Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Birthday...UA J Mileage Run? SFO-TPE-HKG-EWR-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HNL-SFO

Birthday...UA J Mileage Run? SFO-TPE-HKG-EWR-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HNL-SFO

Old Jul 20, 16, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler
Smile

Originally Posted by DEK View Post

"Once you get to the top and go past the little tram structures there's great views (sorry he's not included on future hikes) and a WONDERFUL breeze."

I must say your trip reports just keep getting better and better!
I agree!! ^^
Old Jul 20, 16, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Awesome Trip Report JV. As always, thanks for sharing ^
Old Aug 7, 16, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Sorry for the delay...moving into a new house!

Sheraton Laguna & Guam

All rev'd up and ready to go! Really friendly desk girl and parking lot attendant at Hertz at GUM.

So I knew my phone wouldn't work in Guam, but I frequently buy AT&T's "Passport" global data packages. You buy them now for a month at a certain amount of data so I bought a package that would be fine for TPE/HKG/GUM. My phone found out a way to connect to AT&T but it wouldn't connect to any 3/4G LTE or the like. Luckily I could pretty much see the Sheraton off in the distance and was more or less able to see on the map that would load on the phone the way to get there.

Check in was a mess of a Korean tour group ahead of me with no SPG Elite line staffed.
They actually upgraded my room to a 1BR ocean view balcony suite on the Club floor.

Tired and starving I went down to the buffet for dinner.
Food was better than the surroundings or atmosphere. Grilled seafood, lobster, Mongolian bbq, mix of sushi and other mix of dishes and cultures.

The I went to sign the check to room charge.

$55.

I thought oh okay what's the conversion again...oh. Wait, it's USD. Word of the wise, at tourist resorts on weekends make sure you check for the over priced "surf and turf" bbqs.

Since I was on a Club floor I went to try and get into the lounge for breakfast. You use a key card to enter but no dice it wouldn't open. On my drive in I saw Shirley's Coffee Shop and went to try that out.

Went back again the 2nd morning and the Chamorro scramble was tastier than the first one.

I liked the place, there's at least 2 since I saw another one. Like a Denny's with local flavor.

Guam was pretty easy to get around. A road around the island with a few ways to cut through it.

First morning decided to hike to Mt. Lam Lam...the "tallest" mountain in the world (if you count it's base being at the bottom of the Marianas Trench).

Really beautiful, nice breeze once you get to the top. It's used yearly by Catholics where they all hike up to a spot to the right doing stations of the cross or something like that.

I head read about sword (or blade?) grass native to Guam which doesn't look too bad but it apparently has micro sharp blades on it that'll cut you up and not realize it until later. I didn't really notice anything hiking but I did try to cover my arms when having to push through some of the tall grass.
Had a few scratches the next day.

Also noticed this old Continental Air Micronesia sign that I did a big u-turn to take a pic of.

I had to get a new room key...TWICE! I kept taking the swim towel card instead of my room key!

Googled and found Meskla Dos for "fusion" burgers and other Chamoro take on things.

I went back the next day for lunch before going to Tarzan Falls and got a burger as well!

I had Tarzan Falls to myself with a barking frog keeping me company. When I got back to the car another group of 4-5 locals was making their way in.

It was hot and humid and I was in the sun a lot so I made sure to have plenty of liquids.

Combined with a few drops in at Unified Crossfit with a great group working out as well.

Someone from my gym back home was stationed in Guam for a bit and recommended doing sunset one night at The Beach Bar at Gun Beach. Was a nice vibe with a guy playing acoustic guitar. Food was okay and price wasn't much of a bargain but it was a nice spot.

Someone at the gym said I should go to Mosa's Joint for lunch. Wasn't bad, nice spot but maybe I ordered wrong.

Followed by 1,000 Steps to work of the taco. An easy "hike" up and down the stairs. I had the rocky coastline all to myself.

Final meal I wanted some sushi and saw that 9th Street Rotary was high on the list. I realized that the rotary meant it was one of the revolving conveyer belt places.

It was great! Also had this amazing taco with some sort of Chamoro dried/seasoned beef.

