Wiki Posts
Search

Three Days In Georgia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Stalin seems to be in Georgia like Benito Mussolini in parts of Italy. Incomprehensible.....
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:21 am
SSZ

Programs: EK EY 9W
Hi Daniel,

Around a month back one of my friend shared the FT link of your thread to the Front lines against ISIS, that was the first trip report I read of yours. I was so impressed with your photos and narration that I ended up reading all your trip reports in a few days!!!

Another lovely trip report to Georgia you have written. I really like your food photos literally of all the 3 meals you post! So if you are travelling for 3 days I can expect 9 meal photos.

I see there is no trip to India you have undertaken, I think you did visit sometime but there is no trip report listed. As I am from India I hope you soon plan a trip here as India is a diverse country with an amazing culture. You being a Foodie I am sure you won't be disappointed!

Way to go!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Amazing trip report. Hell, all of yours are. Have you ever thought of approaching a publisher? These trips need to be bounded and on the shelf.
Very impressed sir.
Thank you, enviroian. Yes, I need to get some of the photo’s in print. I was thinking of self-publishing something when / if I get over this travel bug eventually.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Great report again. A lot of tasty food pictures--Georgian cuisine is fantastic. But I particularly like drinks: Borjomi water and Tarhun.
Thanks, hirohito888. Looks like a very interesting drink, I wonder if they sell it in Dubai?
Originally Posted by halfcape
Another interesting report and, as expected, excellent photos. Thanks for sharing your reports.
Cheers, halfcape. Got a few weeks between travels at the moment so have been catching up on the TR’s.
Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Another great report Daniel, you are an inspiration.
This one is particularly well timed. I am planning on spending a few days in Tbilisi and taking a trip to the Gergeti Trinity Church myself in just a few weeks. I appreciate the early reconnaissance, and if you have any more specific recommendations or tips, I'd love to hear them.
Thank you again for putting this report together. Your images are striking, as always.
Thank you, SMFlagg. No doubt you’ll have a great time in Georgia. My only recommendation would be to wear trousers if you climb up to the church. I wore shorts and apparently that is a no-no. I got a few stares when I went inside the church anyway
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Great report as always! Looks a bit more modern than our visit to the Caucasus in 2005 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-mtskheta.html). The Bridge of Peace and funicular weren't there then. We actually went up to the Russian border (it was closed to foreigners then) and got yelled at by the Georgian soldiers.
Many thanks, hauteboy. I went for a morning run on the road north when I was in Stepantsminda, although I didn't get far enough to meet any surly border guards though. The road was in bad shape too, and apparently a few days after I left there was a big landslide and the road and border crossing had to be closed!
Originally Posted by offerendum
Stalin seems to be in Georgia like Benito Mussolini in parts of Italy. Incomprehensible.....
Yes, a bit surreal seeing statues and photo’s of this infamous person about. He was on the winning side for WW2 though I guess.
Originally Posted by SSZ
Hi Daniel,
Around a month back one of my friend shared the FT link of your thread to the Front lines against ISIS, that was the first trip report I read of yours. I was so impressed with your photos and narration that I ended up reading all your trip reports in a few days!!!
Another lovely trip report to Georgia you have written. I really like your food photos literally of all the 3 meals you post! So if you are travelling for 3 days I can expect 9 meal photos.
I see there is no trip to India you have undertaken, I think you did visit sometime but there is no trip report listed. As I am from India I hope you soon plan a trip here as India is a diverse country with an amazing culture. You being a Foodie I am sure you won't be disappointed!
Way to go!
Thank you, SSZ. Yes, I’ll have to head back to India sometime, only a short flight from here in Dubai. I visited also in 2003 and 2010. Both times to be the best man at a wedding so I got a decent dose of culture as well as the tasty cuisine.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:53 am

fantastic report! those photos simply made me want to head back to Georgia again.

really stunning, thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thank you again Daniel. Such a great TR, and amazing photos!
I have Georgia in a special place in memory - hospitable people, friendly and stunning scenery. The few business trips I made there were all great and that bread - OMG, I could eat that every day. (Cannot believe that I just used OMG).........
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Fantastic TR - I really want to go there now! How much English was spoken? Was it difficult to communicate?

