Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

LH F to Dubai, Park Hyatt Dubai & 13 hours in the FRA FCT

Old Jun 2, 16, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent

As announced when I concluded my last trip report a few weeks ago, I was soon to go to Dubai for a short but sweet business trip. Here's the itinerary:

LH C CDG-FRA
FRA FCT (5 hours)
LH F FRA-DXB
Park Hyatt Dubai
Out and about in Abu Dhabi & Dubai
One & Only Royal Mirage: Jetty Lounge and Beach Bar & Grill
The Thai Kitchen at Park Hyatt
Senator Lounge DXB
LH F DXB-FRA
FRA FCT (13 hours)
LH C FRA-CDG

Stay tuned!

Last edited by JohnRain; Jun 2, 16 at 7:34 am
Old Jun 2, 16, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Subscribed
Old Jun 2, 16, 12:41 pm

Does this trip contain the same amount of food as the last one?
Old Jun 3, 16, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E View Post
Subscribed
Thanks BA5E!

Originally Posted by DetailsIM View Post
Does this trip contain the same amount of food as the last one?
Unfortunately this report won't contain the same amount of food as the last one, DetailsIM. This is because it contains... more!

Update: the first installment will be online later today
Old Jun 3, 16, 5:24 am
Original Poster

I don't like getting up early on a Sunday morning...unless airplanes are involved. The check-in experience at CDG is a bit special these days (on my trip to Tokyo last April the check-in area was sealed off for 60 minutes by the police because of a suspicious package). Fortunately that wasn't the case today, but it still makes you a bit uncomfortable to see a terror warning next to the check-in display. Gotta love the French though for creating a new word for every situation including the scariest ones, as the anti-terror program is called Vigipirate.

The CDG SEN lounge doesn't deserve to be photographed, as it's a windowless room that even makes some PriorityPass lounges look glamourous. The short hop to FRA was uneventful.

Although I was quite hungry I ordered breakfast mainly for the photo-op and barely touched it as I knew that better food was waiting for me, MUCH better food.

As we started our descent I was eagerly waiting for the PA to come through with the most polarising words in the crew's vocabulary: non-gate position. Much to my disappointment I soon found out that we would be arriving at A1. Damn. No limo transfer today. Once on the ground I started the long trek to the FCT, ignoring the sirens of nearby FCL A. Even the sight of this baby couldn't motivate me to stay in the main terminal.

Catholics have Rome, Muslims have Mecca, Jews have Jerusalem and frequent flyers have Frankfurt. What a beautiful sight to my (still sleepy) eyes.

This way.

Almost there.

The FCT wasn't very crowded and I quickly settled in an area where I was the only guest. On the way to the dining area I asked for a bathroom with a tub for later in the morning (it was taken at that time).

I had the dining area all to myself.

The breakfast menu read like a challenge I was happy to accept.

My Bavarian origins left me no choice but to start with a pair of Weisswürste, as you're not supposed to eat them after 11AM. No problem.

And no self-respecting Bavarian would eat those without a Weizen and a Brezn.

Next, some Eggs Benedict.

I then toured the buffet to find some inspiration.

I decided to keep it light as I would still need some appetite for lunch on the ground, followed by lunch in the air.

After breakfast I enquired again about that tub, but it was still unavailable. I settled for a regular shower room instead and asked for a Quietscheente (rubber ducky).

Feeling refreshed I decided to rest a bit, as I had heard that you burn quite a few calories during your sleep and lunch was only 60 minutes away.

Car options for the drive to the plane: as I have no kids and I'm not over 50 I hoped that the dispatcher would make the only logical decision and allocate the Porsche to me.

I wonder if somebody ever eats those.

This shot is for you, offerendum...

The only weak aspect of the FCT is the view.

A member of staff came by to inform me that a bath tub was now ready but it was a bit late for me as I still wanted to have lunch and would have to leave after that. He apologised and (exceptionally) offered to reserve a bath tub for me on may way back, as I would be landing in FRA at 6AM. I gladly accepted.

Time flies in the FCT and soon lunch was calling. Asparagus season is always a big thing in Germany and the FCT is no exception.

The buffet options looked appealing...

...but I nevertheless went for the Wiener Schnitzel, a true classic and one of my favourite dishes.

The dessert spread was appealing as well...

... but I kept it light again. Am I being too reasonable? My new animal friend certainly thinks so.

Back in my comfortable seat I watched what I hoped would be my car getting an ultimate polish.

It was soon time to leave the FCT but I wasn't too sad as I would be back three days later and for much longer. Down to passport control and out to the car. Bingo! The Porsche it was.