The USA's first sun of rise and first to set. Getting in bed for an early start to head to GUM en-route to SFO in the morning.
Old Aug 7, 16, 11:57 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Food was better than the surroundings or atmosphere. Grilled seafood, lobster, Mongolian bbq, mix of sushi and other mix of dishes and cultures.
Enjoy your report^. Must say that tis dish looks some kind of wired
Old Aug 8, 16, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Enjoy your report^. Must say that tis dish looks some kind of wired
From what it looked like fried fish heads. I did not partake.
Old Aug 8, 16, 9:52 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
From what it looked like fried fish heads. I did not partake.
Something like that.... Wouldn´t partake too
Old Aug 9, 16, 1:50 am

what camera gear for all the TR photos?
Old Aug 9, 16, 6:51 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G (Elite), QF bronze, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Guam is a really odd little place. Did you eat any of the local specialty, spam sushi?
Old Aug 9, 16, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
Guam is a really odd little place. Did you eat any of the local specialty, spam sushi?
I let that baby roll on by at the rotary in Guam as well as the place in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
what camera gear for all the TR photos?
iPhone and Leica X2 are what I use for TRs.
Professionally I use a Candon 5Dsr and personally I use film Hasselblad or Fuji 6x9.
Old Aug 14, 16, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

United Business GUM-HNL-SFO "Hawaii" 777

Early morning. So early that when I was filling up the car with gas I spent 2 min looking for the switch to pop the tank and right in front of me never saw it until the station attendant came out.

Interesting you check in, get your bags labeled and then take them to the other agents with the x-ray belts. Pre-Check had no one in it.

The lounge was pretty full in the wee hours. The staff was great, there was the oatmeal and breakfast food out. Also 3 big guys spread throughout who were SNOOOOORING!

Never realized GUM was on the EVA Hello Kitty route. Cool to see it there.

Doing the passport check at the gate wasn't actually the clusterF I thought it could be.

This was my first time on the Hawaii config 777 so I was happy to get on it for this leg before it's gone in the conversion.

Scored and empty seat next to me. They give out pre-loaded Samsung tablets in F for IFE. Interface was good and the choices were pretty standard on the rest of the UA fleet.

Plenty of leg room. Even if a middle person had to get out they would have no problem. I was liking this seat. Most of the time when I'm on a flight and accidentally doze off it's in the reclined lounger position as it is.

Tasty but spartan.

Nice touch, almost thought I was on a 5* airline!

Hot sandwich prior to arrival.

Bags were coming off the carrousel by the time we landed, got off, took the shuttle to the claim area and re-drop was simple. The airport was pretty empty going back through security and there were only 2 people in PreCheck and maybe 5 in regular.
This was in the middle of the airport because I came out near the Admiral's Club and ended up having a bite to eat at this "Local Taste" or something like that place across from it. When I got back down by the UA security it was a pretty "normal" size crowd.

Back to the club, again nothing that special. There were a few vocal Trump supporters who seemed to realize that while they were talking to the TV with CNN on it would not talk back.

Same seat, different 777. This was a bit more full with someone next to me. Tired I was just going to pass out. The flight arrives at almost 5am and I still had to drive down to Monterey. The snack was a calzone and I did my best to sleep as much as I could during the flight.

Getting to the rental car terminal was quick and I picked up a Chevy Sonic which handles and drives like crap. I also got chewed out by the gate attendant from Hertz because I had a California DL but my account still had my New York one attached to it. No one made a stink about it in HNL or GUM when I got my rentals.
It was cheaper by like $35 to drop the car off at the Salinas Auto Mall instead of MRY airport. But that meant I needed to kill an extra 45 min or so (and give my Mom extra time in the morning) on the drive so I stopped at a Denny's in San Jose.

I haven't been to a Denny's in years and I realize I haven't been missing much.

Well the TR is finally done. Took me a bit longer because I ended up going to Tahoe, Sonoma and NY in the past few weeks since I've been back. Nothing too exciting coming up until the fall when it's Thailand again plus Siem Reap, SGN, KUL and SIN.
Old Aug 17, 16, 7:55 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Nice report. Man that is a lot of flying. Or at least it seems so.
Old Aug 18, 16, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
Nice report. Man that is a lot of flying. Or at least it seems so.
30,500 miles in 3 weeks...plenty of people here do more than that!
Old Dec 7, 16, 8:30 pm

United Club HNL & Island Hopper Y HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM

Heading to Chuuk we passed over this random atoll. It hammered home the idea that some of these places we stopped are just small strips of sand in the middle of the ocean, unsheltered with little protection.

By the way, this random atoll you're referring to has a name: Oroluk Atoll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroluk_Atoll

I saw the same atoll when I was flying the island hopper. Fortunately I brought a GPS logger with me and identified the location on my route afterwards.
Old Dec 13, 16, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Fantastic thanks for the info!
Old Dec 13, 16, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Fantastic thanks for the info!
When can we look forward to your next report?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: