AKS120 goes to Asia on Miles (F&J)- BA, KA, MI, KA, QR, Hilton & IC Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKS120 goes to Asia on Miles (F&J)- BA, KA, MI, KA, QR, Hilton & IC Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Made it to the end! Great trip report and, but the look of things, a great trip. I have no long haul travel planned until the end of June and this has given me itchy feet!!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Fantastic Trip Report. If I ever manage to find the patience to write one, it should sure follow yours as a template.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Great report - and very useful since I'm off to PEK, HKG, and SIN myself very shortly

Just a little nerd point: the aircraft vor CDG-LHR was actually an A321, not A320
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Wow ... a fantastic TR, dear aks120. Informative, witty and with great photography too. That's some serious Globe-trotting as well - your "HNL Gold" trip will be like popping to the corner shop for a pint of milk in comparison
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Very nice trip report - and I recognised a fair few places on the way, as we did something similar - combine Vietnam and Siem Reap on one trip but we flew through HK both ways. I had also read my Vietnam visa rules, so we did manage to fit the Angkor Wat trip in the middle of the Vietnam trip, and went to both Saigon and Hanoi, as well as the IC in Danang.

What surprised me a little though is that you were expecting amenity kits on the intra-Asia flights. These are just short regional flights, and airlines don't normally offer amenity kits on these flights.

You were very lucky on the CDH-LHR sector!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Ok, I have to say I mightily enjoyed that report, the pictures and your unique way of telling it. Thanks for sharing it.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Excellent report! Thank you for sharing.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: Meh
Love your TR's as often I frequent same places and airlines. Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:55 am

Enjoyed this trip report so much, I spent a few leisurely hours (intertwined with a few chores) reading your newly discovered previous ones as well.

PS yuk to sundried tomatoes from me too!

Have you used up all your amenities yet? Great for gym bags !

Looking forward to your HNL one!!!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for sharing! Excellent report.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Great TR with plenty of interesting anecdotes/observations; kept me reading until the end! I especially liked your coverage of some of the more off-the-beaten-path places, like Veitnam (well, far-flung for Americans like me, I guess).

I've always stayed at the IC Grand Stanford Hong Kong and, while very nice itself, I have never received the level of service you described at the main IC. I'm more motivated to stay there in the future, especially having seen that view! If you're looking to switch more to Hilton properties, the Conrad Hong Kong is absolutely fabulous.

Based on the number of ambivalent reports I've heard about QR J and F, it's nice to hear a positive one. I've heard many complaints of crews varying widely in consistency and being cold. Sounds like both your flights were very nice! Although an amenity kit without moisturizer is like a millionaire that has no money... I think I'll make it a priority to burn some AA miles on them.

Originally Posted by aks120
Now while we are on this, I am not a big fan of hot towels - they are normally during hot and always have a slightly peculiar smell. I much prefer an ice cold towel if given the choice! They also don't seem to smell as weird for some reason!
IIRC, cold towels are on request in QR F and you're supposed to be given the choice.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by headingwest
Wow, what a fantastic rice and noodles adventure you had aks120 The photos are truly amazing.

So I'm guessing it's now 'detox' for the next month to get over the Champagne swilling and calories?

Thanks for posting, it's really interesting to see all the different airlines, hotels and wonderful places. ^
Thanks - yup mini detox then on to my next planning adventure - Hawaii!!

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
My goodness, what a comprehensive TR! Excellent read though with great photos, I enjoyed the Qatar ones best. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
You are welcome - my first time on Qatar was really good - I will be back with them if they keep their wonderful sales on!

Originally Posted by chris1979
fantastic TR - great read.

thanks for posting!
Thanks ^

Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
Great trip report. You've inspired me actually - I've always wanted to go to Beijing and Ankor Wat but been nervous about doing it on my own. I'm going to pilfer your trip report for a plan.

