Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Etihad A380 First Class Apartments LHR-AUH (with Video!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone!

I have never been more excited for a flight than I was for this one.

I was determined to get the flight in before the AAdvantage devaluation, and so ended up heading over to the middle east when I didn't really need to, for the sake of the flight - but such is my obsession, and one that the majority of you will understand.

The whole experience was absolutely fantastic. From Cornel - the driver who picked me up and took me to LHR, the ground staff (bit grumpy at check in but lounge staff and concierge arrival service were amazing), the flight itself and the ground and transfer experience at AUH - everything matched or beat my expectations. My only complaint was that the flight was far too short!

I made a video of my experience so you can visually enjoy, here is the link:

Some more in depth thoughts...

Food:

The food onboard was some of the best I've ever had. I had the steak, which I always find a huge risk in the sky, but as I said in the video, it was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever eaten on a plane. British Airways, take note!

Drink:

Having a cocktail in a proper cocktail glass, with a cherry plonked in really made a huge difference. It's the little things like that, that make everything the more special. Watch out for these glasses though, mine went flying and I managed to cover myself and half the apartment in cocktail!

The wine tasting was brilliant. Crew were super knowledgable and made the trying the 7 or 8 wines into a real experience.

On Board facilities:

The lounge area was really cool. I sat and chatted to loads of interesting people and had a couple of drinks. It was a bit weird that when the seatbelt signs came on, you couldn't just strap yourself in there and stay. I must say that they were much stricter with getting the business class lot back to their seats!

The shower was the greatest thing of all time. I LOVED it. Having a shower and getting in the PJs and coming back to a made bed and watching a bit of attenborough on the huge screen was amazing. A top tip - the screen swings out, so if you sleep with your feet by the window, you can bring the screen round over your feet for easy viewing. Crew had originally set the bed up the other way round. Due to flight length I wasn't planning on actually sleeping so this was important.

Thanks for reading / watching

Nicky
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Hardcore testing including shower
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:35 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Are you intentionally trying to imitate Casey? Because i've been watching your trip reports the past few weeks, and they are slowly but surely taking that turn. Please try and be original... it might improve your view count.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Hardcore testing including shower
Thanks! I think!!

Originally Posted by rxfleming
Are you intentionally trying to imitate Casey? Because i've been watching your trip reports the past few weeks, and they are slowly but surely taking that turn. Please try and be original... it might improve your view count.
I'm not no - but I guess that could be construed as a compliment. Without being a technical whizz it's hard to do much more than shoot what you see and patch together all the bits! I'm also pretty new to doing this so hope to develop my own style. As I photographer I was never really taught in the beginning so was free to develop my own vibe - and I definitely feel more at home taking stills.

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely try and pursue a route of originality!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Very nice video..

I hope to hear more about your trip, as in your hotel stay and where you visited.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:55 pm

Great stuff.
Editing style is top notch - your enthusiasm and the experience both come through strongly!
Wine tasting looked good fun!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:17 am

Enjoyed the vid. Good job.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using someone else as inspiration, especially when you're starting off. He himself welcomes that. Just don't make a film of you surprising your girlfriend in South Africa.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Awesome job Nicky!
I can only imagine how much work goes into putting this together.
And I thought editing photos for TRs was tough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.