Not only was I lucky with the car but also with the driver as he could tell I was really excited at the thought of driving across the tarmac in a Porsche and he asked the only appropriate question in that situation: "Shall I make a detour?"

We came really close to this bird and I imagined that inside there was at least one little boy glued to the window and beaming with excitement at the sight of a Porsche on the tarmac, making a promise to himself that one day, one day he would be sitting in that car as well.

Today's ride, not as roomy as an A380 and not as unique as a B748, but still a very fine plane.

Conclusion: Why fly direct if you can stop at the FRA FCT?

Up Next: LH F to Dubai

Last edited by JohnRain; Jun 21, 16 at 9:57 am
Old Jun 3, 16, 5:54 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Some
Thanks, always nice to read about LHFCT. Only issue is, that you aren´t able to drive the cars yourself. Race with an Airbus
Old Jun 3, 16, 9:28 am

I came for the food but staying for the attire. Sharp dressed traveler. Feel free to share what type of bag ya carry. I'm diggin' it.
Old Jun 3, 16, 9:34 am

JohnRain busy again pleasing the FT masses. Bravo. Thanks for sharing, always enjoy your TRs. The pic for offerendum, lol however, those are quite choice
Old Jun 3, 16, 11:43 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by benjahman View Post
The pic for offerendum, lol however, those are quite choice
Some people know what I expect
Old Jun 3, 16, 12:59 pm
Community Director

Nice shoes, jacket, briefcase. I like your style.

I'm looking forward to your report on Park Hyatt Dubai. We have an upcoming stay, our first since a not so great stay the first months they were open. You beguiled us into booking Al Maha after an exceptional report. We'll spend our first night in Dubai at PH before heading there. I'd love to know your thoughts as to how we make that transfer.
Old Jun 3, 16, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Great start to your report! Looking forward to reading about the LH F experience!
Old Jun 4, 16, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Thanks, always nice to read about LHFCT. Only issue is, that you aren´t able to drive the cars yourself. Race with an Airbus
Agreed offerendum, this would be the ultimate LH F perk...

Originally Posted by DetailsIM View Post
I came for the food but staying for the attire. Sharp dressed traveler. Feel free to share what type of bag ya carry. I'm diggin' it.
Thanks a lot for the kind words DetailsIM! It's a Berluti bag.

Originally Posted by benjahman View Post
JohnRain busy again pleasing the FT masses. Bravo. Thanks for sharing, always enjoy your TRs. The pic for offerendum, lol however, those are quite choice
Thank you very much benjahman, glad that you like the report and the shoes...

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Some people know what I expect
I'm trying offerendum, I'm trying...

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Nice shoes, jacket, briefcase. I like your style.

I'm looking forward to your report on Park Hyatt Dubai. We have an upcoming stay, our first since a not so great stay the first months they were open. You beguiled us into booking Al Maha after an exceptional report. We'll spend our first night in Dubai at PH before heading there. I'd love to know your thoughts as to how we make that transfer.
Thanks so much for your compliments SanDiego1K, really glad that you like my reports. As for the PH Dubai, I'm confident you'll have a great stay. The great hard product is matched by an equally impressive soft product, which isn't always the case in the Middle East. The current management really knows what it is doing. As for the transfer to Al Maha, I would recommend the PH hotel car. I booked it for a return trip to Abu Dhabi (including 2 hrs wait time) for 700 AED (190 USD). A single trip to Al Maha should therefore cost around 250-300 AED (roughly the same as Uber). When I went to Al Maha I booked an Uber but it was a bad experience as the driver took the wrong exit on the highway and we lost over 30 mins.

Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
Great start to your report! Looking forward to reading about the LH F experience!
Thanks a lot stu1985! LH F is always a special experience indeed.

Update: the next installment will be online on Monday
Old Jun 4, 16, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain View Post
The CDG SEN lounge doesn't deserve to be photographed, as it's a windowless room that even makes some PriorityPass lounges look glamourous. The short hop to FRA was uneventful.

I wouldn't call it a windowless room with those big panes.
Old Jun 4, 16, 9:05 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
2019 Secret Santa

I'm trying offerendum, I'm trying...

By the way: which brand is it?
Old Jun 4, 16, 9:31 am
Community Director

As for the transfer to Al Maha, I would recommend the PH hotel car. I booked it for a return trip to Abu Dhabi (including 2 hrs wait time) for 700 AED (190 USD). A single trip to Al Maha should therefore cost around 250-300 AED (roughly the same as Uber).
Very helpful. I shall do so.

Search this Thread