1F
Don't be nervous I can certainly give you some tips but I never felt scared once. Being sensible and knowing where you are going and how - with a back up plan makes for a really good trip. I may have spent more on the hotel car etc but to me it was worth it to feel safe and get a great experience. Beijing in particular surprised me at how safe I felt - I loved the city and want to go back.

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
A great TR and a true labour of love. Thanks very much ^
Very true - this trip report took my a good few days to compile for here, and many hours writing it while I was travelling but I love to share my experiences, especially when travelling alone - no-one to tell my funny stories to except you lot and my family who I have bored to death!

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Made it to the end! Great trip report and, but the look of things, a great trip. I have no long haul travel planned until the end of June and this has given me itchy feet!!
Glad you enjoyed it - end of June must be a record for you! I am now a Gatwick warrior since moving to central/SW London so our Friday night LHR drinks may have to be better planned!

Originally Posted by JohnSIN
Fantastic Trip Report. If I ever manage to find the patience to write one, it should sure follow yours as a template.
Thanks for your kind words.

Originally Posted by BAMuc
Great report - and very useful since I'm off to PEK, HKG, and SIN myself very shortly

Just a little nerd point: the aircraft vor CDG-LHR was actually an A321, not A320
Whoops - good spot - I will change that immediately! The original was due to be an A320 and I never changed the report. Thanks

Originally Posted by T8191
Wow ... a fantastic TR, dear aks120. Informative, witty and with great photography too. That's some serious Globe-trotting as well - your "HNL Gold" trip will be like popping to the corner shop for a pint of milk in comparison
Thanks Uncle T - glad you enjoyed it. HNL will seem like a small jaunt but looking forward to it just the same.

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
I had also read my Vietnam visa rules, so we did manage to fit the Angkor Wat trip in the middle of the Vietnam trip, and went to both Saigon and Hanoi, as well as the IC in Danang.

What surprised me a little though is that you were expecting amenity kits on the intra-Asia flights. These are just short regional flights, and airlines don't normally offer amenity kits on these flights.
I will read the visa rules more carefully in future - a combination of manic work hours and a slightly relaxed attitude equalled a busy replanning period! I guess for a 3-odd hour sortie I expected something but that was a mistake - I will know better for the future.

Originally Posted by deovrat
Ok, I have to say I mightily enjoyed that report, the pictures and your unique way of telling it. Thanks for sharing it.
Many thanks - glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Excellent report! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks

Originally Posted by stevie
Love your TR's as often I frequent same places and airlines. Thanks.
Hopefully get to read one of yours soon!

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Enjoyed this trip report so much, I spent a few leisurely hours (intertwined with a few chores) reading your newly discovered previous ones as well.

PS yuk to sundried tomatoes from me too!
So glad you managed to catch up on my other reports - they were just as much fun to write. Sun-dried tomatoes should be banned from this world - there is no need for them

Originally Posted by phranktzi
Thank you for sharing! Excellent report.
^

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Great TR with plenty of interesting anecdotes/observations; kept me reading until the end!

I've always stayed at the IC Grand Stanford Hong Kong and, while very nice itself, I have never received the level of service you described at the main IC. I'm more motivated to stay there in the future, especially having seen that view! If you're looking to switch more to Hilton properties, the Conrad Hong Kong is absolutely fabulous.
I have stayed in both ICs in Hong Kong and I did like the Grand Stanford but I love the IC Hong Kong. Despite always booking the lowest room, and not really spending the big bucks in the hotel that I am sure others do, I have always been well treated and welcomed back like a family member - not so in any other hotel I have ever stayed in. It is definitely the one hotel I break my rule for - not staying in the same place twice!

Regards aks120
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Absolutely wonderful!! Looking forward to the rest and your impressions of Siem Reap.
Missed your comment earlier - sneaked in the middle of the report! Glad you enjoyed it!

Regards

aks120
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Great TR aks120 I really enjoyed it, thank you.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What a great TR aks120 thanks for taking so much time and effort. Flowed brilliantly and fantastic pics. I've been to a few of the for places but you've made we want to go back for more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.