Search

Colorado to California via spectacular Utah

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Colorado to California via spectacular Utah

Last weekend, Mrs. SFO777 and I bid adieu to Denver and headed to our new home in Orange County, California. Since it was Memorial Weekend and the moving van wouldn't arrive until this past Wednesday, we decided to take a three day drive thru Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Nevada before getting to California. The packers finished late Friday afternoon, we headed out for dinner and then to SFO777Jr's place to say good-bye and watch the Cavs finish off the Raptors. Then to the my local go-to SPG "mattress run" hotel, the Sheraton DTC. Pleasant suburban Sheraton with a great weekend rate of $99 including club floor upgrade and breakfast.

After breakfast, we headed back to our old Cherry Hills Village home to finish cleaning and packing up our cars before heading out on the road, a 5+ hour drive today to Moab, Utah.

Copper Mountain where we went skiing with the grandkids in April.

A confused GPS system thinks we are off of I-70.

Some great names for towns in Colorado.

Yes, a 75 MPH speed limit!

Another great town name... Rifle.

Mrs. SFO777, coming up fast...

And passing me.

A pit stop at Parachute, Colorado.

Gotta love an 80 MPH speed limit!

A little over 5 hours after we left Denver, we exited I-70 for Moab.

And our home for the night, the new and very nice Fairfield Inn and Suites Moab. No deals here this weekend as I booked what was apparently the last room in Moab this weekend.

Nice view from our suite.

The main lobby area where breakfast is served.

For dinner, we were fortunate to discover and get a late table at an absolutely delightful local restaurant, Desert Bistro.

Our ahi starter was spectacular.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 5, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Another one^ It´s an interesting journey, I will follow up
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:37 pm

I truly believe that no matter how interesting/uninteresting a trip is SFO777 can always make a great trip report out of it.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:49 am

Was it hot in Utah? I presume May.

I would like to visit. thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Beautiful views! Thanks for sharing.

I've always felt like Sheraton was the step-child brand of SPG because so many of their properties are total dumps. That Fairfield Suites on the other hand, wow, beautiful area to spend the night.

Enjoy the open road!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am in awe at the fantastic view you had from your suite at Fairfield Inn and Suites Moab. We spent the last week of May in southern Utah as far east as Capital Reef but not up to Moab. I was shocked by the lack of hotels and restaurants taking advantage of amazing views. Buildings were plopped on lots irrespective of where the view was.

To Brettee's question about weather, we started at Lake Powell and did a loop thru Zion, Bryce, and Capital Reef. We needed sweaters at higher elevation, and were shocked to learn that Cedar Breaks was still closed by snow. The greater part of our trip was at lower elevations (Zion, Lake Powell, Amangiri), where the weather was idyllic.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Off topic SFO777, (den777 and now OC777) but I'm amazed how brilliant your photos are on your web page opposite that of flyer talk, simply stunning!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

While Mrs. SFO777 decided to sleep in, I headed out just after 6am to Arches National Park, just a mile up the road from our hotel. I had absolutely no idea what to expect as this was just a stop on the way to California. But OMG, what a spectacular experience, especially early in the morning before the crowds.

I had no idea where I was going but decided to stop and a hike a trail to the Landscape Arch.
I was virtually alone the entire hike amidst awe inspiring scenery.

And since this is FlyerTalk...

Just after 7:30a, I started heading back to the hotel and Mrs. SFO. I was the only car leaving the park on the entire 20 mile drive. But there was a constant stream of inbound traffic. If you can get up early, I would recommend arriving by 6am for the most peaceful experience.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Another one^ It´s an interesting journey, I will follow up
Thank you offerendum.

Originally Posted by rimoabdallah
I truly believe that no matter how interesting/uninteresting a trip is SFO777 can always make a great trip report out of it.
Thanks very much rimoabdallah.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Was it hot in Utah? I presume May.
I would like to visit. thanks.
Thanks Bretteee. Daytime temps were in the mid 80s, nights in the upper 50s. It was very pleasant.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Beautiful views! Thanks for sharing.
I've always felt like Sheraton was the step-child brand of SPG because so many of their properties are total dumps. That Fairfield Suites on the other hand, wow, beautiful area to spend the night.
Enjoy the open road!
Thank you CHOPCHOP767. I was really surprised at the Fairfield Suites. It's still only 3 star but very clean and spacious.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am in awe at the fantastic view you had from your suite at Fairfield Inn and Suites Moab. We spent the last week of May in southern Utah as far east as Capital Reef but not up to Moab. I was shocked by the lack of hotels and restaurants taking advantage of amazing views. Buildings were plopped on lots irrespective of where the view was.
To Brettee's question about weather, we started at Lake Powell and did a loop thru Zion, Bryce, and Capital Reef. We needed sweaters at higher elevation, and were shocked to learn that Cedar Breaks was still closed by snow. The greater part of our trip was at lower elevations (Zion, Lake Powell, Amangiri), where the weather was idyllic.
Thanks so much SanDiego1K. Totally agree on why hotels don't take advantage of the natural beauty. Most of the hotels I saw were in town with no view at all. We really lucked out with the Fairfield Inn. Never thought I'd hear this from Mrs. SFO777, but she insists that she'll like to go back. Would love to spend a few days in other parts of the state like you did.

Originally Posted by glasman19
Off topic SFO777, (den777 and now OC777) but I'm amazed how brilliant your photos are on your web page opposite that of flyer talk, simply stunning!
Thank you glasman19. Not sure why I can't get the same HD-like quality on FT since I'm using the same pic. I do use a much larger pic on SFO777.com which seems to greatly improve quality when it is reduced. Thanks again.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:43 pm

Really enjoying this TR SFO777. I've done this drive before and spent some time in Rifle and Palisade. This report brings back some nice memories. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA
As always, great photography!

Denver won't be the same without the two of you!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I've always wanted to drive through (parts of) the US and your TR brought that project back on the very top of my to do list. Spectacular scenery!
On another note, best of luck to you for the move to OC, SFO777
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Such spectacular scenery. Thanks for sharing. Hope that the move went smoothly.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Gold
Spectacular photos of Utah, around every bend in the road is another surprise.

Welcome to Orange County, you're going to love it here.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Welcome to the coast with the most!!

Denver to California is the most beautiful part of a cross-country drive. Love the pics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.