Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To The Frontlines Against ISIS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by mkjr
What struck me was the shoes of many of the YPG fighters.
You're not the only one.

This is a brilliant report. I really, really like the opportunity to see a little bit of what's happening on the ground.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Stunning stuff

I swear DanielW will one day do a trip report from Narnia or the moon or something.
I think he probably will at some point. Stunning - top that SFO777
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Amazing trip, beautiful photography, thank you Daniel. Did all your glass survive?!
Thanks, mentor of monty. Yes, Canon makes pretty sturdy gear and it thankfully came back all ok.
Originally Posted by aidy
another amazing report, thanks
Cheers, aidy.
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Thank you for this, Daniel. It's an important record, and it's so important to see the faces of some of the men, women and children that are swept up in this horrible, bewildering - and yet often uplifting - situation. You've done them a great service.
Thank you, Gardyloo. Seeing the resolute civilians as they dealt with the situation as best as they could was very inspiring too.
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Thanks for such an amazing report. Your report clearly illustrates what I've discovered during my interactions with people in that part of the world (I've been to Turkey): the warm tradition of hospitality that is offered to all guests and travelers. To sit down and drink tea and have conversation is such an important part of the culture.
Many thanks, rittenhousesq. Yes, the sit down and chat with some tea is an important part of the hospitality. I was starting to get addicted to the sugary caffeine fix by the end too!
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Agree with the rest, simply one of the best trip reports on flyertalk.
Thanks, calvinoeh, glad that this write-up and photos is appreciated.
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Incredible. "Trip Report" doesn't come near to doing this piece of work justice. Thank you.
Cheers, CatchThePigeon. It was great to explore the complex political and cultural factors at play in this conflict.
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
What an incredible TR! The amount of research that must've gone into this must have been mind blowing. Combine that with the fantastic photography and you've got what I would say is the best TR posted on Flyertalk!
Many thanks, ChiefNWA. I had been following the conflict since it began, but it was quite enlightening to delve more deeply and experience a part of it first-hand.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
A question popped into my head that I forgot to ask. You kept getting media passes, had an armed guard, fixer, etc. You certainly seemed to have some in depth access to many varied locations and people.
Was this a trip just for yourself, or were you representing an organization on the trip? Will the pictures and story be used or published in other places?
I have some options for publication, but the trip was primarily for me personally. Jan has been to Rojava multiple times and hence built up quite a ‘rolodex’ of contacts which allowed good access to the various places.
Originally Posted by gmitchs
Thank you for this revealing and educative TR. Hands down my favorite piece on FT.
My company turns down potential work in some of the less stable regions of the world and for the most part I am thankful for that. However, I really appreciate people like yourself who are willing to take the risks and share those experiences with others. Safe Travels.
Many thanks, gmitchs. Yes, the risk of doing business in some places in the middle-east can be too much, especially with the instability and lack of strong government. Hopefully Rojava can become more stable and a relatively peaceful place now, like Iraqi-Kurdistan over the border.
Originally Posted by jacobac00
I can't add anything to what has already been said. So I will simply say thank you DanielW for an incredible report. Just amazing.
Thank you, jacobac00, it was am amazing journey too.
Originally Posted by mkjr
Outstanding. What struck me was the shoes of many of the YPG fighters. They could be you or I when thrust into a conflict to defend everything that you believe in...
Also, that so much time had allowed these barbaric people to get entrenched to the point where they had commercial signs made to spread their hate and propaganda...
The thing that stuck me as something so many take for granted was the comment from the boy on the bike who was just happy he could go back to school now that these barbaric people were gone.
Thanks, mkjr. Yes, was quite eye-opening to see the their efforts to control and govern. And the boy was happy to simply go to school again, to learn and be with his friends.
Originally Posted by x1234
Man you're a lot braver than me! AWESOME TR btw!
Cheers, x1234. Curious maybe, but not brave.
Originally Posted by greg99
I'm rendered speechless by the power of this report.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
Greg
Thank you, greg99.
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Just finished reading this epic TR! Well done.. Those fighting ladies are awesome.. I had no idea and now I know more. Thank you
Thanks, cyclogenesis. Yes, the famous YPJ fighters were very brave and inspiring, fighting alongside their male counterparts.
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Stunning stuff
I swear DanielW will one day do a trip report from Narnia or the moon or something.
Thank you, JohnnyColombia. My next trip definitely won’t be to the moon, but the mud volcanoes near Baku looked like they were from another planet.
Originally Posted by Madone59
I am without words DanielW. Thank you!
Many thanks, Madone59.
Originally Posted by chongl
Always such a treat to see what DanielW puts together
Thanks, chongl, hopefully some more journeys coming shortly.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Adding my thanks for an incredible piece of work. Really compelling to see this as compared with 30 second stories on what passes for "News" anymore.
Bravo.
Thank you, goodeats21. Yes, it was good to go more in-depth and see the human side as well as all the fighting.
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
You're not the only one.
This is a brilliant report. I really, really like the opportunity to see a little bit of what's happening on the ground.
Thanks, Fredrik74, yes, from the towns to the frontlines, it was very interesting to see it all in person.
Originally Posted by mike&co
I think he probably will at some point. Stunning - top that SFO777
I’m sure SFO777 already has his ticket booked.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
Well done. Terrific report on an obviously not popular place to go.

