Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Upper Deck A380! LH Business Class FRA-SFO

Old Jun 18, 16, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I flew from Frankfurt to San Francisco. This is a continuation of my journey from Amsterdam.
The complete report is below in commercial-free video format, but for those who want the text and photos, it is below.

My company paid for this flight since I travelled for work, so that is how I got the business class ticket.

I did not have time for the lounge since the flight was going to depart quickly, so I had to skip the lounge. But after security, the very first thing they always shuttle you through is the shopping area. I usually end up parting with a whole bunch of Euros when I walk through here:

at FRAirport by sfflyer123, on Flickr

Afterwards, itís an extremely long walk to the gate. For those who have traveled through FRA before, you know that in the international pier which houses all the A380s, the gates are extremely far apart and the walking distances are very long. Thus, you should always incorporate plenty of time after security or the lounge to walk to the gate, especially if you are stuck behind slow people on the moving walkway.

Finally, I get to the gate, and I can see the A380. Itís such a massive plane. There are separate boarding piers, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Itís faster, but itís not as fun as the B747, in which you have to walk up the stairs on the plane. There is something cool about walking upstairs in an airplane.

A380 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

I then settled into the seat, which is fantastic. The leg rests are separated on the A380, unlike the B747-8, in which your legs are directed towards your seatmates.

leg room by sfflyer123, on Flickr

As I stare out the window, I am always impressed as to how many widebody aircraft LH actually owns.

view out the window by sfflyer123, on Flickr

I am so thirsty when I arrive, so I just have water.

water by sfflyer123, on Flickr

But after a while, I feel like I am missing out, so I ask the people for a glass of champagne. They happily oblige.

champagne by sfflyer123, on Flickr

After take off, I have red wine and nuts. LH always has fantastic wines. I wish United could hire LHís wine consultant and buy the wines that LH buys. I have never had bad wine on LH, but on UA, I definitely have had wines that I simply send back.

red wine and nuts by sfflyer123, on Flickr

I have the smoked trout appetizer. This is quite good, but not super delicious.

fish appetizer by sfflyer123, on Flickr

I have the tandoori chicken. It is quite delicious. Although itís interesting that they serve Indian food on a German airline. I canít imagine that they would serve schnitzel on Air India. Nonethless, it was great.

Chicken by sfflyer123, on Flickr

I then have the cheese course to finish. It was excellent.

Cheese course by sfflyer123, on Flickr

After a nice nap, I wake up and we have our pre-arrival snack. It is not much of a meal in terms of quantity of food, but itís quite good:

Soup and salad by sfflyer123, on Flickr

Overall, the LH A380 business class experience is top-notch. I was very pleased and satisfied with this long-haul product, and I would highly recommend it to anybody.

For the complete trip, the ad-free video is here:

Thank you very much for reading/watching!
Old Jun 20, 16, 4:32 am
Moderator: Trip Reports

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
I canít imagine that they would serve schnitzel on Air India.
Probably not veal or beef anyway.
Old Jun 21, 16, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW View Post
Probably not veal or beef anyway.
Yes, very good point.
Old Jun 22, 16, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The LH A380 is the last LH bird I need to have flown the whole fleet....you're making my gears turn on how to get on one. Thanks for sharing
Old Jun 22, 16, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Thanks for sharing. I wish my company had a generous travel policy like that!
Old Jun 25, 16, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
The LH A380 is the last LH bird I need to have flown the whole fleet....you're making my gears turn on how to get on one. Thanks for sharing
Thank you for your comment!

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Thanks for sharing. I wish my company had a generous travel policy like that!
Thank you. Yes, I am very lucky in that regard.

Search this Thread