickets since you, in effect, did purchase them.

In New York we toggled between the East Side Marriott and the Marriott Marquis as the rates dictated our otherwise bizarre behavior. But we got more Marriott bonus points due to our having four "stays" instead of just one (that's the current Marriott promotion where every three stays result in 5,000 bonus points).

The Statue of Liberty, the Staten Island Ferry, the Cloisters, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 47th Street jewelry center (just window shopping), etc, etc. And (count 'em) eight Broadway plays with all tickets being purchased at the TKTS (half-price day of performance) booth. All Broadway productions are special, even if they're flops. But we got to see several of high quality, with the one we enjoyed the most being Cabaret.

Well, that's about it. Am sad to report that we discovered no independent wealth in our absence, so it's back to work for us. We've got our next vacation set up for the future; it's always nice to have something to look forward to.

TravelDave

[This message has been edited by TravelDave (edited 04-19-99).]
Old Apr 19, 1999, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
Excellent trip report !
Old Apr 19, 1999, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Marriott Marquis is nice, but overrated. The place is your basic zoo, especially in the summer. Way too many tourists! Ugh, I hate it. Will not stay there unless desired options unavailable. Much prefer NY Hilton or one of the Sheratons (Towers or Manhattan). Much more amenable to business travellers. They did upgrade me to a suite (HUGE!) last time I stayed there though.
Old Apr 20, 1999, 1:20 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
MileKing: I am a tourist - don't discriminate - please

and TravelDave: I am very pleased to see another posting of you - may be we will meet again in SFO?
Old Apr 20, 1999, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thanks, Traveldave. I am soooooo jealous. 8 SHOWS!!! Wow, lucky you. But let's face it, New York is New York.
Old Apr 21, 1999, 1:56 pm
Commander Catcop

Excellent report Travel Dave and it was a pleasure to finally meet your and your lovely wife Larrie.

I can third the opinion that if you can take advantage of a Marriott Concierge Lounge DO IT! Good selection of foods and drink, an dthat view of TIMES Square.

Yes, the Marquis on Times Sq. is a giant often crowded hotel. But escape to this Lounge if you can. I'm honored that Travel Dave and Larrie would let me join them! THANKS!

OMNI! And you got CABARET tickets!! I had to wait a year to get mine!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.