Some questions:
1) how many hours did it take to arrange all this?

2) when you go and eat in a restaurant for three people for $10USD total or whatever, do you ever feel that you should tip a bunch just because the people there have lived through such devastation? Your way of giving charity?

3) are you ever able to send a copy of the photos to the people in the street or shops that you photograph?
Thank you, farbster. Yes, not too many other westerners in this part of the world at the moment.

It took quite a bit of time to organise, both from my side and from Jan my fixer. It all worked out in the end though/

I think there's some ethical concerns when overpaying for meals etc. It can cause inflation for the locals which is not good. They are quite proud people too so charity like that is not too well accepted.

Communication is not too good, i.e. internet or postal so getting a photograph back to them would be difficult.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DanielW

I think there's some ethical concerns when overpaying for meals etc. It can cause inflation for the locals which is not good. They are quite proud people too so charity like that is not too well accepted.
Another amazing and daring adventure. Thanks so much for sharing. The inclusion of maps further boost my comprehension of the story. This beats the x?x? out of reports on EY Apartment, showers in the sky reports.

About the above quote: You hit it right on. For most (some) of us (myself included), sometimes our "compassion" obscures our sensitivity of those issues you raised (my bold).

^^
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:55 am

>DanielW..joined just to say thanks for an incredible piece of writing. Have followed the goings on in the area daily on #ypg since the dark days when it was looking like Kobane would be lost. Your report with its great pictures has given it all a new meaning..so thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Such an engaging TR. An awesome read and puts so much colour into the bleak news reports we see and hear.

Thank you so much
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:55 pm

Another terrific trip report! Although think it was the first time have had to have additional websites open as read your trip report: Google Maps and Wikipedia. Had to attempt to understand borders, organizations, groups, etc. as you discussed them in your TR.

As usual you took amazing photos.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Another amazing and daring adventure. Thanks so much for sharing. The inclusion of maps further boost my comprehension of the story. This beats the x?x? out of reports on EY Apartment, showers in the sky reports.
About the above quote: You hit it right on. For most (some) of us (myself included), sometimes our "compassion" obscures our sensitivity of those issues you raised (my bold).
^^
Thank you, allset2travel. The maps helped to understand where I had been, and the strategic relevance with regard to the border and the ISIS areas.
I have managed a shower in an aeroplane yet, although its a fair way down my bucket list.
Yes, a foreigner being liberal with money is not maybe the best thing to do in a dangerous country!
Originally Posted by ekon
>DanielW..joined just to say thanks for an incredible piece of writing. Have followed the goings on in the area daily on #ypg since the dark days when it was looking like Kobane would be lost. Your report with its great pictures has given it all a new meaning..so thanks for sharing your experiences.
Many thanks, ekon. Yes, it was interesting to see Kobani after the siege, and how it was slowly getting back on its feet. And welcome to FT!
Originally Posted by Jonobigblind
Such an engaging TR. An awesome read and puts so much colour into the bleak news reports we see and hear.
Thank you so much
Thanks, Jonobigblind. Yes, despite the bad stuff, a lot of good stuff is happening there too.
Originally Posted by bowdenj
Another terrific trip report! Although think it was the first time have had to have additional websites open as read your trip report: Google Maps and Wikipedia. Had to attempt to understand borders, organizations, groups, etc. as you discussed them in your TR.
As usual you took amazing photos.
Thank you, bowdenj. Yes, google maps and Wikipedia were very helpful to see and understand the situation and the different areas of control. Interestingly, it’s been reported that ISIS has lost large chunks of territory in Syria, but it should also be mentioned that almost all of these gains are due to the Kurds, not the Regime or other rebel groups.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:14 pm

This was amazing. One of the best pieces of visual journalism I have seen this year.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott GLD
I was so eager to read more and disappointed after page 2..this is like in the movies but real..thank you for bringing this to us who cannot be there (even if we want to !!)
This is why life is worth living for, and your trip is one of the proof for that ^
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:41 pm

Any pictures of the flight from Doha to Erbil?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
DanielW, thank you for the trip report! As always, it was not just interesting, but informative and I feel like I really got a glimpse into a life rarely seen. Must have been a hell of an adventure!

I hear Donetsk and Luhansk are very nice this time of year, in case you are looking for more edgy places to go to
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:55 pm

I am halfway thru this report and felt the need to say that this is an amazing report. The level of detail and education is simply second to none. Now I need to finish this report and dive into your others.

Thanks for sharing....
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Wow I am in complete awe. Thank you for another brilliant trip report. By far the best one on FT. I am a huge fan of your writing and photography. Thank you so much for all that you to do to bring these stories to life for us. Safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.