SIN-AMS with SQ J on the brand new A350-900

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 5:10 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
SIN-AMS with SQ J on the brand new A350-900

Intro
Flew FRA-SIN on the A380 and then back to AMS on the A359 which was way more exciting. I won't be able to comment much on the meal service as I was sound asleep after a working week without much sleep in Singapore but the pictures might interest some of you. I wish I could have told more on the menu, the food and so on but I was dead tired and managed to get a 9 hour sleep.

Check in

Check-in was great. Absolutely no one on that day in Changi at check-in time so I even went to the First Class desk and got checked in. Seat 19A which is right in front of the galley but that didn't prevent me from sleeping VERYYYY well. Boarding was rather efficient given passengers were just asked to walk down to the plane. As I boarded the plane, they asked me to show them my boarding pass so flashed it accordingly and got served some Mr. SeamasterLux for the reminder of the flight all the time they addressed me. I must say SQ has the most astonishingly good looking onboard staff I've seen, on par with AF in their best days. Super kind and patient as well.

Name:  4MVjvNN.jpg
Views: 4559
Size:  296.7 KB

I asked not to be disturbed during the night. I just took a glass of Taittinger to help me sleep and off I was. But not without playing a bit with the surroundings of my beautiful pod. I can't stress how much I love their new seats. Being used to LH and LX J seats, SQ is like a breath of fresh air.

Name:  S4KgG3K.jpg
Views: 4471
Size:  261.2 KB
Name:  TJYtW8L.jpg
Views: 4460
Size:  309.8 KB

Seat

The seat has approximately the same width but is still slightly narrower. That does not change the fact that SQ J seats are by far wider than any other company I've flown in J. The IFE screen is very big and displays nice colors and now, one of my favorite features, the touch-screen remote control. This is an amazing addition, not to mention the fact that you can link your device to command the IFE. Totally geeky but love it.

Name:  qVxYnXd.jpg
Views: 4514
Size:  329.2 KB
Name:  2N1h9jY.jpg
Views: 4474
Size:  292.3 KB
Name:  inRLUYF.jpg
Views: 4459
Size:  311.6 KB
Name:  CkrbT3S.jpg
Views: 4434
Size:  327.8 KB
Name:  AGUGJXP.jpg
Views: 4459
Size:  289.2 KB
Name:  GQveNSW.jpg
Views: 4483
Size:  359.9 KB

There are plenty of commands everywhere for the seat and the lights with various intensity which is well thought through. I didn't lack storage space and the headset was good enough. The bed transformation is just like on other SQ aircrafts and everything happens when you flip over the main part.

Name:  Be4Zmx5.jpg
Views: 4442
Size:  402.4 KB
Name:  DURaHE6.jpg
Views: 4446
Size:  327.0 KB
Name:  FE2jYEj.jpg
Views: 4398
Size:  347.9 KB
Name:  b7wlNYv.jpg
Views: 4387
Size:  458.9 KB

I had breakfast when I woke up which was decent enough but I slept better on that plane than during an entire week at the Grand Hyatt Singapore.

Conclusion

++
- Loved the staff
- Amazing new pod
- Very comfortable bed
- Extraordinary remote control and possibility to link with tablet or phone
- Great IFE screen

--
- Slightly less storage space, especially if you're on a window seat as there aren't anymore the side storages (on which you needed to push to open).
- Quality of the breakfast could be slightly better, especially the croissants but i'm being difficult here. I'm French after all and take my Danish pastries (viennoiseries, how the hell did it translate from Viennese to Danish???) quite seriously.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:49 am

Great TR! the new A350 looks great
Old May 23, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
You can't go wrong with SQ, great crew & a brand new bird!!
Old May 23, 2016, 9:55 am

How is the cabin and seating for travelling with someone? Are the pods so closed in that you couldn't speak to your travel partner without leaning forward or contorting your body in some fashion?
Old May 23, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
It has a nice fresh look^
Old May 23, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Love the look of SQ A350 in J ! Add another one to my to-fly list...

Thanks for the pics (although you could have sacrificed yourself to give us the menu )

There have been a handful of flights where I have been so tired I have zonked out at takeoff ! It didn't matter what plane or COS !
Old May 23, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Gotta' love that new plane smell . Thanks for sharing!!
Old May 23, 2016, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
I flew the new business class on SQ on several sectors at this point on the LHR-SIN 77WN service and AMS-SIN route on the A359. Overall; SQ really did a good job with the new J seats despite being slightly narrower, with elements like the reverse herringbone style privacy divider affording it a great deal of privacy and the great amount of storage space. In terms of the other aspects of the hard product; I found that ergonomically speaking, the charging ports are a lot better placed; which is a minor quibble I have about the 'old' business product, where I couldn't charge larger electronic devices using the outlet. Unfortunately they haven't made their IFE touchscreen yet, which is a shame. Overall more a evolution than a revolution(their words not mine), but a nice refresh on an excellent product.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Could pass for an F cabin, methinks?
Old May 23, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Great TR! the new A350 looks great
Thanks! Yes, it's a very nice aircraft.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
You can't go wrong with SQ, great crew & a brand new bird!!
Absolutely right.

Originally Posted by farbster
How is the cabin and seating for travelling with someone? Are the pods so closed in that you couldn't speak to your travel partner without leaning forward or contorting your body in some fashion?
They've made the pods rather discreet from one another but you can still totally talk to one another, my neighbours did that for an hour before take off without any issue.

Originally Posted by offerendum
It has a nice fresh look^
I do agree. Everything was so spot clean, not used to this on a plane.

Originally Posted by xray
Love the look of SQ A350 in J ! Add another one to my to-fly list...

Thanks for the pics (although you could have sacrificed yourself to give us the menu )

There have been a handful of flights where I have been so tired I have zonked out at takeoff ! It didn't matter what plane or COS !
Very true, my bad. To be honest, I forgot as I was just in a hurry to sleep. Then the flying attendant told me I hit her when she tried to wake me up for breakfast. Haha, I'm violent when i want to sleep.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Gotta' love that new plane smell . Thanks for sharing!!
My pleasure! It's not very detailed but the pictures say a lot.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongl
Could pass for an F cabin, methinks?
Interesting you'd say that. Having flown LX F recently, I actually was thinking that I prefer the overall SQ J product on the A359 compared to the LX F A333.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:35 am

Appreciate the review as I just booked this flight for early next year. The SQ business product looks outstanding....... Thanks
Old May 24, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flipping over the seat to get it into a bed and the inability to really find a good "lounging" position make the SQ seat a loser in my book. Any reverse herringbone is more comfortable and easier to use. If you want width, then I guess SQ is your seat but I prefer recline and ability to "slide" into a bed.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:29 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Row 19 wasn't an issue near the galley? Is it worth risking being in a bassinet row for the bench? Great TR, thanks for posting! Flying this next year on SFO-SIN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.