Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

[LIVE] Weekend trip to Costa Rica in BA J & F

[LIVE] Weekend trip to Costa Rica in BA J & F

Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Weekend trip to Costa Rica in BA J & F

A couple of weeks ago British Airways had an amazing flash sale for flights from Spain to Costa Rica, so I booked one!

This is going to be my first attempt to do a Live trip report, so apologies in advance! This is also going to be my first ever attempt to a long haul (almost) back-to-back. I guess if I survive this trip, the next step will be to take the DUB-HEL-LHR-PHL-LAX-HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-DUB back-to-back with 90 minutes spare time for a swim in the ocean

Big thanks to IAkH who first posted this fare in Premium Fare Deals, Lefly and crazy8534 who posted it in BA's Premium Fare Deals and henkybaby who helped me to find a right price when I thought the fare was already gone! Big thanks guys! ^

Itinerary

15-JUL, 15:55 LGW ✈ ALC 19:40 BA2638, A319, CE - positioning flight
16-JUL, 00:30 ACL ✈ LGW 02:00 BA2637, A319, CE
16-JUL, 11:20 LGW ✈ SJO 15:25 BA2237, B772, CW
17-JUL, 07:00 SJO ✈ MIA 11:54 AA1204, B738, C
17-JUL, 17:05 MIA ✈ LHR 06:40 BA206, B744, F - UuA'd, my first First on BA
18-JUL, 19:10 LGW ✈ ALC 22:45 BA2632, A320, CE
18-JUL, 23:30 ALC ✈ LGW 01:05 BA2629, A320, CE

Trip cost: €730 (Ł617) + Ł55 + 15000 avios (Ł150 discount) + 25000 avios (UuA)
Trip earnings: 38476 avios + 480 tier points - so roughly Ł1.4/TP!

I was thinking of a longer stay in Costa Rica taking advantage of this generous sale, but could not decide when, etc... so decided to do a quick back-to-back trip. At the time of booking it sounded like a brilliant idea, but now it's making me a little bit stressed. Foolishly decided to go for a departure from ALC, which I thought would be an easy one to do a b2b, turns out it's not an easy one. Glad I allowed more time on the departure... but return with 45 minutes connection at Alicante may be a bit tight!

Wish me good luck!

Table of contents

Last edited by megaloman; Jul 23, 2016 at 8:17 am Reason: Removed "LIVE" remark
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Good luck with this one and looking forward to it! You'll be very glad you got F on the 206 as you'll get some (well needed!) sleep on the way back!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Good luck with this one and looking forward to it! You'll be very glad you got F on the 206 as you'll get some (well needed!) sleep on the way back!
Cheers! The reisefeber is killing me right now

The UuA to F was a nice surprise - upgrade space opened up 2 days after I've made a booking! Still not sure if it was a right decision to take it - wouldn't 62A be better for a long night sleep? Now I want to experience the full meal service... which will erode my sleeping time! #firstworldproblems
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Not a bad value...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
have subscribed, this is going to be an interesting TR
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Hope you have a really great time!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Check-in completed

So... it looks like I am all set for the journey - check in completed for all three segments all the way to San José.

Got a weird message while checking into ALC ✈ LGW ✈ SJO trip:

Never seen anything like that - maybe I see this message because I'll be travelling HBO. I wonder if my boarding pass needs to be checked at ALC or it's OK if it gets checked at LGW?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:20 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
This will be a fun report, looking forward to it.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by megaloman
So... it looks like I am all set for the journey - check in completed for all three segments all the way to San José.

Got a weird message while checking into ALC ✈ LGW ✈ SJO trip:

Never seen anything like that - maybe I see this message because I'll be travelling HBO. I wonder if my boarding pass needs to be checked at ALC or it's OK if it gets checked at LGW?
Hope you don´t forget your passport
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Hope you don´t forget your passport
I've done it once! luckily it was just a weekend break in Barcelona a few years back...
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I just did an overnight stay during my last run through SJO. There's a Hilton and Holiday Inn next to each other a 5 minute shuttle ride from the airport, so very easy.
Not much airside though - couple of tourist gift shops and eateries and a lounge you may not get into as it's not One world.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xenole
I just did an overnight stay during my last run through SJO. There's a Hilton and Holiday Inn next to each other a 5 minute shuttle ride from the airport, so very easy.
Not much airside though - couple of tourist gift shops and eateries and a lounge you may not get into as it's not One world.
staying at Hilton next to the airport, I think Priority Paas is accepted at the lounge
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Busy day at the office, but managed to leave 20 minutes before 13:12 train from London Bridge to Gatwick. Got a room booked at Hilton next to Terminal North - not sure if I should leave my carry on there or not... don't expect any issues by looking at BA app, all my flights still show as running on time... Club Europe looked half empty when I checked in, but I fear it will be packed with ppl going on holidays.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've just returned from a back-to-back from SJO on the same aircraft, which was much easier than at ALC, I'll say that much.

The passport check was done at the LGW lounge CS desk for me. It's just a simple check to ensure that you are eligible to enter the country.

I look forward to reading your report, bon voyage!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Gatwick Clubrooms

At Gatwick - train station and South terminal looked like a zoo, it was pleasantly quiet at North terminal. Went to check in at Hampton by Holiday in which conveniently is connected to the terminal building - will need it when I land at 2am from Alicante!

Went to the British Airways checkin area... looked like there was some issues with baggage - never seen a queue to the Club check in desks here! Was first in the queue in the First check in area, but waited around 10 minutes for any agent to see me. Got my boarding pass without issues in seconds though - agent seemed relieved I was not checking the bag!

Security - premium line, which used to be next to the BA's check-in, is now closed. New premium line was a breeze - took seconds to go through! But, then - again long walk to the lounges! Got a pass to the clubrooms within seconds - but before heading there decided to ask if they could print out my boarding passes and check my passport for my later trip.

The customer service lady at the British Airways desk was brilliant - she's checked me in for all my flights back to London, so got boarding passes for ALC ✈ LGW, LGW ✈ SJO, SJO ✈ MIA and MIA ✈ LHR! Also got two Sq.001's - on ALC ✈ LGW and MIA ✈ LHR I wonder who got Sq.001 on LGW ✈ SJO as I checked in quite early and got Sq.005 :?

Clubrooms are nice - quite enjoyed my stay there. Did not understand a concept of reserving tables - looks like some people pre-booked sofas and tables... anyhow table where I wanted to sit wasn't reserved.

My flight was a bit delayed - scheduled departure 15:55, estimated departure 16:21 - so I got a weird spinach ravioli and some gin and tonic.

Oh well, no FeverTree tonic... going to catch my plane now!

Last edited by megaloman; Jul 15, 2016 at 9:02 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.