Were directions in the hire car difficult? Did you have a working sat navigation?

Was 3 days about the right amount of time there?

I'm guessing costs everywhere were pretty reasonable?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LehBra
fantastic report! those photos simply made me want to head back to Georgia again.

really stunning, thanks for sharing!
Thank you, LehBra. Yes, of the three Caucasus countries, Georgia is probably the one I would most like to head back to too.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Thank you again Daniel. Such a great TR, and amazing photos!
I have Georgia in a special place in memory - hospitable people, friendly and stunning scenery. The few business trips I made there were all great and that bread - OMG, I could eat that every day. (Cannot believe that I just used OMG).........
Thanks, roadwarrier. Yes, a great place to spend a few days. Summer here in Dubai at the moment, and I went during Ramadan too so was great to escape the heat and food restrictions.
Just got back from Sofia and they had some very tasty bread too, an amazing smell permeating through the streets in the morning when we went searching for breakfast.
Originally Posted by smit0847
Fantastic TR - I really want to go there now! How much English was spoken? Was it difficult to communicate?
Were directions in the hire car difficult? Did you have a working sat navigation?
Was 3 days about the right amount of time there?
I'm guessing costs everywhere were pretty reasonable?
Many thanks, smit0847. Everyone I talked to spoke reasonable English. No problems with communicating anyway.
I used the GPS app (Osmand+) on my phone for navigating. Just downloaded Georgia before I left so it would work offline.
I tried to pack as much as possible in my three days so did the highlights that most other travelers do. If you wanted to spend more time there though there is other places to visit and things to do (Batumi, Abkhazia etc.).
Prices were reasonable. The beer and Khinkali/dumplings was $6. Espresso and brownie was $2.40. 30 cents to ride the metro. $53 per night including breakfast for my hotel in Tbilisi.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by offerendum
You clearly don't know what are you talking about sir.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
another great report, yours are always a great read DanielW
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aidy
another great report, yours are always a great read DanielW
Thank you, aidy. Just sorting out what I need to pack for my next trip, camping on the ice sheet in Greenland.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
You clearly don't know what are you talking about sir.
Make me aware please
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:24 am
Suspended

Good stuff, we must have been there around the same time (I was there a bit over a month ago). Good call on renting a car, I did everything with public transport and despite having more time than you I never left Tbilisi (other than day trips to Gori, Mksheta, Davit Gareji etc). Of course your photos are much better than mine, but that's a given if you have more time, Armenia has some great monasteries and landscapes as well. Azerbaijan I was less impressed with.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Fantastic report as usual! It's always such a pleasure to read your trip reports, Daniel. The gorgeous photos and informative writing really bring these fascinating destinations to life. Keep 'me coming!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
Good stuff, we must have been there around the same time (I was there a bit over a month ago). Good call on renting a car, I did everything with public transport and despite having more time than you I never left Tbilisi (other than day trips to Gori, Mksheta, Davit Gareji etc). Of course your photos are much better than mine, but that's a given if you have more time, Armenia has some great monasteries and landscapes as well. Azerbaijan I was less impressed with.
Thanks, mpkz. Yes, I was tossing up getting a marshrutka up to Stepantsminda or getting a a car, but the earliest marshrutka wasn't until 9am and of course it wouldn't have been possible to stop for photo's on the way. Yes, will have to head back to Armenia and hire the Lada again too. My one night in Yerevan after Karabakh didn't leave enough time to see some of the other sights that I wanted to see.

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Fantastic report as usual! It's always such a pleasure to read your trip reports, Daniel. The gorgeous photos and informative writing really bring these fascinating destinations to life. Keep 'me coming!
Many thanks, capedreamer. A few more trips planned for this year. Hopefully crack a century of countries visited too.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you, aidy. Just sorting out what I need to pack for my next trip, camping on the ice sheet in Greenland.
Pack champagne...lots of champagne!

I'm insanely jealous of your Greenland voyage, but look forward to all the tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.